Cruise Critic Community
Georgia_Peaches

Premium Plus Beverage Package and 3-Day Cruise...Just Noticed

Posted (edited)

So yesterday I was looking at some quick three night cruise options on the Sun for the first weekend in August.  They are offering all the usual perks with Insides getting one pic, Ocean View, 2 picks, balcony and up take all 4.  Prices were very reasonable for a quick get away but I didn't do a booking as I was just looking.  Today I went back to do the booking and noticed a price increase of about $30 pp over yesterday's prices.  Booked anyway and went with an ocean view category. My 2 picks were beverage package and specialty dining.  I have read that NCL is phasing out the free open bar on 3 and 4 night sailings but was really surprised when I got my cruise docs to see that the included beverage package is actually the Premium Plus option as opposed to the standard Premium.  Don't think it was PPBP yesterday when I looked which might account for the new price today.  I then did a mock booking for a longer cruise to see which beverage package was offered.  For longer cruises it seems the package being offered is the PBP with the option to upgrade to the PPBP.  So bottom line, right now at least, it looks like if you book a 3 or 4 night cruise, you can enjoy the PPBP if you take that perk.  I'm looking forward to giving it a try since we didn't upgrade last month on Breakaway.

Just thought I'd pass it along...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

The phase out doesn't happen until September sailings ....... All is still the same for your cruise. I'm on the Sun August 24 for a 5 day with open bar. 

I was wrong about my last statement after checking my booking, they have indeed changed some things up for the August sailings.  

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

The phase out doesn't happen until September sailings ....... All is still the same for your cruise. I'm on the Sun August 24 for a 5 day with open bar. 

The upgraded drink package is available on the Sun for sure. I have it on my 5 day Aug 19 cruise.  I paid 20% gratuity on the package valued at around $30.  $6 or so a day pp. 

It includes much more than the basic open bar the Sun and Sky have been offering. 

Here’s what happened to mine for august 24th based on a mock booking I did a few minutes ago. I am doing this small bonus cruise with my wife and two kids since our Cuba cruise was cancelled . I booked an inside with one perk. I chose the 3rd and 4th guest (kids) sail free and had the open bar. The open bar is now gone and the standard pick one option still applies. You can still pick 3rd and 4th sail free but then you can’t pick the UBP..... or vice versa . Essentially I would  have to pay about $300 more now for what I have booked, drinks and 3rd&4th. No option for the PPBP upgraded drink package as a perk to choose now. 

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Here’s what happened to mine for august 24th based on a mock booking I did a few minutes ago. I am doing this small bonus cruise with my wife and two kids since our Cuba cruise was cancelled . I booked an inside with one perk. I chose the 3rd and 4th guest (kids) sail free and had the open bar. The open bar is now gone and the standard pick one option still applies. You can still pick 3rd and 4th sail free but then you can’t pick the UBP..... or vice versa . Essentially I would  have to pay about $300 more now for what I have booked, drinks and 3rd&4th. No option for the PPBP upgraded drink package as a perk to choose now. 

I just looked at your date, I think the open bar is still in play...

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just looked at your date, I think the open bar is still in play...

It says it is under the heading but once you get to the perks screen it isn't .... UBP with $29 service charge each. IT hasn't made there way through to fix it apparently. 

Screenshot (53).png

58 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

The upgraded drink package is available on the Sun for sure. I have it on my 5 day Aug 19 cruise.  I paid 20% gratuity on the package valued at around $30.  $6 or so a day pp. 

It includes much more than the basic open bar the Sun and Sky have been offering. 

Yes, in fact, I was surprised at the Premium Plus offer and would have been happy with the regular package.  But I like the idea of trying a different bottle of wine with dinner and since we are in an ocean view stateroom with no balcony, it will be nice to enjoy a specialty coffee on the deck somewhere.

Thanks you, CruisingNole your information is consistent with my understanding of the changes/phase in. My surprise was with the premium plus beverage plan. I was only expecting the premium beverage package. A nice surprise and I will take it. 

The PCC I spoke with confirmed the UBP Includes bottles of waters, specialty coffee, and energy drinks... She canceled the 6 bottles of water I ordered. 

9 hours ago, kyashblake said:

The PCC I spoke with confirmed the UBP Includes bottles of waters, specialty coffee, and energy drinks... She canceled the 6 bottles of water I ordered. 

The premium plus package does, the standard UBP package that comes with the free at sea promotion does not.