Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Hi there.  We have booked one of the DV1s on Deck 7 for an upcoming cruise.  We figured that the position of these staterooms would compensate for the lack of space. Has anyone any experience or advice to offer about these DV1s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are essentially the same as any other Deluxe Veranda stateroom, except that you are higher in the ship.  The accommodation area on Deck 7 is just off the forward elevator lobby, and that lobby gets a lot of traffic, because the Wintergarden and pool are immediately aft, and the Explorers' Lounge is immediately forward.  Fortunately, the corridor leading to the staterooms is a cul-de-sac, so you don't get traffic past your door.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally love deck 7..So close to explorers lounge and the wonderful Mamsens waffles..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is difficult to help you with this unless you explain a little more about what compensations you expect the DV cabins on Deck 7 to have.  All DV cabins, from DV1 to DV6, will be the same size, and have the same policies regarding the minibar, pre-cruise specialty restaurant reservations, and pre-cruise excursion reservations. Do you expect that there are some other specific benefits or advantages to being on Deck 7? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the location would be grand!!!

Also there are a few DV1's on the stern that I think I would enjoy.  But we always opt for v and use the $$$toward SSpackage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Richard2 said:

It is difficult to help you with this unless you explain a little more about what compensations you expect the DV cabins on Deck 7 to have.  All DV cabins, from DV1 to DV6, will be the same size, and have the same policies regarding the minibar, pre-cruise specialty restaurant reservations, and pre-cruise excursion reservations. Do you expect that there are some other specific benefits or advantages to being on Deck 7? 

Definitely not expecting any perks, different size or benefits - while new to Viking, I am not that naive.  When booking,  we speculated that we would enjoy using the nearby public spaces as an “extension” of our stateroom, thus compensating for the lack of space in the DV.

Yes, I know that people will say where you are on the ship makes no difference - you just go and enjoy whatever space you want, but it appeals to me to have the spaces like the Explorer’s Lounge, Pool and Lanai basically outside my door. 

Now that excitement and anticipation is really mounting (booked in Feb 2018 for our Dec 2019 cruise), I was simply hoping that someone out there in CC land had stayed in one of these DVs and could share their experience with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Vonnie's Girl said:

Definitely not expecting any perks, different size or benefits - while new to Viking, I am not that naive.  When booking,  we speculated that we would enjoy using the nearby public spaces as an “extension” of our stateroom, thus compensating for the lack of space in the DV.

Yes, I know that people will say where you are on the ship makes no difference - you just go and enjoy whatever space you want, but it appeals to me to have the spaces like the Explorer’s Lounge, Pool and Lanai basically outside my door. 

Now that excitement and anticipation is really mounting (booked in Feb 2018 for our Dec 2019 cruise), I was simply hoping that someone out there in CC land had stayed in one of these DVs and could share their experience with me.

It appears you have this figured out. Sorry I can't help with experience about those cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vonnie's Girl said:

Definitely not expecting any perks, different size or benefits - while new to Viking, I am not that naive.  When booking,  we speculated that we would enjoy using the nearby public spaces as an “extension” of our stateroom, thus compensating for the lack of space in the DV.

Yes, I know that people will say where you are on the ship makes no difference - you just go and enjoy whatever space you want, but it appeals to me to have the spaces like the Explorer’s Lounge, Pool and Lanai basically outside my door. 

Now that excitement and anticipation is really mounting (booked in Feb 2018 for our Dec 2019 cruise), I was simply hoping that someone out there in CC land had stayed in one of these DVs and could share their experience with me.

The close location to Explorer lounge is exactly why we have always stayed in 7012 or 7014. Also the room stewards are the same as for the Owner's Suite.  I don't know that they are more experienced or better trained, but ours have always been most helpful, i.e. a hot water thermos always refreshed so I can have tea whenever (no coffee taste from the "cup" brewer), our fridge was never not stocked or missed, room make-up was always immaculate.  Straight down to the gym on deck one, straight back to the World Cafe and pool.  We were there for the last World Cruise.  Don't let anyone else know what a great location this is!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, eylarson said:

The close location to Explorer lounge is exactly why we have always stayed in 7012 or 7014. Also the room stewards are the same as for the Owner's Suite.  I don't know that they are more experienced or better trained, but ours have always been most helpful, i.e. a hot water thermos always refreshed so I can have tea whenever (no coffee taste from the "cup" brewer), our fridge was never not stocked or missed, room make-up was always immaculate.  Straight down to the gym on deck one, straight back to the World Cafe and pool.  We were there for the last World Cruise.  Don't let anyone else know what a great location this is!!

 

Wow - a World Cruise - I can only imagine what a wonderful experience that would be! Thanks for sharing your insights on the location. Our only reservation  was the proximity to the lifts and stairs and the high volume of foot traffic in the area - did you have any major issues with these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prior to experiencing a Viking ship, we were concerned about noise in cabins near lifts/stairs. But now that we have done a Viking cruise, I don't think there's any cabin location that I would 'avoid' due to its proximity to lifts, stairs, or laundry room.
The stair/lift landings are separated from the room hallways by a doorway. The door is always open, but the small opening does a decent job of isolating elevator/stair sounds. And we almost never heard any noise from the hallway. The exception was probably the last night when there were many crew collecting, sorting and removing everyone's luggage (and communicating with each other up and down the hall) prior to disembarkation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vonnie's Girl said:

Wow - a World Cruise - I can only imagine what a wonderful experience that would be! Thanks for sharing your insights on the location. Our only reservation  was the proximity to the lifts and stairs and the high volume of foot traffic in the area - did you have any major issues with these?

Most of the foot traffic goes either to the aft.  Those heading to the Explorer Lounge usually take the starboard side since there are no doors and a double wide passage way.  We never were bothered by any sound from people going down the port side.  There are only 10 rooms so not that many people have a reason to come that way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the balconies for the DV cabins on decks 7 & 8 were a tad deeper (measured from balcony rail to cabin wall) than the lower level DV cabins.  This because the Penthouse Suites on either sides of those DV cabins at those levels had deeper balconies.  Can anyone confirm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the balconies for the DV cabins on decks 7 & 8 were a tad deeper (measured from balcony rail to cabin wall) than the lower level DV cabins.  This because the Penthouse Suites on either sides of those DV cabins at those levels had deeper balconies.  Can anyone confirm?
Pretty sure all balconies on both sides are the same depth. The only exceptions MIGHT be the aft DV cabins.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...