Recommendations for Private Transportation and place to eat in Amalfi/Positano

yorkiemomjn

We would appreciate recommendations for private transportation for six from the port of Sorrento to Amalfi/Positano, a nice place to have lunch and any other suggestions you might have for us!😊

Thank you!

Judy & John

We had an excellent experience with RomeinLimo.com.  They will make lunch reservations for you at:  https://www.latagliata.com/

Do not use RomeCabs/Stefano Tours.  While we have had great luck with Stefano in and around Rome with tours and transportation, we had a terrible experience with the company on another visit to Naples.  A third party guide was recruited to take us around.  He was not very polished or pleasant, and did not take us to where we wanted to go.  Nor did he make our lunch reservations.  A big disappointment and we so wanted our children to have the same experience that we had previously.  :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

FWIW, after being in Italy a few times we determined that quite a few of the big name tour companies are using 3rd party guides in more remote areas. We've had the same guide in Livorno a couple of times but  it was booked through different companies. Our guides in the Amalfi area also were independent operators. I believe this happens all the time in Italy where the drivers/guides are independent and hire out to the big names with more of an internet presence. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

We had an excellent experience with RomeinLimo.com.  They will make lunch reservations for you at:  https://www.latagliata.com/

Do not use RomeCabs/Stefano Tours.  While we have had great luck with Stefano in and around Rome with tours and transportation, we had a terrible experience with the company on another visit to Naples.  A third party guide was recruited to take us around.  He was not very polished or pleasant, and did not take us to where we wanted to go.  Nor did he make our lunch reservations.  A big disappointment and we so wanted our children to have the same experience that we had previously.  :classic_wacko:

Another vote for this location. We had a great time there. Food served family style, music, everyone getting in on it with tambourines etc. Fabulous views, especially from the women's bathroom. (My wife took the picture.)

• Like 1

With all due respect I probably wouldn't ask cruisers for recs for food 🙂  You can find really expert info online, from high to low end.  Info from people whose sole purpose in life is dining 🙂

• Haha 1

So CLO, you think people who travel on O ships are too uninformed to comment on a great restaurant?  Don’t you get that many of us may be the very on-line posters you recommend?

I’ll stick to my recommendation of Le Sirenuse having spent lots of time on the Amalfi coast.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

So CLO, you think people who travel on O ships are too uninformed to comment on a great restaurant?  Don’t you get that many of us may be the very on-line posters you recommend?

I’ll stick to my recommendation of Le Sirenuse having spent lots of time on the Amalfi coast.

Roccaforte ..agree with you on both points! Sirenuse is a fabulous place with drop dead views to boot. In Amalfi, we found a great restaurant ‘Da Gemma’ really close to the main square. Food, wine & service top notch.

I loved my (birthday) lunch at Ristorante Antico Borgo in the small village of Pontone on the hills above the town of Amalfi.  

Credit and thanks to StanandJim who arranged our wonderful Amalfi Coast Drive that day from Sorrento, let us join their private tour and arranged for a BD dessert for me. Gorgeous views and one of the special memories I will carry with me always.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, CintiPam said:

I loved my (birthday) lunch at Ristorante Antico Borgo in the small village of Pontone on the hills above the town of Amalfi.  

Credit and thanks to StanandJim who arranged our wonderful Amalfi Coast Drive that day from Sorrento, let us join their private tour and arranged for a BD dessert for me. Gorgeous views and one of the special memories I will carry with me always.

How fun!   I always wanted to meet StanandJim in person.   CintiPam, I can't remember anything anymore.   Didn't we go on a tour of Berlin with you guys?   I think you arranged it.   

We’ve done several private tours in this region.  All were good but the most memorable was Marcello  Maresca from seesorrento.com.   He took us to a fantastic Mom and Pop restaurant between Amalfi and Ravello.   Previous guides took us to Mom and Pop places in Positano, all were great.  

Marcello is very blunt and to the point, especially when it comes to  shopping stops.  He tells you up front not to book him if you want to shop for trinkets.  He has extensive knowledge of the area and is one of our favorite guides ever.  

Edited by sammiedawg

On 7/19/2019 at 6:24 PM, yorkiemomjn said:

How fun!   I always wanted to meet StanandJim in person.   CintiPam, I can't remember anything anymore.   Didn't we go on a tour of Berlin with you guys?   I think you arranged it.   

Way back in June 2011 on a Scandinavian cruise on Marina (which first sailed in April 2011 I believe) I arranged a one-day dash to Berlin with a group of 18 with the same tour company with which I was doing a four-person two-day private tour in St. Petersburg on the same cruise, the excellent SPB Tours.  We enjoyed that introduction to Berlin (being there on a “little traffic” Sunday meant we really saw a great deal) so much (with a terrific young American guide) that we returned a couple of years later for six days on a land trip after which we visited Dresden and Prague.

Le Sirenuse is indeed the top recommendation.

Re restaurant expertise, Oceania cruisers by definition tend to focus on food, so I would trust them. But always cross-reference by looking at other reliable recent reviews online.

2 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Way back in June 2011 on a Scandinavian cruise on Marina (which first sailed in April 2011 I believe) I arranged a one-day dash to Berlin with a group of 18 with the same tour company with which I was doing a four-person two-day private tour in St. Petersburg on the same cruise, the excellent SPB Tours.  We enjoyed that introduction to Berlin (being there on a “little traffic” Sunday meant we really saw a great deal) so much (with a terrific young American guide) that we returned a couple of years later for six days on a land trip after which we visited Dresden and Prague.

Yes, loved that cruise.  Do you remember the photo shoot of the young girls on the Segway’s! 😂

1 hour ago, JPR said:

Le Sirenuse is indeed the top recommendation.

Re restaurant expertise, Oceania cruisers by definition tend to focus on food, so I would trust them. But always cross-reference by looking at other reliable recent reviews online.

Agree!  The food on Oceania is ONE of the reasons we love Oceania!

2 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Way back in June 2011 on a Scandinavian cruise on Marina (which first sailed in April 2011 I believe)

I think the Maiden voyage was in Jan or Feb 2011

we were on the 3 rd sailing  around Feb 25th from SFO