Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Pauser

Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

Recommended Posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nextcruiseis said:

 

Wow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t help but wonder if the parents are still making fools of themselves by suing cruise line. It was never a case of the cruise line being at fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't speak much Spanish but can someone explain why Google translate calls him the grandmother?

 

Obviously because Google translate is not perfecto.

 

In Spanish, the article is correct (male: abuelastro = step-grandfather).    Grandfather in Spanish is abuelo, grandmother is abuela.

 

Prayers to all, it's a horrible tragedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

 

Obviously because Google translate is not perfecto.

 

In Spanish, the article is correct (male: abuelastro = step-grandfather).    Grandfather in Spanish is abuelo, grandmother is abuela.

 

Thanks for the info.

Now I see the "abuela" + "stro" throws off the translation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nextcruiseis said:

Thank you for posting this update.  This incident has haunted me and it seemed like it had been forgotten by the news media.  What a tragic situation this is.  I hope justice will be done in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just a horrible situation all the way around. These families are destroyed forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a sad thing no matter how you look at it.

 

THIS article is saying that the lawyer is saying it was a tragic accident and they have not been able to view the video surveillance yet and intend to file a law suit against them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nwcruiselover said:

Thank you for posting this update.  This incident has haunted me and it seemed like it had been forgotten by the news media.  What a tragic situation this is.  I hope justice will be done in this case.

What is justice in this case?  Punishing the family more than they have been punished?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

This is such a sad thing no matter how you look at it.

 

THIS article is saying that the lawyer is saying it was a tragic accident and they have not been able to view the video surveillance yet and intend to file a law suit against them.

I'm guessing the authorities have seen it, since it was reported that it was given to the police after the incident, so that is how they determined the charges.

 

Very sad for the family, as they lost their baby and now could lose the step-grandfather to prison, but depending what the video showed prison might be appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is such a sad situation all the way around!  I don't feel he should get charged but he does owe the cruise line a public apology since he lied/blamed them.  There is no good outcome.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the family story did not mesh with the reality i am not surprised the man was charged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

It is such a sad situation all the way around!  I don't feel he should get charged but he does owe the cruise line a public apology since he lied/blamed them.  There is no good outcome.  

Why should he be exempt from being charged? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Why should he be exempt from being charged? 

 

 

Agreed.  I'd bet if it were a babysitter or nanny, the parents would say they need to be punished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

I'm guessing the authorities have seen it, since it was reported that it was given to the police after the incident, so that is how they determined the charges.

 

 

We can't really guess but if I were the mom I'd want to see that video so it should be shared with the family.  As painful as it would be, it's probably a necesary step in healing and moving on and if RCCL isn't sharing it then I don't have a problem with lawyer's suing to make it available.  Maybe it was the only way to get the footage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CP3o said:

We can't really guess but if I were the mom I'd want to see that video so it should be shared with the family.  As painful as it would be, it's probably a necesary step in healing and moving on and if RCCL isn't sharing it then I don't have a problem with lawyer's suing to make it available.  Maybe it was the only way to get the footage.

I don't believe it is up to RCCL to share it.  Since there was a death, it is up to the police department and if I remember correctly, they declined to let the parents see it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

I don't believe it is up to RCCL to share it.  Since there was a death, it is up to the police department and if I remember correctly, they declined to let the parents see it.  

That seems odd but if it is the case then a lawsuit and discovery phase by another lawyer might be the one way they could see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CP3o said:

That seems odd but if it is the case then a lawsuit and discovery phase by another lawyer might be the one way they could see it.

Not odd at all, when there is a death, the police department takes all of the evidence.

 

They are already said a few days after the incident that they were suing RCCL for negligence in the death of their daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad...sad!  But, regardless of how this picture was painted, the step-grandfather showed a complete disregard for safety and obviously his step-grand daughter.  I’m of the mind he could not have possibly been that oblivious to the extreme danger of standing the little girl on the narrow window ledge unless he was somehow impaired.

 

The truth may never be known, given no one wants to testify, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Not odd at all, when there is a death, the police department takes all of the evidence.

 

They are already said a few days after the incident that they were suing RCCL for negligence in the death of their daughter.

The parents and their lawyer were all over TV about suing RCCL for negligence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I don't believe it is up to RCCL to share it.  Since there was a death, it is up to the police department and if I remember correctly, they declined to let the parents see it.  

 

Yes, RCL provided the video to the police. The prosecutor's office has the video and they did offer the family & a lawyer (don't think it was the maritime lawyer) the opportunity to view it at some point in the summer (during the investigation and before they stated in Aug that charges would be filed), but the family declined. Now that charges have been filed, their attorneys will have access to the video from the prosecutor's office during the discovery process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, erdoran said:

What is justice in this case?  Punishing the family more than they have been punished?

 

 

Justice is holding a person accountable who caused a death.  Being family does not absolve criminal responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...