Will Oasis change Cats during dry dock?

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Do you think they would allow us to bring props to throw on stage?

Or would the be an up-charge that needs to be ordered via Cruise PLanner...."Rocky Horror Inactive Audience" kit for $19.99 PP (free for diamond and up,  and KEY members).

You're killing me. 🤣🤣

Squirt guns, rice, toast, newspaper. 

What am I missing?🤔

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

No doubt, it's an immensely popular show. But it hasn't found an audience on a cruise ship, judging by the vast amount of empty seats.

Then again, I thought Phantom was overrated so don't go by me.

Loved Kinky Boots but I don't think that was enough of a hit to be considered for the high seas.

I enjoyed Kinky Boots as well and its debuting on NCL Encore when its launched later this year. 

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Keep in mind that Mama Mia is a collection of existing songs jumbled together into a silly story. 😇

Love Mama Mia, one of our favorites-have seen it live, seen both movies, have the movie and have seen it 2x on the ships.  Never get tire of that or Grease, Hairspray, Saturday Night Fever on the other ships.  All in all, Royal has had great production shows, IMO they just missed it with Cats.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Love Mama Mia, one of our favorites-have seen it live, seen both movies, have the movie and have seen it 2x on the ships.  Never get tire of that or Grease, Hairspray, Saturday Night Fever on the other ships.  All in all, Royal has had great production shows, IMO they just missed it with Cats.

I'm guessing that someone really high up in the corporate office loves the show and didn't consider that they might be in the minority on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, Host Clarea said:

Most likely not.

Don’t say that.

20 hours ago, cello56 said:

We chatted with the stage manager that did the install of Mama Mia! and he said that for CATS, Andrew Lloyd Webber insisted that every single thing be exactly the same as the Broadway version. He even flew in to inspect the production prior to it premiering on board. He was very picky - every prop exactly the same. RCI do not  have the ability to change or modify the production without express permission from ALW. 

That was my understanding as well. RC please try to adapt the show and hold ALW to his moral compass. 

20 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I would think at the very least that Royal has the right to stop performing the show, even before the contract runs out.

I thought it was a 5 year contract. 

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd love that too, but I believe NCL has that one.

Lets go with Book of Mormon.  No falling asleep during that performance. 

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well there you go, get them out of the theater and into the bars buying over priced drinks. After CATS, that was the first place I headed. So CATS might be here for the lifespan of the ship.

LOL, that’s hilariously funny.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I'm guessing that someone really high up in the corporate office loves the show and didn't consider that they might be in the minority on this one.

I get entertainment surveys all the time. Similar to the port and dining surveys that Laura gets

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

Second movie was awful, even Laura (massive ABBA fan) hated it.

I like Mama Mia in general, but I really thought Royal's cast is awful. June 2018

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I like Mama Mia in general, but I really thought Royal's cast is awful. June 2018

I was last on Allure in Feb 2018. I didn't find the cast awful at all. In fact, I found the show quite good and felt like it flew by. Yes, I do like Abba's music. I have seen the sequel and I agree, it is rather lame. But that seems to be the case many times with sequels. Come to think of it, maybe it is time for... Titanic, the Next 107 Years. Three hours of watching rusticles form.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:
12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Do you think they would allow us to bring props to throw on stage?

Or would the be an up-charge that needs to be ordered via Cruise PLanner...."Rocky Horror Inactive Audience" kit for $19.99 PP (free for diamond and up,  and KEY members).

You're killing me. 🤣🤣

Squirt guns, rice, toast, newspaper. 

What am I missing?🤔

The only other thing I can think of is toilet paper, preferably Scotts brand (Great Scott!!)

BTW, I meant "interactive" kit, not "Inactive".  I'm sure most knew what I meant but it still totally changes the context. *Doh!*

11 hours ago, LeDemonBlond said:

I enjoyed Kinky Boots as well and its debuting on NCL Encore when its launched later this year. 

Ahh, thanks. I guess that means Royal will never get it.

Not that I would ever pick a ship based on a show, but all things being equal, this might tip the scales in Encore's favor should I ever consider sailing NCL.

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The only other thing I can think of is toilet paper, preferably Scotts brand (Great Scott!!)

BTW, I meant "interactive" kit, not "Inactive".  I'm sure most knew what I meant but it still totally changes the context. *Doh!*

Right over my head 🤔

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:
1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Right over my head 🤔

Interactive = the audience is participating

Inactive - the audience is asleep.

🤣🤣 I kid, I kid.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I am lucky enough to be a short Long Island Rail Road trip from broadway and never saw Cats. Cats is one show that seems to be a hard no or hard yes and NONE of my theater going friends wanted to see it and those that did see it before they knew I would go said never again. 

As as for Mama Mia I thought that the RCL production was better than its Broadway production! Very well done indeed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lets go with Book of Mormon.  No falling asleep during that performance. 

That would be amazing!! I have seen it twice, and will see it each time it comes to the area. Boy oh boy, I can see the Cruise Critic threads now, especially since the smoking of cigarettes in Grease made a few people flip out. 

I think it would be amazing to have Wicked on an Oasis class. (Melody or whatever the next one will be named)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

That would be amazing!! I have seen it twice, and will see it each time it comes to the area. Boy oh boy, I can see the Cruise Critic threads now, especially since the smoking of cigarettes in Grease made a few people flip out. 

LOL, and the lyrics. If they thought Grease was risqué, oh boy. 😉

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

🤔Pretty sure it has a live orchestra,  I've heard them warming up. You can see the director in the video monitors as well.  Also several cast members perform in Jazz. 

We took the backstage tour - the orchestra music is pre-recorded.  The director in the video monitor is actually directing for the singers and dancers.

• Thanks 1

CATS has always been a LOVE IT OR HATE IT show.  Most people don't understand the story, aren't into dancing and enjoy shows with music that is familiar.  That said, you know you have a non appreciative group when someone starts dishing PHANTOM!

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 5:31 PM, mac_tlc said:

I would greatly prefer Les Miserables, which has been seen by over 70 million people in 52 countries and 22 languages around the world.  Maybe they could get Alfie Boe to come and do opening night. I’d book it in a heartbeat. 

mac_tlc

Would LOVE Les Miserables!  So many would be better than CATS!  I love musicals and never miss them on the ship with the exception of CATS

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 3:35 PM, Mikew0805 said:

I think it would be amazing to have Wicked on an Oasis class. (Melody or whatever the next one will be named)

Me too!  I loved Wicked when we saw ti!

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, Giorgi-one said:

CATS has always been a LOVE IT OR HATE IT show.  Most people don't understand the story, aren't into dancing and enjoy shows with music that is familiar.  That said, you know you have a non appreciative group when someone starts dishing PHANTOM!

I would love Phantom also!  Took my husband to see it live and thought he would hate it and he LOVED it.  Like I said, so many they could do that would be better - Oklahoma, Sound of Music, South Pacific, Jersey Boys, A Star is Born, I could go on and on with all the wonderful musicals out there.  BTW, I also LOVED Chicago when on Allure.  Would be totally okay if that came back also.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I would love Phantom also!  Took my husband to see it live and thought he would hate it and he LOVED it.  Like I said, so many they could do that would be better - Oklahoma, Sound of Music, South Pacific, Jersey Boys, A Star is Born, I could go on and on with all the wonderful musicals out there.  BTW, I also LOVED Chicago when on Allure.  Would be totally okay if that came back also.

Biggest problem with Phantom is the length, it's actually about 20 minutes longer than CATS. 😇

And I'll bet there is no abridged version available 😉

Edited by John&LaLa