Cruise Critic Community
fyree39

Thoughts on Oceanview cabins?

Posted (edited)

When we booked our Crystal cruise more than a year ago (sailing in November), I was at first looking at the least expensive cabins. Then I finally booked a category B1 balcony. Is it silly of me to by-pass the less expensive cabins if it means I can cruise Crystal more often?  I have this fear that once we cruise Crystal we'll be looking to book more...and often.

We typically book balcony or higher, but on Crystal this can be cost prohibitive. Am I being silly for not considering the category C, D, or E cabins? For those who book these regularly, do you find them comfortable? And for those who book guarantee, does Crystal even have a "worst cabin on on the ship"?

Edited by fyree39

Posted (edited)

Sure they’re comfortable - with plenty of storage space for two guests - I can never understand the comments from those who claim there is just not enough storage space in them. Are they as big as some competitors - no way, we were most impressed with the standard cabin on Seabourn Encore however the hard product benefit could never make up for the soft features deficiencies. Remember that by and large once you leave your cabin on Crystal everyone is treated equally in terms of access and service 

Only you can answer whether you need and can justify a balcony and the additional cost - will you use it? and if so how often?

I assume you realise that the actual interior of the room is the same for both those with or without a verandah

I see you are sailing on Symphony - the E2 category cabins can be very obstructed view - have you reviewed the photos of views from E2 and E1 cabins on Roy’s site - https://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com/ ?

The E1 are my favourite as the obstruction is more subtle and typically dependent on the angle you are looking out of the window 

We like Guarantees - but we would always book tns lowest category we’re comfortable in so not E2 guarantee for us. Of course with guarantees hope for the best but be prepared to accept exactly what you ordered and paid for 

Edited by Stickman1990

FYI...the E, D and C cabins are identical to the balcony cabins minus the balcony.

not sure what you mean by worst cabin.  When you book a guarantee, you are guaranteed a cabin in the category you booked and always the possibility of an upgrade.

nancy 

Just agreeing with everything said above...  I've had a balcony a few times in the past, and the balcony was hardly used.  I even tried to make myself sit out there multiple times for a while and just relax, and it was no more enjoyable to me than what I already used the aft decks and promenade deck for.  I'm single, so I'm sure the experience is probably different for couples though, that can enjoy semi-private time together.

The extra cost for the balcony is wasted on me for sure.

Vince

19 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

+1

we have booked Oceanview in the past and were upgraded to veranda and we would have been perfectly happy with our window.   I understand if you are on a much longer voyage the balcony may be used but any voyage we sail (under 12 days) we are never in there.  I prefer MORE days than more balcony.

and OP you will want to sail crystal again and again...just sayin

I agree with most of the above.  The cabins are smallish, but there's and excellent space so the flip side of small cabins is vast amount of public space.  You will find generous space for lounging and relaxing all over the ship so a balcony is much less of a plus than it is on other lines.  Crystal really has no bad cabins but if getting a guarantee I would suggest C2 or better on Serenity (steering clear of the cabins very far forward on deck 7) and E1 or better on Symphony.

Roy

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

FYI...the E, D and C cabins are identical to the balcony cabins minus the balcony.

not sure what you mean by worst cabin. When you book a guarantee, you are guaranteed a cabin in the category you booked and always the possibility of an upgrade.

nancy 

On other lines there can be some horribly placed cabins, such as under the galley or over a lounge or theater. They can be very noisy at all hours, particularly those cabins under the galley. We once had an aft balcony on a Carnival ship that had one of the lounges just under it.  We would hear the band and singers rehearsing in the afternoons, just at the time I like to go back and have a little nap. Imagine trying to drift off to "Proud Mary" sung over and over and over again. *sigh*

Anyway, it sounds like that isn't an issue with Crystal.

We booked an OV cabin on our last cruise and 1 day into the cruise we asked if there were any verandah rooms available and we moved and paid the difference. It was our first time in an OV and whilst the interior is exactly the same we did find the room to be a lot darker and we realised that we use the veranda more than we thought we did. We like to go outside for sailaways, we like to gage the temperature before going on excursions, we like to sometimes eat room service breakfast outside and we always enjoy watching the ship come into port and dock. Yes, we can do almost all these things elsewhere on the ship but not in my pyjamas 😄

We now realise that we really do prefer to have a verandah but if it meant going on less cruises then that would give me pause. The other thing I would take into consideration is the area you are cruising - a verandah in the Med would be much more appealing and worth the extra cost to me then say a cruise with cooler weather and more industrial ports that aren't so scenic.

We are just back from the Serenity in an OV Cabin.  We would have wasted the verandah on that cruise.  it rained every day and it was a port intensive cruise.

I look at it as 2 types of cruises.  If we are in touring mode and are going to be on excursion, mostly we don't need the verandah.  If the ship is the destination and the weather is warmer, we might want the verandah. If we book the OV cabin, i like to be near the door to the Promenade deck if i want to go outside to see something, like the Statue of Liberty or Golden Gate Bridge.

When we did a sail in to Venice, I booked an Aft Corner Suite Cabin (on another line) and we sat outside in the sunshine for 3 hours taking it all in. Normally, I wouldn't book that kind of suite because just the cost from my normal choice was a whole cruise difference.  On Crystal, the aft or the Promenade would give you the same view. Amazing.

You have to book what you will enjoy and look at your budget to see what is most important to you.

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Me too.

The first time I sailed with Crystal I booked a balcony because that's what I enjoyed on other lines.........but once on-board, I realized that there were lots of public outdoor spaces that were quiet and uncrowded.  As a result, I was perfectly happy - actually happier - to spend time there than I would have on my balcony.   On other lines, the scant outdoor spaces were filled with crowds and noise, but not so on Crystal.  Since then, I've saved that money and gotten a window cabin. 

Count me as another vote for an oceanview cabin. And I'm like Kathy, as I love to be on the promenade deck so I can dash outside if I want to. Once, we embarked in Antwerp, and in the middle of the night, I got up and threw on my beach coverup over my nitey and went outside (careful to bring my room key!) b/c I was so curious about the scenery and which way we were going. I think it was a funky 4 am sailaway, perhaps having something to do with the tides.

I do like guarantees, and I do avoid the far forward ones (which is where you actually might hear the rehearsals or the actual show, depending on the time of day). So that means I pay a few hundred dollars more than the minimum, for location, but not a few thousand for a veranda. 

Posted (edited)

I was warned about the deck 7 OVs on Symphony on the port side over the Starlight Lounge bandstand area.  They are reported to also have noise bleed from the band.  I'm trying my first non-veranda next year on Symphony.  We'll see.........

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
grammer

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I look at it as 2 types of cruises.  If we are in touring mode and are going to be on excursion, mostly we don't need the verandah.  If the ship is the destination and the weather is warmer, we might want the verandah.

You have to book what you will enjoy and look at your budget to see what is most important to you.

I'm with Kathy on this.  We're usually on warm weather cruises, frequently with less interesting ports (the ship as destination, etc.) Also, I can spend hours out on the balcony (sorry, verandah) reading a book and occasionally looking out at the infinity of the ocean.  This give me great satisfaction. It's quite the personal choice.  (And either way, you're still on a great cruise.  Life ain't bad in the moment.)

Has anyone stayed in a D on deck 5?  I have just changed a booking from a Mediterranean cruise next May to HK to Singapore in February.  I have been allocated 5025, which I think is next to the toilets.   I know it's very convenient for my pre-dinner cocktail but are there likely to be down sides to this location?  Is it worth trying to get my TA  to change to another D in that block?

Sandie

I assume you're on the Symphony, where 5025 is the first cabin on the starboard side on Deck 5.  We were in 5018 last year and had no problems.  (We also book OV cabins for the cost savings, as we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin.)  My concern about 5025, in addition to the adjacent restroom, would be possible noise from the atrium and Crystal Cove, especially during the White Party.  If your early-to-bed types, your door faces almost directly out to the atrium.  We've found the noise insulation between cabins excellent, but with that proximity, it could be an issue.

58 minutes ago, SandJCruiser said:

I assume you're on the Symphony, where 5025 is the first cabin on the starboard side on Deck 5.  We were in 5018 last year and had no problems.  (We also book OV cabins for the cost savings, as we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin.)  My concern about 5025, in addition to the adjacent restroom, would be possible noise from the atrium and Crystal Cove, especially during the White Party.  If your early-to-bed types, your door faces almost directly out to the atrium.  We've found the noise insulation between cabins excellent, but with that proximity, it could be an issue.

Thanks for this.  In the interim I had my TA check and 5025 was the only vacancy so it's Hobson's choice unless I want to spend another £700+.  Fortunately I'm not an early-to-bed type!  The main thing is to be on the ship, right?!

Sandie

16 minutes ago, Lily'sgrandma said:

Thanks for this.  In the interim I had my TA check and 5025 was the only vacancy so it's Hobson's choice unless I want to spend another £700+.  Fortunately I'm not an early-to-bed type!  The main thing is to be on the ship, right?!

Sandie

Have you considered switching to an E1 on Deck 7?   I just checked the online booking option and it came up with several in the midship section, a couple I’ve actually stayed in previously and others that I’d be happy to stay in.  The staterooms forward of the lifeboats, and aft of the forward doors to the Promenade Deck, only have a very minor obstruction to the view - the canisters holding the inflatable life rafts that are stowed against the railings on that deck...

Anne...

Ocean views work well for us. However if the price difference is not much we would go for a balcony mainly for two reasons: letting fresh air in the cabin and having private breakfasts in the balcony. We do not find Ocean views conducive to have any meal in the cabin. More important than the balcony is for us however the location. For several reasons we book midship.

Ivi

On my only Crystal cruise so far, we stayed in 5022, a D on Symphony/ This was 2 cabins in from the Cove / reception , and it was perfect for us. This was a Baltic Capitals cruise, so very port intensive. We probably wouldn’t have used a balcony much if we had one. We really liked the location. It was great for pre-dinner drinks in the Cove and convenient for embarking / disembarking for excursions. It was funny in that by the 3rd day, all the bartenders who worked the Cove knew what both my mother & my preferred drink was. They would see us entering the reception area and by the time we made it past the bar, they had our drinks ready for us, even at 10:00 in the morning. It was a nice perk!!

For our next cruise in May 2020, we booked a D guarantee, as the only D cabin available was all the way in the front of the ship. I’ll continue to check cabin availability and if a better D opens up, we’ll switch to that. Or we’ll stick with the guarantee and maybe get an upgrade to a C2 or C1. If that happens, we’ll have to see how we like the location on deck 7 or 8 vs. 5.

10 hours ago, Lily'sgrandma said:

Sandie

FWIW (and please feel welcome to discount accordingly), I very clearly recall a tablemate on a cruise some years ago mentioning that she and her husband had booked the cruise on short notice and had been assigned 5025.  She said they'd been worried prior to the cruise that there might be noise problems with that stateroom (for the same reasons you and others have mentioned), but then went on to say they were pleasantly surprised to have experienced no problems from the location.

For anyone prone to motion sickness, this cabin location is one of the very best on the ship.  It is on the lowest deck and is in the location closest to midship.  I would not hesitate to book it.

Thanks very much to Jayayeff, Peapod2 and YoungDubFan.  Your comments were extremely useful.  Enquiries were made and I am now confirmed in 7055, with a saving of over £500 on the original price quoted.  Win Win!

Sandie

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lily'sgrandma said:

Thanks very much to Jayayeff, Peapod2 and YoungDubFan.  Your comments were extremely useful.  Enquiries were made and I am now confirmed in 7055, with a saving of over £500 on the original price quoted.  Win Win!

Sandie

Sandie,

The ‘obstruction’ for those cabins in the 50’s on deck 7 is the gangway that is stowed against the ship’s railing when not in use.  I don’t find it an issue as I can easily see over it and prefer that to a lifeboat or tender above the window, which can reduce the daylight...  There are a couple of photos from that location on Roy’s site...

https://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com/symphony/deck7view/

Anne....

Edited by Jayayeff