Cruise Critic Community
Pauser

Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yes, because it never stays civil.

That is definitely NOT the case.  I'm a regular on the Royal board, and there are always people saying negative things about Royal there, including one of the CC hosts there. 

No, they can't moderate that, because people simply can't behave themselves.  Someone always seems to take it personally whenever someone says anything good OR bad on the forum, and it quickly devolves into an utter crap show of name-calling and finger-pointing.  

As a regular Royal cruiser whose favorite ship/class is the Freedom which where this horrible accident happened, I'm extremely disappointed in both the media AND Royal Caribbean for not doing more to put the truth out there about this incident. 

Basically ALL of Royal's ships from Voyager class on up (pretty much every ship built since the turn of the century) have this identical glassed in pool deck area (it's possible the older/smaller ships do, as well, but Voyager class is the oldest and smallest Royal ship I've been on so far, although I'll be on Majesty in less than a month and will be happy to report back on that later if anyone cares).  

The entire cruising industry should be speaking out about the truth on this issue, IMO, because non-cruisers see the entire industry as being totally identical -- different companies / lines / ships mean nothing to those who have never cruised, in most cases.  Newbies will refuse to cruise with children because -- based on the way the family and their lawyer have portrayed this over and over in the media -- their child could just all of a sudden fall through a random open window at any time.  

Those of us who have been on a ship know that you simply cannot just fall off a ship without actually trying (or doing something monumentally stupid).  If the grandpa in this case had put the child on his balcony's railing and let go, who would the family blame/sue in that case?  What if he'd been down on the promenade deck or up on the sun deck and sat the girl on the railing and let go of her?  What if he'd been in the elevator lobby inside and sat her on the railing and let go of her?  Or on the railing around the top floor of the main dining room to get a better look at the big chandelier?  

Everyone knows that railings are there to keep people from falling (or out of a restricted area).  Everyone knows that you're not supposed to sit on a railing, or climb over a railing -- or set a child on a railing and let go of them.  And if the pool area were completely glassed in with no windows that opened, there would be no reason to have any railing there at all.  (It would also be well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit on any tropical cruise.... that would put us right back into the discussion about not leaving children in hot enclosed cars!)   

It says a lot that this exact pool deck design has been sailing for two decades -- over a dozen ships, millions and millions of passengers -- and never once has a child randomly fallen off a pool deck until this grandparent put this child on the railing and let go of her.  This is not a design flaw, and putting a sign up that says "don't put children on the railing and let go of them" every two feet on every foot of railing (which honestly is probably well over a MILE of railing on each ship) is not necessary to prevent this from happening again. 

I understand why Royal can't speak out in the media on this issue -- they are currently being sued, so everything they say has to come through the legal department.  But it stinks that the real truth isn't getting told.

And for everyone who is claiming "conspiracy theory" and "Royal owns the media" and various other comments of that nature... if that were really the case, wouldn't Royal be making sure all these "journalists" have an opportunity to board the ship and take a look at the "children's play area" firsthand?  All the media cares about these days is drama -- not the truth.  The truth is that this grandfather made a horrible, terrible mistake, and a little girl died as a result.  

You seem to be taking this very personal, I’m sure Royal and all of the cruise lines have fine legal and public relation teams that know what they are doing. Is the story still in the news? I haven’t searched for it, and I watch the news twice a day (mostly background), and I haven’t heard a peep. No one I know has even brought it up in conversation. I believe there have been a lot of shark attacks on the east coast, dd16 has been down the shore all week, dd18 at cape cod last week, and my family is going down on Saturday for a week. Will these news reports keep us from swimming? Nope.

RCL will just let this story get buried under new news, defending themselves will just keep it current, this thread is a good example of that.

Pretty obvious to me that it’s an open window.  Plus, everyone knows that you do not sit your children on railings.

@brillohead.....welcome to the NCL boards.  Appreciate your insight.

I will agree that that some (not all) of the Royal folks can get contentious.  Recently I was told I had “no class” over there because I refuse to dress in formal wear on Royal’s designated night for pictures to be taken.  I considered the source and refuse to respond to the name calling.

Some of the Royal posters have come over here in the past to denigrate NCL cruisers (me included).  To me, it sounded more like some sort of Royal gorilla marketing techniques as it became pretty vehement.

Not sure why that is, but it seems anything negative (like the topic of this thread) regarding Royal isn’t allowed over there.

I’ve sailed more NCL than I have Royal.  But, I have sailed Royal quite a bit, too.

If it’s not marketing attempts on what is probably the biggest cruise forum site on the internet, then some people over there are just not the sort I’d want to hang out with on a cruise.  They just don’t seem to be a very happy lot.

Regarding this thread, I believe we’ve looked at it from every angle.  I don’t think there’s much doubt regarding who’s at fault (GrandPa).  The lawyers can try to spin it...trying to make a buck off Royal.  But, unless they have footage of GrandPa slipping on an errant banana peel and losing his grip on the baby, he’s the culprit.  Was it an accident?  I’m 100% certain he didn’t do it on purpose.  But, at the end of the day, the child is dead because of his extremely poor judgement.

Don’t be a stranger.  I love hearing from people who sail other lines.

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If it’s not marketing attempts on what is probably the biggest cruise forum site on the internet, then some people over there are just not the sort I’d want to hang out with on a cruise.  They just don’t seem to be a very happy lot.

Like I said, there are some (NOT ALL!!!) Royal cruisers who are just too personally invested in the whole internet forum thing.  It's like their life consists of cruising on Royal and posting on Cruise Critic and literally nothing else.  

I've been cruising since the 80s myself, and I remember all too well the whole "dressing up for dinner every single night" thing.  While I don't begrudge those who enjoy dressing up, it's just not something I have ever personally cared for.  If dress code were THAT important to me, I'd cruise on one of the super-expensive-fancy lines!  I don't wear a swimsuit in the MDR, but I have no problem with a t-shirt and sneakers.  It doesn't bother me when someone at another table is all gussied up, so I don't understand why people at another table should care that I'm not wearing pantyhose and high heels?

Kind of like how people claim that an inside room is like a coffin, or that if they can't cruise in a suite there's no point in going on a cruise.  Cruises are amazing vacations BECAUSE of the multitude of options available to meet everyone's budgets and preferences... I don't get why people get upset about someone else's choices that don't affect them at all.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that there ARE some cool people on the Royal boards.... it's like walking around in a dog park -- you just have to be careful where you step!  💩

13 hours ago, graphicguy said:

^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree.  @brillohead you’re obviously one of them good ones.  I seem to find the mean spirited ones on occasion!

All it takes is a few who post all day every day like rabid Tasmanian devils to really turn you off the forum, but there really ARE cool folks there! 

I just put the Negative Nellies on my "ignore user" list and it makes my experience much more enjoyable!  

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

All it takes is a few who post all day every day like rabid Tasmanian devils to really turn you off the forum, but there really ARE cool folks there! 

I just put the Negative Nellies on my "ignore user" list and it makes my experience much more enjoyable!  

To be honest, reading the RCI boards is one of the reasons I haven’t sailed with them yet! Some, not all, seem to be a little bit less nice than I like.

6 hours ago, NayRN said:

To be honest, reading the RCI boards is one of the reasons I haven’t sailed with them yet! Some, not all, seem to be a little bit less nice than I like.

I'll be Diamond with Royal at the end of this month (my first cruise with them was 2013), and I've honestly never met any of the Negative Nellie types on any of my cruises.  I've been on big ships and small ones, and the vast majority of people are just normal people out having a fun vacation.  

You still get the occasional rude person cutting in line or whatever, but you'll get that anywhere in life.  Most people are just ordinary folks.  I've met people who have become friends in real life, and I'm going to my second cruise-friend wedding next month on Coco Cay (one of Royal's private islands).  I have another couple of cruise-friends who joined me on a second cruise last year and then I joined them on a third cruise in March and a fourth upcoming in November.  

If the cruises themselves had the same vibe as the forum here, I wouldn't be such a fan.  I'm a social butterfly, and a snobby, stuck-up, grumpy environment is not one that I would enjoy at all.

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'll be Diamond with Royal at the end of this month (my first cruise with them was 2013), and I've honestly never met any of the Negative Nellie types on any of my cruises.  I've been on big ships and small ones, and the vast majority of people are just normal people out having a fun vacation.  

You still get the occasional rude person cutting in line or whatever, but you'll get that anywhere in life.  Most people are just ordinary folks.  I've met people who have become friends in real life, and I'm going to my second cruise-friend wedding next month on Coco Cay (one of Royal's private islands).  I have another couple of cruise-friends who joined me on a second cruise last year and then I joined them on a third cruise in March and a fourth upcoming in November.  

If the cruises themselves had the same vibe as the forum here, I wouldn't be such a fan.  I'm a social butterfly, and a snobby, stuck-up, grumpy environment is not one that I would enjoy at all.

Thanks for this!! I guess it’s really true that people are more outspoken behind the anonymity of a keyboard!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NayRN said:

Thanks for this!! I guess it’s really true that people are more outspoken behind the anonymity of a keyboard!!

Oh, it's TOTALLY true! 

I think Royal and NCL are probably much more alike than they are different these days, as far as demographics.  

(even more off topic, I'm an RN too!)

Edited by brillohead

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Oh, it's TOTALLY true! 

I think Royal and NCL are probably much more alike than they are different these days, as far as demographics.  

(even more off topic, I'm an RN too!)

I was ICU...got too burned-out so I transferred to education...perfect position to hold me until retirement! 

It is curious that there has been no updates of this.  

14 hours ago, jaja said:

It is curious that there has been no updates of this.  

Not really.... the cruise line doesn't want to bring up "negative publicity" by bringing it up, and the family doesn't want to bring it up because they know they will be found to be in the wrong with all their claims of negligence against the cruise line, should anyone publicize the actual facts of the situation.

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Not really.... the cruise line doesn't want to bring up "negative publicity" by bringing it up, and the family doesn't want to bring it up because they know they will be found to be in the wrong with all their claims of negligence against the cruise line, should anyone publicize the actual facts of the situation.

and if the matter was settled out of court, they will be no public updates 

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I agree !!

No matter what happened, it was out of the news a few days after the incident, I doubt it will return.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

No matter what happened, it was out of the news a few days after the incident, I doubt it will return.

Hopefully the family has given up on going around to the morning news shows to plead their case to the public.... 

46 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Hopefully the family has given up on going around to the morning news shows to plead their case to the public.... 

Did they do more than one? I honestly saw only a couple of different news articles (and then just repeats). Even google does find much.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Did they do more than one? I honestly saw only a couple of different news articles (and then just repeats). Even google does find much.

Just one morning show that I heard of, thank goodness!

Today multiple local media outlets in PR are reporting that the Justice Dept will be filing charges on Aug 28th but their sources did not specify the chargesor indicate who would be charged.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/departamentodejusticiaradicaracargosencasodeinfantequecayodeuncrucero-2512298/

https://www.elvocero.com/ley-y-orden/radicar-n-cargos-en-caso-de-beb-que-cay-de/article_e07c9c02-c053-11e9-abd5-4738827cecf8.html

Oh, wow! I’m guessing it will be Grandpa getting charged? 

I’ve wondered if the reason the family is now “radio silence “ on suing the cruise line is because their lawyer finally watched the video tape footage, and realized that he wouldn’t have a case.

11 hours ago, nextcruiseis said:

Today multiple local media outlets in PR are reporting that the Justice Dept will be filing charges on Aug 28th but their sources did not specify the chargesor indicate who would be charged.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/departamentodejusticiaradicaracargosencasodeinfantequecayodeuncrucero-2512298/

https://www.elvocero.com/ley-y-orden/radicar-n-cargos-en-caso-de-beb-que-cay-de/article_e07c9c02-c053-11e9-abd5-4738827cecf8.html

Thanks for posting these.  

People commenting on the bottom of the article talk about what was seen by the cameras at the dock.  If what they say is true then I'm all for grandfather being charged, but I'm shocked there is video out there.  Or maybe I'm naive. 

1 hour ago, Jasonmom said:

If what they say is true then I'm all for grandfather being charged, but I'm shocked there is video out there.  Or maybe I'm naive. 

There are probably videos for inside and for outside. What the videos show is unknown. Who has seen the videos is unknown. If the videos will be presented in court is unknown. If the general public will ever see the videos is unknown...but is unlikely.