Cruise Critic Community
corinnv

Internet and college course

Hello!

Has anyone used the ship wifi to access a college course on Blackboard?  We leave soon and my daughter is currently working on an online  summer math course. She was going to purchase the premium wifi to access her mail and the course, but we are not sure if the platform will be supported on the ship's wifi. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  🙂 

Yes - I have years ago and unfortunately the WIFI was not strong enough to allow me to access it.

I also had to register for classes on one cruise and that didn't work either - it was EXTREMELY slow. I tried both the internet on my phone and on the computers they provide.

While wifi has improved somewhat, it can be slow if many users are accessing it.

One workaround that has proven beneficial to some taking on line courses or exams, is to find wifi/internet cafes in ports of call and do the work there.

Ask your cabin steward or a bartender or other cruise crew where they go when in the ports you are in.  They know the  latest, fastest and cheapest spots.

I have used both Blackboard and Canvas successfully onboard in the last few years. I would be sure to have her download and save a local copy of any spreadsheets, media, or other documents that she needs in advance just in case. That way in the worst case she can complete her assignments and and connect long enough to upload them.

My experience with this is on Horizon and Vista and I had a solid connection the entire cruise both times, but of course they are newer ships.

If she is able, I strongly encourage her to work ahead and leave plenty of time to account for tech glitches and periods of low/no connectivity. If the materials are available (some instructors give you access to only the coming week's assignments), I usually sacrifice a few sleepless nights prior to my trips to work ahead so I can enjoy the trip, but have done a lot of work in airports and hotels as well.

I would be a little concerned about math courses only because in my experience many of them require timed testing or video proctoring which would be difficult to achieve at sea or in port. If these are not concerns, then it is solely dependent on the ship, and the timing of your port stops.

Good luck!

What ship are you on? Vista or Horizon are capable of streaming Netflix and the like, so I would think those two would be fine.

As mentioned by @five., it can depend on the ship - Carnival has been upgrading the Internet capabilities on their ships, but not all ships are done yet.

And as @Cousin Eddie said, maybe just try to work ahead before the cruise, so the cruise can be an actual vacation from the course.  Many on-line courses will let you get ahead one or two weeks, either just by working faster, or sometimes you have to contact the professor/teacher to get them to open up modules ahead of time specifically for you (your daughter).

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and the great advice!  I think plans on working ahead so she will not need to depend on the wifi connection.  She will contact her professor this week as well.  There may be some work she can download/print for additional practice.  I don't think she has an exam the week we are away which is a positive!  

Thank you again and happy sailing! 

As many have said it depends on the ship.  I sailed on the Glory, an older ship, and I could barely check email with the premium Wifi.  I am a college professor and I would not have been able to access my course LMS while on board.  Speeds will also depend on the amount of users, so late at night or really early in the morning she may have a better connection.

15 minutes ago, jlabs03 said:

As many have said it depends on the ship.  I sailed on the Glory, an older ship, and I could barely check email with the premium Wifi.  I am a college professor and I would not have been able to access my course LMS while on board.  Speeds will also depend on the amount of users, so late at night or really early in the morning she may have a better connection.

Thank you!  We are on an older ship as well.  We are very early risers, so she might try to log on in the AM.