Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gatordad815

Transport Questions-Secret Harbour

Hi all! We will likely go to Secret Harbour on our St. Thomas stop next Spring based on the great reviews and info seen here. We are a family of 4, two adults, two children ages 4 and 6. We will be arriving late (11:30) on Carnival Breeze and will want to be back to port by about 5:00.

My Questions:

1) Approximately how long does it take to get there from Havensight pier each way?

2) Are there any easy taxi options with doors and seatbelts, or are the Safari Vans about the only option?

3) Will we need to worry about traffic heading back if we want to be back at port around 5:00?

Any input or other tips appreciated! Thank you.

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Gatordad815 said:

Hi all! We will likely go to Secret Harbour on our St. Thomas stop next Spring based on the great reviews and info seen here. We are a family of 4, two adults, two children ages 4 and 6. We will be arriving late (11:30) on Carnival Breeze and will want to be back to port by about 5:00.

My Questions:

1) Approximately how long does it take to get there from Havensight pier each way?

2) Are there any easy taxi options with doors and seatbelts, or are the Safari Vans about the only option?

3) Will we need to worry about traffic heading back if we want to be back at port around 5:00?

Havensight to Secret Harbour about 15 minutes, no more.

Taxi's, I hopped on one of the open air "Safari Vans" and away we went. 

On the way back I jumped in a van with "doors and seatbelts!!" LOL

Taxi's everywhere never a problem.

No traffic issue's, Secret Harbour is not in the area where all the nonsense is. That's why I went.

15 minutes over 15 minutes back, very easy from Havensight.

Your making a wise choice in taking your family to Secret Harbour. 

No worries you are going to have a very enjoyable day.

Take care and have a great trip. Todd

Edited by TTEllis
typo

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Gatordad815 said:

My Questions:

1) The taxi ride can be 15 - 25 minutes depending on traffic.

2) You will find tons of safari-type taxis waiting at the dock to which visitors to different areas of the island. A coordinator will be guiding folks to taxis and drivers will be looking to fill the taxi before leaving. If you prefer a sedan or van taxi you should be directed to one but I don’t remember if there are many in the port area.

3) Yes, definitely allow extra time for your return, many of your fellow cruise mates are also returning to their ships, and traffic can be quite busy. It’s also a good idea just to allow for any other delays, mechanical or other. So would suggest being at the taxi drop-off area by 4 to be safe. 

Tip for late arrivals - 

With your later arrival time of 11:30 I would strongly suggest reserving lounges and umbrellas well ahead of your cruise date. The Secret Harbour Resort is situated in a smaller bay where space is somewhat limited, and much of the beach lounge area is restricted to resort guests. Some space is allotted for day visitors and AA Divers rents lounges and umbrellas among other things. But they often run out of the lounges and umbrellas, and with your later arrival that is a possibility. And in high season there is less space for day visitors. So to be safe just contact AA Divers and hold 4 lounges and umbrellas.

This is info I received from them just last month -

Below is a reply I received this week from Courtnie at AA Divers which is the dive shop renting lounges and umbrellas at the Secret Harbour Resort at Secret Harbor beach. They have a changing room but no showers that I know of...

We do take reservations on beach chairs and umbrellas. Please keep in mind there is a $5 set up fee for every 2 chairs that will need to be in cash upon arrival. We have a changing room here in our store and restrooms next door at the restaurant. If you would like to reserve them please go to www.aadivers.com/reservations and sign up.

We do not charge to hold the chairs, we do take a credit card to reserve it but do not charge until the day of, so you will need to bring the physical card at that time. We do have a 24 hour cancellation policy.”

So a great way for both early and late arrivals to guarantee lounges/umbrellas.

FYI -

We've looked at condos at SH while staying on Sapphire Beach, and we prefer Sapphire for the beach, water, and island views. But Secret Harbor is a very nice, calm beach (great for toddlers) with all the amenities you want, including a great restaurant and some snorkeling. A nice alternative to Magens with much better food options...

[EDIT] Not sure how much time you will have, but we like stopping at Paradise Point for a cold drink and the view after enjoying the beach. PP is up the hill right across from Havensight so very convenient to your ship. You can taxi there or take the aerial tram, then walk back to your ship from the tram station. You can usually get refundable tram passes at the ship excursions desk for a little less. There are also several shops in the Havensight Mall...

Enjoy your day!

Edited by blue_water

And don’t be concerned about my comment on any potential delays, the taxi system is very reliable, and they whisk (not “which” 😂) thousands of visitors to these popular destinations daily. Just use common sense for your return time. 😀