Jump to content

How sound proofed is an inside cabin?


Recommended Posts

You probably won't hear conversations unless they are yelling - but depending on where you are and whats above you, you could hear noise from a public space if you are underneath. If it is cabin above you, you shouldn't be bothered by noise unless they like to stomp or have rambunctious kids jumping around or banging into the walls next door. When we have had an inside cabin we have generally found them very quiet - more quiet than a balcony where you can pretty much hear everything going on if your balcony doors stay open. We tend to choose balconies more these days and book an inside for our kids and sometimes I miss the quiet and dark offered by an inside. They can be pretty peaceful!

Edited by karatemom2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have found inside cabins to be much quieter than balcony cabins. That said, we have heard unruly neighbors on either side of us, and noise from carts rolling across the hard floor of the buffet above us.  But I find balconies quite noisy, with sounds echoing off the floor of the hard surfaces above. Balcony cabins on ships always remind me of apartment living.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

After a 30+ cruises I just had an inside on my last cruise. It was the only cabin available that would sleep 3. I was freaking myself out about it and honestly I loved it. It was extremely quiet and peaceful. On the days I wanted to sleep in a little I could because it was nice and dark normally I'm up as soon as I see the crack of sunlight so that was nice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Until this year I would have said I never had a noisy inside cabin - then we had a GTY forward inside cabin on Royal Princess directly above the back of the stage of the theater. C203

That darned drummer drove us mad. Boom Boom Boom for hours a day as the show was on or he practised.

It was all about the bass.

After a week we asked if we could move and they didn't even come to listen to the noise we reported as they already knew of the problem from previous passengers.

They moved us up a deck and it was so much better, the last thing our cabin steward said to us before we moved was  that no-one ever liked the cabin we had.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We find Princess cabins very quiet.

Even ones near the stairs and elevator banks.

 

Seems I see a lot of complaints about forward cabins with Theater noise/Lido deck chair noise from above etc.

We stay aft.......

 

Only place I would warn about is any inside cabin that shares a wall with an elevator shaft.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot depends on the placement of the beds. If both you and your neighbor have twin beds flush to the side wall rather than a queen with a narrow path on either side, once it is quiet at night you just might find out if the person sleeping inches away from you separated by only a hollow metal wall is a snorer. Or thanks to the richer than usual diet is afflicted by noisy gastritis in their sleep. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fishywood said:

A lot depends on the placement of the beds. If both you and your neighbor have twin beds flush to the side wall rather than a queen with a narrow path on either side, once it is quiet at night you just might find out if the person sleeping inches away from you separated by only a hollow metal wall is a snorer. Or thanks to the richer than usual diet is afflicted by noisy gastritis in their sleep. 

For years now we have had twin beds because this placement gives much more usable floor space in the cabin. We haven't ever heard our neighbours, but maybe we have been lucky. When we had a cabin above the stage in the Princess Theatre, we heard the bass sounds during the late slow. Otherwise there were no noises.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

For years now we have had twin beds because this placement gives much more usable floor space in the cabin. We haven't ever heard our neighbours, but maybe we have been lucky. When we had a cabin above the stage in the Princess Theatre, we heard the bass sounds during the late slow. Otherwise there were no noises.

I prefer twins even when I travel as a solo. I don't toss and turn beyond the width of a single bed and it is much easier to "approach" from the wider middle gap. But when the steward sees just one name on the booking they always leave the bed as a queen no matter what I request in the personalizer.

 

Though I too have been lucky at guessing which side of the cabin will not have a noisy neighbor. Heard not a peep on my two Alaska cruises in inside cabins last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fishywood said:

I prefer twins even when I travel as a solo. I don't toss and turn beyond the width of a single bed and it is much easier to "approach" from the wider middle gap. But when the steward sees just one name on the booking they always leave the bed as a queen no matter what I request in the personalizer.

 

Though I too have been lucky at guessing which side of the cabin will not have a noisy neighbor. Heard not a peep on my two Alaska cruises in inside cabins last year.

Vs me who hates twins, I need to hold Mrs Gut.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only noise we've ever experienced in an inside cabin was when people stood outside our door and had loud conversations. Since the few times that happened was during the day it never bothered us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Griller said:

Until this year I would have said I never had a noisy inside cabin - then we had a GTY forward inside cabin on Royal Princess directly above the back of the stage of the theater. C203

That darned drummer drove us mad. Boom Boom Boom for hours a day as the show was on or he practised.

It was all about the bass.

After a week we asked if we could move and they didn't even come to listen to the noise we reported as they already knew of the problem from previous passengers.

They moved us up a deck and it was so much better, the last thing our cabin steward said to us before we moved was  that no-one ever liked the cabin we had.

 

Sounds like they need to turn that stateroom into a storage room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've usually had balcony rooms. The noise from those rooms seems to come from folks talking out on their balcony or their doors slamming shut to the balcony. 

 

We tried an inside once, just to see if we could exist living in one for a week. (Very doable in our book) I have great radar hearing, so picked one that would be surrounded by other rooms all around us. The only noise I heard was the very loud snorer in a room somewhere next to us. Wow! Could this person saw wood! Other than that, it was great! 

 

Go enjoy your cruise!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chabad said:

Is the soundproofing of and inside cabin equal to a balcony?  Or am I going to hear my neighbors conversations and snoring next to me or above me?

 

 

No sound.  It is more akin to a darkened padded room.   Very quiet.  Sort of like a sensory deprivation experience.  But, if you are sensitive to noise, I recommend that you bring ear plugs.   My first cruise I booked an inside cabin.  First and last time.  It made me feel deprived of light and sound, like I was in solitary confinement.  I could hear my watch clicking the second hand.   Drove me crazy.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chabad said:

Is the soundproofing of and inside cabin equal to a balcony?  Or am I going to hear my neighbors conversations and snoring next to me or above me?

 

They are the same , not the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I've always booked nothing but balcony on all my cruises. When j decided to extend my Alaskan cruise an extra week, while I was onboard, the only cabin available was an interior. Extremely nervous since I've never had an interior ever. Honest though, it was probably the BEST sleep I ever got. It was like my cozy little quaint cottage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fascinating thread :).  Must to talk about and also have some fun.  No way are we going to ask for Twin beds since sleeping apart does spoil some of the romance of a cruise (or anywhere else).  As to the aft having less noise that is not our experience.  In fact, read the Caribbean Princess thread about the noise and vibration towards the aft of the ship, not to mention other threads about soot on aft balconies.  And we have never enjoyed the "shimmy" often felt towards the aft end of many ships, weird vibrations from prop cavitation, etc.  If you choose a cabin on a high deck just under the pool deck (or the buffet area including its galley) you may well have noise from moving chairs, loungers, etc.  Choose a cabin near or above the theater (or other public rooms) and you may have too much noise from music, people, etc.  As to hearing noise when you balcony door is always open, YOUR BALCONY DOOR IS SUPPOSED TO BE CLOSED as an open balcony door compromises the HVAC for an entire section of the ship.  In simple terms, your open balcony door may cause a lot of grief for your neighbors!

 

So what to do,  1.  Keep your balcony doors closed (unless you are using them).  2.  Avoid aft cabins (many will disagree).  3. Before choosing a cabin pay careful attention to what is above, below and on all sides.  4.  Try to choose a cabin in a location that minimizes the foot traffic that will be in the adjacent corridor.   

 

Regarding corridor foot traffic (and loudly talking passengers) we prefer cabins far forward of the forward elevators.  Few folks walk to the forward end of the ship (on a passenger deck) except those who live in the cabins.  If you are amidships you will get the most foot traffic and if you are near the aft elevators (the elevators that lead to the Lido) you are asking for trouble.  By the way, if you look at the deck plans of most of the ultra luxury vessels, the cabins are in the forward half of the ship as are most of the larger suites (some of these are also amidships).

 

Hank

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chabad said:

Thanks everybody. Looks like I will give the interior a try and save some money. 

Just make sure you have cabins both above you and below you.

 

Have a great cruise.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...