Amsterdam Salon (for hair)

Moriah

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

Does anyone have recent experiences in the hair salon on the Amsterdam to share?  How are they at hair-cutting, color, highlights, anything you've had done?  Prices?  Recommended stylist? 

We were on the Amsterdam for three months last fall.  I had my hair cut and colored twice.  I was pleased with the results but not so pleased with the supercilious stylist.  However, he may not still be onboard.  I thought it was pricey, but one expects that.  The last time he did my hair, he put a $50 conditioner on it without asking me, which increased the bill to $200.  I don't normally pay that much, and I certainly did not like his applying something that I had not agreed to.  If he is still  onboard, just be sure that he knows exactly what you want, and no more.

If you are coloring, bring your own and the measurements for how much to use.  I've been doing this for years after I found that it's nearly impossible for them to match your color, no matter how confident they are.  I think I get a discount due to them using my color.  I'm sorry I don't remember how much the service was.

The staff changes all the time as they are on contract like the rest of the crew. 

Linda R.

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

We were on the Amsterdam for three months last fall.  I had my hair cut and colored twice.  I was pleased with the results but not so pleased with the supercilious stylist.  However, he may not still be onboard.  I thought it was pricey, but one expects that.  The last time he did my hair, he put a $50 conditioner on it without asking me, which increased the bill to $200.  I don't normally pay that much, and I certainly did not like his applying something that I had not agreed to.  If he is still  onboard, just be sure that he knows exactly what you want, and no more.

Wow, thank you for this. If that happened to me I think I would refuse to pay for the conditioner. They really have no business giving you something you didn't ask for and then charging you for it! Do you remember the stylist's name so I'll know who to avoid?

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

If you are coloring, bring your own and the measurements for how much to use.  I've been doing this for years after I found that it's nearly impossible for them to match your color, no matter how confident they are.  I think I get a discount due to them using my color.  I'm sorry I don't remember how much the service was.

The staff changes all the time as they are on contract like the rest of the crew. 

Linda R.

Wow, I am in awe of you! I would not have a clue! I am becoming unhappy with the stylist I've been with here at home for years, and I'm going to need another cut/color just before my cruise, and thought instead of going through all the hassle of finding someone new before the cruise, I might try to get it done onboard.  If I do, I'll just take my chances I guess as far as the color goes.  I would never have a clue what to buy to match - I'm sure they will be at least as good at it as I would be :)

As for staff changing, of course, but their contracts are often up to 9 months or so.

25 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I would never have a clue what to buy to match - I'm sure they will be at least as good at it as I would be 🙂

I'm sorry, I should have clarified "bring your own".  I get it at my home salon along with the "formula" of the mix of color and what developer volume is needed.  Your hairdresser will understand what you are asking.  If they seem reluctant to give your your formula, explain that you are going on a cruise and will need your color done and you want it to come out the same as what they do.  Hope this is clear as mud!

Linda R.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I'm sorry, I should have clarified "bring your own".  I get it at my home salon along with the "formula" of the mix of color and what developer volume is needed.  Your hairdresser will understand what you are asking.  If they seem reluctant to give your your formula, explain that you are going on a cruise and will need your color done and you want it to come out the same as what they do.  Hope this is clear as mud!

Linda R.

oooohhh :)  Thanks, now I do get it! 

• Like 1

DW gets cuts and coloring on our cruises.   She tells me that during the whole process she is constantly barraged with suggestions for extras that really jack up the price.   That is the job of the stylist.  After you book a cut and color, their job is to sell you on extras like nail treatment, pedicures, and additional services.   You just have to specify that all you want is a cut and color.   I think bringing your own coloring agent is similar to walking into a restaurant with a raw steak and some eggs and saying "here.... cook these for me".   I seriously doubt that any discount is given if you provide your own coloring agents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

DW gets cuts and coloring on our cruises.   She tells me that during the whole process she is constantly barraged with suggestions for extras that really jack up the price.   That is the job of the stylist.  After you book a cut and color, their job is to sell you on extras like nail treatment, pedicures, and additional services.   You just have to specify that all you want is a cut and color.  

That's so annoying, and the massage therapists in the spa do the same - pushing the Elemis products while you are having a massage and wanting to relax.  I learned years ago to tell them politely at the outset that I won't be buying any products and that I really want a quiet massage. Thanks for this reminder. When I get my hair done on the ship I'll do the same at the start of the service.  (Actually I might let them talk me into a mani-pedi... 😊

Edited by Moriah

I have long, thick, curly, colored & highlighted hair.  Just did the 2019 WC on Amsterdam.  I loved the salon!  I went in three times during the four months and each time the stylist just wanted to play with my hair.  Almost every woman on that cruise had short hair, and I only found one other woman with shoulder-length hair who used the salon (by the way, she was NOT happy with it).  So I just let him go for it.

At any rate, I was colored & highlighted & conditioned & blow dried & curled and was very happy with the results.  Hair is expensive where I live, and this was about the same.  Not cheap.  I was asked about the conditioner in advance each time, had it done twice, and was not subjected to any other sell tactics.  

15 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

I have long, thick, curly, colored & highlighted hair.  Just did the 2019 WC on Amsterdam.  I loved the salon!  I went in three times during the four months and each time the stylist just wanted to play with my hair.  Almost every woman on that cruise had short hair, and I only found one other woman with shoulder-length hair who used the salon (by the way, she was NOT happy with it).  So I just let him go for it.

At any rate, I was colored & highlighted & conditioned & blow dried & curled and was very happy with the results.  Hair is expensive where I live, and this was about the same.  Not cheap.  I was asked about the conditioner in advance each time, had it done twice, and was not subjected to any other sell tactics.  

Hair is expensive everywhere I think.  I've been paying about $175 for cut/color/highlights for years now... but I'm disenchanted with my stylist - her work quality just isn't what it was.  I don't have time before the cruise to seek out someone new around where I live (which is a rural area and all the stylists know one another so it's awkward... so that's another problem)... It's so great to hear that you were happy with the salon on Amsterdam!  Do you have a name of a stylist on board that you would recommend? (assuming he or she is still there... I can at least ask) 

Glenn, I think ...he's probably the one that Tampa Girl described as "supercilious" in her first post on this thread.  He was certainly a free spirit, but I enjoyed him and was very pleased with my hair.  He was getting off the ship in June, or maybe this month, I can't remember, to go back home for a few months to see his daughter, and then was coming back in the fall.

8 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

Glenn, I think ...he's probably the one that Tampa Girl described as "supercilious" in her first post on this thread.  He was certainly a free spirit, but I enjoyed him and was very pleased with my hair.  He was getting off the ship in June, or maybe this month, I can't remember, to go back home for a few months to see his daughter, and then was coming back in the fall.

Thanks.  then I guess I'll be getting his temporary replacement.. - I sail in August.

Moriah thank you for starting this thread.  I've never gotten a haircut while on a cruise, but this fall we'll be gone for 75 days so it will need it at least once.  😳

I had heard before about the hard sell tactics in the salon, and if there's anything that turns me off, it's that!....so I'm having mixed feelings here.  Maybe I should just take my chances in port, there will be many opportunities...on the other hand,  the ship's salon is so convenient....oh my.

I hadn't even considered having it done in port... good idea....  Right now I'm leaning toward making a reservation for our first morning out of Seattle.  Not much going on that morning... might be a pleasant way to spend it.

But I am definitely going to be clear about not wanting to purchase anything other then the services I made the appointment for.  I get that's how they make their money, so I can't really fault them for trying, politely, once, to see something, but being relentless and getting obnoxious about it is counter-productive, and giving someone something they didn't ask for and charging them for it is definitely not okay, and I would not let them get away with that. 

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 1:13 PM, Moriah said:

Wow, thank you for this. If that happened to me I think I would refuse to pay for the conditioner. They really have no business giving you something you didn't ask for and then charging you for it! Do you remember the stylist's name so I'll know who to avoid?

I have repressed it.  And he is probably on another ship by now.

You can get the list of services & prices from the Spa Desk before booking anything.  That gives you the opportunity to discuss exactly what you want and what it will cost.  The special conditioning treatment is listed separately from the others.

My husband & another couple with whom we frequently travel, have all had their (short) hair cut in various ports and on various ships.  I can't recall any of them complaining about any services.  I do know that at least one of my husband's haircuts in a port was more expensive than on the ship.

Also, on longer cruises, sometimes they offer package deals, i.e. 2 or 3 haircuts or other treatments at a discounted rate.  As I said, check with the spa manager at the desk, sometimes when the stylists or other spa personnel are working the desk they don't have the correct info … or don't know how to work the computer for prices & scheduling.

(PS - I should add that one of the best - if not THE best - haircuts Mr Chew has ever had anywhere ever was on the Amsterdam in 2012, by Charlotte from South Africa.)  

Edited by Lady Chew

23 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

DW gets cuts and coloring on our cruises.   She tells me that during the whole process she is constantly barraged with suggestions for extras that really jack up the price.   That is the job of the stylist.  After you book a cut and color, their job is to sell you on extras like nail treatment, pedicures, and additional services.   You just have to specify that all you want is a cut and color.   I think bringing your own coloring agent is similar to walking into a restaurant with a raw steak and some eggs and saying "here.... cook these for me".   I seriously doubt that any discount is given if you provide your own coloring agents.

I was on the World Cruise 2019 on the Amsterdam. I brought my own color and DID get a discount on the service. Others on the WC did the same and everyone that I spoke with about the color, also got a discount.

Not the Amsterdam, but since staff moves are always underway...

Had a trim/reshape and blow dry in April 2019 on the Koningsdam with Martin (from South Africa, now resident in LA area). One of The Best I've had. Ever. No sales pressure whatsoever. If I knew he was on one of our future cruises, I would book in a heartbeat.

Pricing is considerably different from small town Central VA, but it was so worth it. They have price lists available for all services.

DH has had a couple of haircuts on various cruises and has always been pleased with the results.