2 different Le Petit Chef experiences?

Knighton

I read somewhere that some ships have 2 different Le Petit Chef experiences, each completely different from the other.  I can't really find any details either here on the forums, and the Celebrity website doesn't say anything about it at all either.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Which ships have it this way?  Thanks!

On Equinox....There is one that is a "competition" between tiny chefs from different countries, so each course is from a different chef in the competition.  The other is the single chef LPC making each course for you.  They are each done for half of the cruise. 

3 minutes ago, CardRock said:

On Equinox....There is one that is a "competition" between tiny chefs from different countries, so each course is from a different chef in the competition.  The other is the single chef LPC making each course for you.  They are each done for half of the cruise. 

Did you prefer one over the other?  Are the menus different? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

Do they give out headphones or is just broadcast like a movie over the table?

How loud is it, can you converse?

Is the room dark?

No headphones.

Can't be too loud or you'll interfere with other people's experience.

the room is dark when they do the video.

There are different menus and I much prefer the second, the competition.

Edited by Orator

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Is the room dark?

No headphones.  The animation for each course is very short, less than 2 mins per course and the lights are dimmed.  Immediately after the animation the lights are raised and your food is served.  The meal is timed so everyone starts and finishes each course at the same time.

We went to it on Eden in February.  Animation was nice but one of us got the standard which allowed for animation to match food display and the other person choose a different selection of food.  I thought that would be the problem but that was not an issue.  Found that everyone in the whole restaurant had to eat at the same time and it was a rather quick dining experience.  Obviously I was not a fan for more than one time and I thought the food was really just okay.

Go for it for the experience and decide if you love it.

17 hours ago, Knighton said:

I read somewhere that some ships have 2 different Le Petit Chef experiences, each completely different from the other.  I can't really find any details either here on the forums, and the Celebrity website doesn't say anything about it at all either.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Which ships have it this way?  Thanks!

Thanks for posting this question as I've been unclear about the 2 experiences as well.

We're on a 7 night cruise on Equinox and  looking to reserve for the later part of our cruise (probably night 5 or 6).  Does anyone know if the 2 shows follow a typical schedule?  As in, typically the single chef for the first few nights and then the competition for next few nights?  

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, hcat said:

Is the room dark?

They do dim the lights for each segment of the show. They very much want everyone to stay seated (don't go to the restroom) while the show is playing.  The show is displayed on your table from projection cameras located in the ceiling above each table. It is not loud at all...I did find it interesting (slightly annoying) the servers often chimed in during the show. For example if the little chef fell down the servers would make a comment like "oh no" or laugh or applaud etc.  MSsparky, the first two days were the chef and friends, the last two days of the cruise was the show with just the chef. Both shows were entertaining and I preferred the second show with the lobster and filet mignon meal. Delicious. 

We’re on Infinity next year and it’s only showing one menu (which I don’t like) to pre book. We’re only on for a week - are they likely to have the other menu too. Don’t want to prebook only to find I can’t eat it. 

I have done each twice and enjoyed the show part of the meal the first time for each and the food all times, though definitely had our favorite.

The first two were on the Edge in Le Grand Bistro, which is a lovely venue. It was the LPC and Friends theme. We had our own table for two and enjoyed the show and food, though wouldn't say it was excellent. We did it a second time with friends and enjoyed the experience (the two bottles of Caymus likely helped), but again, the food was very good, not excellent. My favorite was Truffled Five Cheese Ravioli - that was excellent!! The steak was very tender.  The show overall was amusing, but not over the top amusing for us.

Le Grand Bistro on the Edge

image.png.55d83b39ecac9aceb136a20ac9ecfac3.png

image.thumb.png.f32afbc78eabf33c50b1d790d861230e.png

Truffled Ravioli

image.thumb.png.a1840036bb23056ca1ca0f0cd9caed51.png

The third time we went to LPC was on the Infinity in Osine. We ate there twice with another couple and loved the venue, the show (the first time) and the food was superb. Every course was delicious. It was definitely the best food on the ship (though we weren't in Luminae that cruise). The show was much better than the Friends one, IMO. It was amusing and enjoyable, but we went back the second time for the food. 🙂

The bouillabaisse, lobster (and sauce) and the steak were all so good and the simple hot fudge sundae was perfect for ending a big meal (I don't usually make it to dessert).  The thing I worried about this whole concept was if it would be a nice, relaxing dinner where you can eat at your own pace and talk with table mates. I was surprised at how relaxing it was and that we could chat in between the show parts (and giggle during those). The dinners in Qsine had such attentive service that it actually had an almost elegant feel (except when sea creatures are jumping on your plate 😉).

We will be doing it again next year on the Infinity, for the food and service (and lack of specialty restaurant choices), if it is the lobster one. I'm not sure if we would do the other menu again, though would love to have that truffled ravioli again.

LPC in Qsine on the Infinity

1747729566_lpcinfin.jpg.0b9673f2da4176d1ff936a0187653507.jpg

image.thumb.png.6080391920293f562d13a61bb18aa33c.png

The other menu (show doesn't match with the food - you can pick and choose from each menu)

image.thumb.png.f573bf3474098d6a4dc2d199409d19f6.png

Bouillabaisse

2052470639_lpcbouillla.jpg.47581a6b697de4c47d05ac6bffae29d0.jpg

214927266_lpclobster.jpg.9063ead8203010c5365aca7973140d2f.jpg

606918859_lpcsteak.jpg.375863823a8df1fcd216af0bea148763.jpg

Edited by vtcruising

On 7/12/2019 at 8:33 AM, mysparky said:

Thanks for posting this question as I've been unclear about the 2 experiences as well.

We're on a 7 night cruise on Equinox and  looking to reserve for the later part of our cruise (probably night 5 or 6).  Does anyone know if the 2 shows follow a typical schedule?  As in, typically the single chef for the first few nights and then the competition for next few nights?  

Thanks in advance.

I am interested in the new menu.  I spoke to a shoreside concierge she said first 3 nights original menu(single chef)last four nights new menu(chef and friends)

27 minutes ago, jj6961 said:

I am interested in the new menu.  I spoke to a shoreside concierge she said first 3 nights original menu(single chef)last four nights new menu(chef and friends)

Chef and Friends is the one that I posted above for the Edge. You can see the title at the top (Le Petit Chef and Friends)

image.png.cbf478eb8d0d0fbafd001ca93c639162.png

Edited by vtcruising

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I found this flyer that says that all the ships with LPC have the 2 different shows except for the Edge, which only has LPC and Friends (top right):

Le Petit Chef.pdf 470.75 kB · 4 downloads

Looking at your attachment it seems that they do offer LPAF also. Good to sea and it matches a video that I recently watched from the IN.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, jj6961 said:

Just did Le Petite Chef last night on Day 3 on Equinox. It was the 4 chef competition- the Italian chef won.

VERY cool concept and the food was delicious. They said the menu will change for days 5-7. But we are already booked for sushi and Murano. 

We've seen it 3x. We keep inviting more friends and family to come with us. Both shows are really good. We loved the food at both experiences. The original menu is more straight forward - surf/turf/ice cream! The chef competition is a little more fancy - but great too. We find Le Petit Chef technology amazing, a really fun evening and a welcome break from the other traditional dining. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 8:50 AM, vtcruising said:

The third time we went to LPC was on the Infinity in Osine. We ate there twice with another couple and loved the venue, the show (the first time) and the food was superb. Every course was delicious. It was definitely the best food on the ship (though we weren't in Luminae that cruise).

We agree! Seen LPC 3x times. Bringing different people with us makes it even more fun.

• Like 1

Just a great example of the help these boards can provide.  I was able to see the two versions of LPC menus here, contact our shore concierge, and switch to the more appealing menu for us.  (btw, she also confirmed the earlier stated order of the menu/shows).  Way to go, Cruise Critic Community!!  Thank you to all.  

Happy Sailing.