Cruise Critic Community
Pauser

Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

40 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

Just providing a little update, I saw on the Today show this morning that the parents are going to be on the Today show on Monday.

Maybe they will tell us what they feel went wrong.  I don't know how this could have been the cruise line's fault.

All I do know is this was a terrible accident.

I would love to know WHY they are going on TV.  I would think they are still in a deep mourning period and not sure why the would subject themselves to an interview so soon.

55 minutes ago, jaja said:

I would love to know WHY they are going on TV.  I would think they are still in a deep mourning period and not sure why the would subject themselves to an interview so soon.

I would hope that they are going on TV to warn other adults not to do stupid things like what the grandfather did, but sadly they are probably going on TV to accuse Royal Caribbean of wrong doing.

58 minutes ago, jaja said:

It's so they can ask "...why would RCCL have opened windows in a children's play area?"

They'll also add "...if RCCL had locked that window, our baby would still be alive..." just as they were instructed by their attorney.

...the usual.

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

I would hope that they are going on TV to warn other adults not to do stupid things like what the grandfather did, but sadly they are probably going on TV to accuse Royal Caribbean of wrong doing.

Took the words out of my mouth. I understand the psychology of wanting to blame anyone but Grandpa. Unfortunately people who see this interview and haven’t researched it will believe it and take it at face value. I don’t see them deviating from the narrative their lawyer has already set up. Perhaps this was urged by their lawyer to put more pressure on Royal to settle quickly to keep the bad publicity down. It will be interesting to see how Royal views this interview on a national show telling everyone that their ships are unsafe for children, if indeed, the interview goes that way. They could either settle quickly, admitting no guilt or come out, guns blazing, to defend themselves and show how this was in no way their fault.  My money is on a guiltless settlement. 

Mary Ann

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, UFMOM said:

Took the words out of my mouth. I understand the psychology of wanting to blame anyone but Grandpa. Unfortunately people who see this interview and haven’t researched it will believe it and take it at face value. I don’t see them deviating from the narrative their lawyer has already set up. Perhaps this was urged by their lawyer to put more pressure on Royal to settle quickly to keep the bad publicity down. It will be interesting to see how Royal views this interview on a national show telling everyone that their ships are unsafe for children, if indeed, the interview goes that way. They could either settle quickly, admitting no guilt or come out, guns blazing, to defend themselves and show how this was in no way their fault.  My money is on a guiltless settlement. 

Mary Ann

Once upon a time....our ship was docked "somewhere" and there was another ship docked next to us.  We could see, from our cabin, that on the other ship....2 young children were playing on the balcony....climbing on the chairs to get a better view.  We could also see mom in the interior, doing whatever she was doing.  They went in after a couple of minutes.

The point of that story is that all parents/grandparents/baby sitters have done stupid things or allowed stupid things....but 99.99% of the time it doesn't end in tragedy.

Out of the goodness of their hearts Royal will probably settle (how much is a child's life worth) but I think the parents should donate that settlement to "something".  Grandpa did not do this maliciously and how many other people probably did the exact same thing.

Edited by April42749

3 hours ago, jaja said:

And this is so true....anyone not following this story will surely not be able to make an informed decision if the interview is slanted.

I had a friend post to her FB about this and ask how a cruise line could have open windows that a toddler could reach it and that the cruise line should be shut down.  I not only told her what really happened, I posted a video showing her how high the windows were and it was obvious if they were open or closed.  

There are no winners here.  I really wish the media could leave them alone to pick up the pieces.  None of their lives will ever be the same.  As to lawsuits - that’s the world we live in but no amount of money can make them whole again.

I, too, can't understand why the parents would want to appear on TV so soon after this terrible tragedy. I guess their attorney will be accompanying them.

Heather

5 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I would hope that they are going on TV to warn other adults not to do stupid things like what the grandfather did, but sadly they are probably going on TV to accuse Royal Caribbean of wrong doing

Or maybe we shouldn't be thinking that their first thought was "let's make money out of this", or "GP can't have made a mistake, it must have been the line that was at fault". 

They have probably been following the advice from their attorney till now. Whose advice they probably didn't seek but was offered as the only way to keep their still beloved GP out of jail.

Whose advice would you take? The one from the attorney who has seen 20 similar situations and says going on TV is the best option at this point to make a horrible situation not even worse, or your neighbor? It's not the family's day job to defend GP of which suing seems to be a part, while living the worst nightmare. 

And maybe they just want to tell their story, honest and complete, to put an end to all gossiping which of course they read on line as well. Maybe they do want to warn others. 

3 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Or maybe we shouldn't be thinking that their first thought was "let's make money out of this", or "GP can't have made a mistake, it must have been the line that was at fault". 

They have probably been following the advice from their attorney till now. Whose advice they probably didn't seek but was offered as the only way to keep their still beloved GP out of jail.

Whose advice would you take? The one from the attorney who has seen 20 similar situations and says going on TV is the best option at this point to make a horrible situation not even worse, or your neighbor? It's not the family's day job to defend GP of which suing seems to be a part, while living the worst nightmare. 

And maybe they just want to tell their story, honest and complete, to put an end to all gossiping which of course they read on line as well. Maybe they do want to warn others. 

Whose advice would I take....I would take mine and it would be to mourn my child, stay off the TV, don't talk to newspapers, etc., because I would really know what happened after talking with the Grandfather and I certainly would want to compound the guilty he must be feeling by going public with his mistake.

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Whose advice would I take....I would take mine and it would be to mourn my child, stay off the TV, don't talk to newspapers, etc., because I would really know what happened after talking with the Grandfather and I certainly would want to compound the guilty he must be feeling by going public with his mistake.

I agree.  I couldn't imagine, I just lost my baby in a terrible tragedy but I choose to go on TV to blame a cruise line.   WOW, if that happened to me I would have a hard time even getting out of bed each morning.

41 minutes ago, Marine Mom said:

I agree.  I couldn't imagine, I just lost my baby in a terrible tragedy but I choose to go on TV to blame a cruise line.   WOW, if that happened to me I would have a hard time even getting out of bed each morning.

With all due respect, we don't know if they are going to blame the cruise line on the show.

42 minutes ago, Marine Mom said:

This, absolutely!

GC

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

With all due respect, we don't know if they are going to blame the cruise line on the show.

I posted above at the same time as you.

I understood that comment to be emphasizing "how does one even get out of bed after losing a little one!?" rather than "what they might do or say..."

(I thought it was a given, elsewhere, that they had the TV interview.)

GC

I can’t imagine being about to talk about this so soon after it happened without crying, and certainly not publicly.  Often family members don’t talk at memorial services because they simply can’t.  I grieve for these people, it must be horrible what they are going through.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to hope that the family recognizes this as a terrible accident and simply wants to warn others. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

I can't find a link to post, but I've seen the teaser commercial for it a few times tonight. Where it says that they just want answers. So I'm going to go with not going warn others not to do what grandpa did. 

10 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I can't find a link to post, but I've seen the teaser commercial for it a few times tonight. Where it says that they just want answers. So I'm going to go with not going warn others not to do what grandpa did. 

If they are saying they just want answers, then Today should invite a RCL representative to the interview to provide those answers. Answers the family is not going to like. Of course this will not happen because it will be perceived as the big bad corporation bashing on the grieving family. For this reason also, the interview will be very soft.

Mary Ann

I have never been in their shoes so I can only guess how I would feel.

Going on the Today show would not be in the cards for me as I would

be alternating between crying to the point of being sedated and feeling  extremely

anxious both of which are not compatible with that. Plus I can't see how I wouldn't

be extremely angry at the Grandfather and that might come through in the

interview. I probably wouldn't be blaming the cruise line. I would take no pleasure in

any money gotten from this either. How very very sad.

The public will only know the family's side of the story.  A friend of mine said "Who leaves a window open in a play area?"  And that's what public opinion will be.

I doubt this is the first child to be held "in an open space".  Do you think nobody ever held their child on the balcony....so they could see the ocean? (I just got this horrible image in my head.)  People do things that don't seem dangerous all the time.

It was a terrible accident.  The family should leave it as that because when if gets publicized "the truth" (open window was obvious) will come out and grandpa will feel even worse and possibly face charges.

At this point, even if Royal wanted to do something for the family, they couldn’t.  That would be  akin to admitting liability.

Want to heal and move on?  Step-GrandPa should state....”I’m so devastated that this happened on my watch.  Please allow us to grieve and respect our privacy during this difficult time.”

No more media circus.  No more lawyer spin attempts. No more public interviews.

That would allow the family tp get whatever help they need privately.  If GrandPa is brought up on charges, then this dynamic changes.

But, there will be no healing until GrandPa initiates it.

hmm I read from a newspaper in puerto rico that the family was supposed to come back for questioning on july 24, now they want to go on tv first?  Perhaps the family lawyer knows that grandpa is probably going to be charged so trying to create a media version of events to put pressure on the officials in puerto rico to back off.  Well at least we all know that the media is always about truth and never have agendas, never!

21 hours ago, smplybcause said:

The only person who can give the answers is the grandfather and perhaps other family members who might have been there when it happened.   I have a feeling they know the answers.

Warnings everywhere not to sit or climb on railings. Any negligence her is entirely the fault of the Grandfather, who failed to heed the warnings. 

4 minutes ago, Zaphod1962 said:

Warnings everywhere not to sit or climb on railings. Any negligence her is entirely the fault of the Grandfather, who failed to heed the warnings. 

The adult family members will say they never saw the safety video that goes on non-stop on the cabin TV.