Am I leaving myself enough time

Z3r0

My wife and I are thinking about taking the 9 night escape cruise out of Copenhagen in August of 2020.  I know it is too far to book flights, but assuming the airline uses the same schedule, they have a 10:40 am direct flight home.  It looks like the ship docks at 7:00 am, and if my google maps search is correct, the airport is 30 min away.  I'm I flirting with disaster thinking I can make that flight work?

1 minute ago, Z3r0 said:

My wife and I are thinking about taking the 9 night escape cruise out of Copenhagen in August of 2020.  I know it is too far to book flights, but assuming the airline uses the same schedule, they have a 10:40 am direct flight home.  It looks like the ship docks at 7:00 am, and if my google maps search is correct, the airport is 30 min away.  I'm I flirting with disaster thinking I can make that flight work?

I’d say say it’s a bad idea.

The real question here...and only you can answer it...is: What happens if you don't make it? Are you prepared to pay last minute fares for another flight? It is all a matter of risk. How much are you willing to risk, and are you willing to pay the price?

Do you have priority with the cruise line?   I wouldn't think you'll  simply be first off the ship and right into airport transportation.    I'd suggest looking for a 3 hour window at airports.   

• Like 1

Usually needed at least 3 hours window for airport/flying. You would also need to be there early to go through the security and all that at the airport. Before that, you need to be able to get off quickly and then to go through the security at the cruise terminal. Even if you do the walk off or be the first in line to get off, you would not have enough time.

You need to factor other things:

What if there is a delay of docking/allowing cruisers to get off?

The traffic in the city

We had big delays getting a taxi a couple of years ago - it took an hour after we disembarked.  And we were on a ship 1/2 the size of the Escape.  

Since you have a lot of time before you book flights, I agree with the previous post - spend the night in Copenhagen and fly out the next day.

Agree with above.  We did stay a night at the Hilton right at the airport.  Think it is now named something else.  The next morning it was a bit nuts at the airport.  Had to go thru several lines and then security.

Take a later connecting flight or stay a night after cruise and go the next morning,

Actually, yes, you can make it work. We did it just last week. Our flight was at 10:50. Did self-embark and carried our own luggage off. Left the ship at 6:55 AM, taxis were readily available, got to the airport at 7:30. We were flying British Air and had to wait until around 9am for the counter to open. We were close to the front of the line, checked our bags and got boarding passes. Security line was a bit long but made it through easily. Same with Boarder Control.  (Take the line on the far right - it seemed to move more quickly) We were at the gate with about 45 minutes to spare.