Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Andi Land

Nawiliwili: is it a worthwhile stop?

Recommended Posts

I’m looking at two Hawaii itineraries for 2021. One stops in Nawiliwili and is 18 days. The other does not stop there and is 17 days. Otherwise, the itineraries are identical. So, is it worth it to take the longer trip?

 

I know for most people it’s only 1 additional day but due to when they depart, the 18 day trip would cost me 3 additional vacation days over the 17 day trip. 

 

Thanks for for any help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed it and thought it was worthwhile.  We did a tour through Roberts Hawaii to the Hawaiian Grand Canyon (sorry, don't remember the proper name for it).  It was quite spectacular.  But three more vacation days; that's quite a cost to a limited resource!  If this is the only time you'll cruise to Hawaii, I would do it.  If you think you might go back, you could do the 17 day cruise now and use those three days in another trip this year.  I don't mind having something that I haven't seen in a region that I need to go back to see (when I get there); it gives me an excuse to go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

I’m looking at two Hawaii itineraries for 2021. One stops in  Nawiliwili and is 18 days. The other does not stop there and is 17 days. Otherwise, the itineraries are identical. So, is it worth it to take the longer trip?

 

I know for most people it’s only 1 additional day but due to when they depart, the 18 day trip would cost me 3 additional vacation days over the 17 day trip. 

 

Thanks for for any help. 

Kauai has always been our most favorite island. If you decided to do Kauai, you need to book a shore excursion either with HAL or private. Or make arrangements for a rental car as there is nothing to do in Nawiliwili. It is an industrial port. And Lahui isn’t of much interest either. Either do the north shore to the end of the road or go to Waimea Canyon which looks like a green Grand Canyon. You can also cruise on the Waimea River. You will have to do some research as it is impossible to see the whole island in a day as the road doesn’t completely circle the island due to the Pali Cliff. Kauai is more laid back country than the other islands. It is the oldest and I definitely think the prettiest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been to Nawiliwili twice and enjoyed it.  We did shore excursions the first time we were there.  The second time we went out on our own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have been to Nawiliwili twice and enjoyed it.  We did shore excursions the first time we were there.  The second time we went out on our own.

We enjoy going to "Nawiliwili" if for other reason than to say we have been there.   They have a Walmart there too.

Edited by boards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andi Land said:

So, is it worth it to take the longer trip?

"Worth it" is really up to you.

 

I loved Kauai.  We did the Tubin' the Ditch excursion there.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

 

And WalMart was handy after being on the ship for a few days and figuring out what we forgot to bring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

"Worth it" is really up to you.

 

I loved Kauai.  We did the Tubin' the Ditch excursion there.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

 

And WalMart was handy after being on the ship for a few days and figuring out what we forgot to bring.

I've done the Tubin' the Ditch excursion twice and would love to do it again.  What a hoot!  I've also done car rentals a couple of times, once driving to Waimea Canyon and driving up the other coast the second time to the beach where South Pacific was filmed.  Tubin' the Ditch wins hands down if your physically able.  The first time the tour was offered through the ship.  The second time they didn't offer it and we had to book it on our own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree..."worth it" is totally up to you, and as we don't know you, not sure how we are to make the decision for you.

 

It appears you haven't been to Hawaii. I would say every island and stop is "worth it".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Agree..."worth it" is totally up to you, and as we don't know you, not sure how we are to make the decision for you.

 

It appears you haven't been to Hawaii. I would say every island and stop is "worth it".

Thank you! Yes, it is important to point out I have not been to Hawaii. I appreciate the feedback that every island is worthwhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I enjoyed it and thought it was worthwhile.  We did a tour through Roberts Hawaii to the Hawaiian Grand Canyon (sorry, don't remember the proper name for it).  It was quite spectacular.  But three more vacation days; that's quite a cost to a limited resource!  If this is the only time you'll cruise to Hawaii, I would do it.  If you think you might go back, you could do the 17 day cruise now and use those three days in another trip this year.  I don't mind having something that I haven't seen in a region that I need to go back to see (when I get there); it gives me an excuse to go back.

Thank you! Yes, the extra 3 days of vacation  is quite the limited resource. But, I’m planning this trip for my 25th wedding anniversary and you’ve convinced me it’s worth it. Thank you so much for the positive insight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been to Hawaii many times, both cruising and land trips.  I have to say that Nawiliwili is my absolute favorite stop on a Hawaiian cruise!  Waimea Canyon is pretty, but if you want to have some BIG fun, then I highly suggest doing the 50 minute helicopter flight with Safari Helicopters!  OMG!  What a blast!  In 30 cruises, this has been the best thing we have ever done.  If you decide to book, choose a morning flight, as Kauai tends to cloud up later in the day and afternoon flights are often cancelled.  Have fun! :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had booked a helicopter tour on Kauai in April, but missed out as the weather got a little rocky and the ship couldn't get into the harbour safely that day 😞   I don't know how often Nawiliwili is missed, but I would hate for you to book the extra vacation days then miss out on the port!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting in and out of the harbor in Nawiliwili is quite the feat but oh, yes ... the port of call is definitely worth it in my book.  You are within walking distance to a nice little bay with the Marriott on one end and a Duke's restaurant on the other ... with other little shops and such in between.  It is a great place to hang out on the lawn or the beach and grab a cocktail and appetizer at one of the restaurants there.  You can watch the locals taking their dogs out on their paddle boards there ... or take a dip in the water.  We also saw many whales there right off the side of the ship so keep your eyes open.  

But, if you've not been to Kauai before, a trip to Waimea Canyon (sp?), to Poipu Beach or the boat ride up the river to Fern Grotto is definitely in order.  We saw riders 'tubing the ditch' ... which also looked like a blast.  There are many fields and desolate areas in the middle of the island which were bought up by some celebrities to keep it au natural instead of overrun with industry.  

It really is a beautiful island and not one I would choose to skip...but my schedule is very flexible so that's easy for me to say.  

Happy anniversary ... with whatever you decide to do! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kauai is my favorite Hawaiian island.  Waimea Canyon, Napaloi Coast, highways that are easy to navigate as a driver, the lovely scenery everywhere, a scenic harbor, and the friendly people who have the Aloha spirit:  what's not to enjoy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

"Worth it" is really up to you.

 

I loved Kauai.  We did the Tubin' the Ditch excursion there.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

 

And WalMart was handy after being on the ship for a few days and figuring out what we forgot to bring.

How did you get to where the excursion starts?  I am seriously looking into booking this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

How did you get to where the excursion starts?  I am seriously looking into booking this.  

Hmmm....I thought I answered this, but the post isn't showing....

 

Anyway, they (the Tubin' the Ditch) people picked us up at the dock.  Right offhand I don't recall if we booked independently or through the cruise line.  I'm not in a place where I can look that up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hawaii was our first ever HAL cruise and we thought our stop in nahwiliwili  was the best day of the cruise, we zip-lined and it was absolutely beautiful pristine country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kauai is our favorite!  First time did the Helicopter with Blue Hawaiian.   Amazing!  Flying into Waimea Canyon was incredible!  Second time booked a tour through HAL that was a Small Group and went to locations where Movies were filmed.  A fun, informative tour with great Scenery.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never understood why most cruise ships sailing in/out of Kauai can't seem to take an extra hour or so to cruise offshore along the Na Pali coast line, one of the most scenic spots on the planet....my experience is that it seems they are in such a hurry to continue to the next port that they deprive the passengers of a very scenic experience.  Seeing the coastline from the ocean is a very special experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information.  I found their website online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

How did you get to where the excursion starts?  I am seriously looking into booking this.  

When we booked this tour through the ship the tour operator picked us up and dropped us off at the pier.  We used a taxi when we booked it on our own.  The tour operator's location isn't an expensive taxi ride and you might be able to share a taxi either going or coming with other ship's passengers.  The last time we did it, 2017 off a Princess ship, it wasn't offered on the ship but we shared a taxi with cast members from the production show team on the ship who were going on the same tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, Andi Land said:

I’m looking at two Hawaii itineraries for 2021. One stops in Nawiliwili and is 18 days. The other does not stop there and is 17 days. Otherwise, the itineraries are identical. So, is it worth it to take the longer trip?

 

I know for most people it’s only 1 additional day but due to when they depart, the 18 day trip would cost me 3 additional vacation days over the 17 day trip. 

 

Thanks for for any help. 

I think it is worth a stop.  This the Island most Hawaaians go for a vacation,  I have been there a few times and I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dockman said:

I have never understood why most cruise ships sailing in/out of Kauai can't seem to take an extra hour or so to cruise offshore along the Na Pali coast line, one of the most scenic spots on the planet....my experience is that it seems they are in such a hurry to continue to the next port that they deprive the passengers of a very scenic experience.  Seeing the coastline from the ocean is a very special experience.

 

There may be HI state restrictions on how close ships, particularly large cruise ships, can be to the coastline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oceanmom said:

 

There may be HI state restrictions on how close ships, particularly large cruise ships, can be to the coastline.

 

I don't think so.  NCL Pride of America sails along the Na Pali coastline once a week.  You really would not need to be all that near to the coast to see the beautiful cliffs/mountains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...