Cruise Critic Community
telcom

Viking boarding in Amsterdam

Arriving in Amsterdam from ATL 5:55 AM, Viking transfer included to ship.  Any ideas what to do besides resting in the ship lounge and having lunch?  Not even sure what time we'll be able to board.  Cabin to be ready by 3 PM

Viking will likely have a couple of walking tours arranged in the late morning/early afternoon. Nothing too elaborate - just enough to give you a basic overview of the city center. Depending on where the boat is docked, these may depart from the boat itself or you may need to use a shuttle, provided by Viking. 

I was able to drop off my luggage as early as 9am and then took a tour I had arranged on my own. When I returned to the ship around 5, my luggage had already been moved to my room. A lot of the major museums appear to open at 9am. Canal tours probably start even earlier. But that also depends on your amount of jet lag and what you're comfortable with. 

Personally, I would try to drop my luggage off at the ship and then get breakfast somewhere. I've always enjoyed Bakers & Roasters (two locations, one is convenient to Centraal Station @Kadijksplein 16) and then visit a museum or two. Add in a canal boat tour (which typically run 45-60 minutes) and that should be enough to fill the time before your room is ready. 

Here is what you can expect based on our 2017 Viking cruise with free air and transfer:

Our flight arrived Amsterdam 8:45 AM. We waited in the airport for more arriving passengers before leaving around 10 AM. We boarded the ship docked short distance from the Central Station around 10:30 AM. They wrote down our room numbers and told us to have lunch in the Aquavit Lounge starting at 11:00 AM and they would call us when our room is ready. Shortly after 11:30 AM, we were in our room with our luggage. We spent the rest of the day sightseeing (museums and canal cruise, etc.). One of the smoothest embarkations we ever experienced. Enjoy!

Thanks, Wa Cruiser and 3rdCoastFan.  Been to Amsterdam and have taken many ocean cruises, this is our first river cruise.

On our cruise, there was a free wine and cheese tasting at 3:00 p.m. on embarkation day.  

Are you river or ocean?  Our Avalon ship for Rhine/Mosel moored very close to the Doubletree Hotel (fabulous place to stay) and not too far from the train station.  Easy walk, but we took a taxi with our luggage.  If you walk the opposite way from the Doubletree, there's a great market along there to pick up whatever you need ... I love cheap German sparkling wine.

How long was bus from airport to the ship in AMS?

On 8/3/2019 at 10:29 AM, AF-1 said:

How long was bus from airport to the ship in AMS?

A bus from Schiphol AMS airport to the central  train station in Amsterdam( right next to where the river boats park) is about 30 minutes.   You can also take a train right from the airport to the central station in about 20 minutes.

Just wanted to mention a few others have said their Viking ship docked a little further away from Centraal in a more  industrial area but that Viking ran shuttles between the Centraal area and the ship.   I suppose it depends on the day you leave and other traffic.  It did not seem like a big deal to those involved but nice to know so you aren't surprised.

Our flight gets in around 8 a.m. We plan on dropping our luggage at the ship and heading out for a little shopping for some wine and nibbles for our room.   We liked Albert Heijn, a local supermarket, just for the experience.   Be aware there are little ones and bigger ones with more selection.  Gall & Gall may have more upscale stuff.

When we were there before we loved the canal tour.  

Do take care to watch the bike lanes if you go out sight seeing.

Thanks for the replies.  Our ship gets into AMS the day prior; so we will have sightseeing and then spend night on ship. We then depart the following morning to the airport.  I have a 9:20 flight so guess we will leave the ship around 6am.

On 8/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, badtwin said:

Do take care to watch the bike lanes if you go out sight seeing.

This can not be repeated too often! 😮

On 8/20/2019 at 5:18 PM, odblnt said:

This can not be repeated too often! 😮

Our last bus driver in Amsterdam told us the bike lanes were red for a reason... colored with the blood of tourists 😂😂😂

Posted (edited)

Off Viking last month, required to be out of your rooms by 8:30.  You are welcome to stay on board but they are not going to hold your luggage for you, let you explore and then come back to the ship to pick it up on disembarkation. Embarkation of course is different, they offer a walking tour.

I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable touring on disembarkation in Amsterdam since Schipol is notoriously crowded and delayed. If you do, a private tour operator can hold your luggage or you can look for luggage storage at central station or the cruise terminal. 

Edited by hehny