Cruise Critic Community
sullaRaffaello

It pays to check fares after booking

This past April, I had booked a C1 guarantee on the Crystal Serenity for the Nov. 12, 2019 crossing from Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale.  I would have preferred the cheaper C3, but it wasn't available. The total price for a single was $4915. I always periodically check the Crystal site and upon doing it in June, noticed that the C3 was available. My agent called Crystal and I was able to get the C3 guarantee for $4270. Then, today, while checking again, I noticed that there was no single supplement. I contacted my agent and she got me the C3 guarantee without the single supplement for a total of $3120. So, that's a saving of $1795, just for checking.

Very true!  I had my fare lowered considerably on last year's Symphony cruise after checking a few times.

~Nancy

Thanks for sharing. How to check fares for a B2B2B? With all discounts like crystal society, booking onboard, etc, I am not sure how to calculate in order to see if fares are lower.

Ivi

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for sharing. How to check fares for a B2B2B? With all discounts like crystal society, booking onboard, etc, I am not sure how to calculate in order to see if fares are lower.

Ivi

I'd think you just need to check the base fare before all the deductions since they are all a percentage of the base fare. If the base fare is less (although I don't think I'd bother if it was $100), then check with your travel agent.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:22 AM, sullaRaffaello said:

This past April, I had booked a C1 guarantee on the Crystal Serenity for the Nov. 12, 2019 crossing from Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale.  I would have preferred the cheaper C3, but it wasn't available. The total price for a single was $4915. I always periodically check the Crystal site and upon doing it in June, noticed that the C3 was available. My agent called Crystal and I was able to get the C3 guarantee for $4270. Then, today, while checking again, I noticed that there was no single supplement. I contacted my agent and she got me the C3 guarantee without the single supplement for a total of $3120. So, that's a saving of $1795, just for checking.

Thank you for the heads up.

Booked this trip after reading your post ,great price with no single supplement.Very happy.

Friend attempted to book the same, today however supplement  is back on.

I mentioned sullaRaffaello’s post to a friend booked on this cruise. She reported getting a $825 refund. Thanks from her. 

I just checked with Crystal this morning.  My clients, who are doing Barca to Lisbon and Lisbon to FLL, have no change to their PH fare, unfortunately.

Ricki

$3120.....congratulations.   Got me looking......About $100/day more today for same category.   Staying on for next segment lowers per diem to close to what you're paying.

The October 11, 2019 panama canal cruise has some significantly lowered guarantee prices.  The window guarantee has dropped a few times. Window guarantee is down to ~$180pp/per day.  VG is $355pp/per day. 

So I jumped on this bandwagon with my TA with regard to my upcoming September cruise but, as this will only be my third cruise, I didn't take into account that I had passed the deadline for cancelling and rebooking at the new rate.  However, I was offered $500 more OBC and they agreed to apply it to my January 2020 cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) instead.  I thought that was very fair indeed.

You don't ask, you don't get!

Sandie

So, on the Oct. 11 cruise they are still advertising Oceanview Fully Obstructed for $5000 pp. but you can book an Oceanview Guarantee for $2449.  Unless you absolutely have to have a particular location on the ship for motion sensitivity reasons, why would anyone book the former?  What's the worst that could happen?  You get an OV fully obstructed for 1/2 price.  Obviously they're having a tough time selling this one...even some suites are still showing available, and they usually go first.  We've got one of the OVG's.  Hoping to get upgraded big time (yeah, I know, probably won't happen.)

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SandJCruiser said:

So, on the Oct. 11 cruise they are still advertising Oceanview Fully Obstructed for $5000 pp. but you can book an Oceanview Guarantee for $2449.  Unless you absolutely have to have a particular location on the ship for motion sensitivity reasons, why would anyone book the former?  What's the worst that could happen?  You get an OV fully obstructed for 1/2 price.  Obviously they're having a tough time selling this one...even some suites are still showing available, and they usually go first.  We've got one of the OVG's.  Hoping to get upgraded big time (yeah, I know, probably won't happen.)

Same here except did the Veranda Guarantee.  Looking forward to meeting you and anyone else riding through from LA.  Our first Crystal Cruise now that the last kid is going off to college.  

Edited by NottheMonkey

On 7/19/2019 at 5:02 PM, NottheMonkey said:

The October 11, 2019 panama canal cruise has some significantly lowered guarantee prices.  The window guarantee has dropped a few times. Window guarantee is down to ~$180pp/per day.  VG is $355pp/per day. 

The OG is down to $1999 ($143 per day) and there's a PG now that's $7599 ($543 per day).

While that's not the lowest Penthouse per day on Symphony, consider this - the lowest fare on the now infamous August 2018 Panama Canal cruise was $168 per day! 

50 minutes ago, SandJCruiser said:

Why was that cruise "infamous"? 

Never, before or since, have so many *, had so much **, for so few ***.

* cruise critic members

** fun

*** dollars

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SandJCruiser said:

Why was that cruise "infamous"?  I ask because I'm on the Oct 11.

We (and about 100+ other CC members) were on the August 2018 Panama canal cruise. When initially announced, the per diem fares were among the lowest offered by Crystal in many, many years. The pricing was so favorable, the cruise pretty much sold out within a very few weeks after bookings opened. It's "infamy" was it's pricing. The cruise was typical-Crystal; great food, great staff, great entertainment, fun traveling companions.

We are sailing on the previous cruise to yours (LA-Caldera). At these fares, we are half tempted to stay onboard to New Orleans now...

Rob

Edited by ryndam

5 hours ago, ryndam said:

It's "infamy" was it's pricing.

That's one interpretation, ryndam, but it's not what I meant when I used the word "infamous."

Among the very large contingent of Cruise Critic members and readers on the August 2018 sailing were many rowdies, several near derelicts, six or more drib nuts, and at least three future permanently banned members of Cruise Critic. I'm not mentioning any names, you know who you are!

The Avenue rarely closed before dawn on that trip, I can tell you.

No worries, Sand J. Cruiser, you're going to have a lovely trip!

2 hours ago, drib said:

Among the very large contingent of Cruise Critic members and readers on the August 2018 sailing were many rowdies, several near derelicts, six or more drib nuts, and at least three future permanently banned members of Cruise Critic. I'm not mentioning any names, you know who you are!

Such a great summation, I see it’s possible to qualify in multiple of your categories 🙂 . To correct you slightly I believe some of the banees were already in that state so they weren’t future banned members at that point 

Interestingly it’s the anniversary of that cruise this weekend - this time last year we were in San Francisco getting ready to board 

We certainly had a great cruise and the Avenue was indeed well supported 

That Dubai Cruise next year is very tempting to add onto our Europe trip (also well priced) which follows it but alas it’s not too be as it would mean too much time away from our canine friends 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ryndam said:

We (and about 100+ other CC members) were on the August 2018 Panama canal cruise. When initially announced, the per diem fares were among the lowest offered by Crystal in many, many years. The pricing was so favorable, the cruise pretty much sold out within a very few weeks after bookings opened. It's "infamy" was it's pricing. The cruise was typical-Crystal; great food, great staff, great entertainment, fun traveling companions.

We are sailing on the previous cruise to yours (LA-Caldera). At these fares, we are half tempted to stay onboard to New Orleans now...

Rob

Join us!  More the merrier.  Celebrate Notthemonkey and spouse's first Crystal cruise! 😁 (prices way lower than when I booked - my TA did get an upgrade to a VG for me and some money back which was nice).  I think I will pass on upgrading to the PG.  

Thank you, Drib, for keeping my updated!  

Edited by NottheMonkey

Many new fares today - in all 433 fares on 60 different itineraries - Endeavor, Serenity and Symphony only, because that's all I follow.

Some were fare increases, but many were fare decreases.

Happy hunting!

Not sure of what your website is, but the one I think it is is blocked for me, don't know why.  Because I'm posting form Costa Rica?  How do I get to you?

26 minutes ago, SandJCruiser said:

Not sure of what your website is, but the one I think it is is blocked for me, don't know why.  Because I'm posting form Costa Rica?  How do I get to you?

Yes, but I just unblocked Costa Rica, so try it again.

If you continue to get that, I think there's a link below the message, and that will open your email client with my address in it.

Drib, thanks so much for all the time and effort you put into your fare compare! It's an amazing tool and makes seeing prices, fare increases/decreases and daily rates so so easy!