Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
petuniaflower

Passports when off ship in Med?

We usually leave our passports in the safe and carry other id, such as license with us when we leave the ship, and this has been fine in the Caribbean, is it the same in Europe?

Posted (edited)

Take a photocopy of your passports with you - it saves a lot of hassle😊 Just the 2 pages with photo and info

Edited by emmas gran

We also travel with photo copies of our passport. Some ports ask to see proof but in the Med you might be in all EU countries. What's the cruise Petunia?

We usually take our driving licence and photocopy of passport photo page, which is OK 99% of the time. However in Hamburg last year on MSC one of us had to go back to the cabin and pick up both passports and return to be allowed aboard, I think it was likely some jobsworth making it difficult, the two German security guys then just waved us through without looking at the passports. There were several other returning couples/groups who had to do the same thing. 

10 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

We usually leave our passports in the safe and carry other id, such as license with us when we leave the ship, and this has been fine in the Caribbean, is it the same in Europe?

We always have driver licence and copy of the  with us. Sometimes cruise line even collect your passport .  

We've never taken our passports ashore when in Europe. The only 2 places I can recall needing them are Puerto Rico and Russia. Possibly USVI... can't rightly recall if we did there or not. Sorry, age! 

34 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We've never taken our passports ashore when in Europe. The only 2 places I can recall needing them are Puerto Rico and Russia. Possibly USVI... can't rightly recall if we did there or not. Sorry, age! 

Same here, until we experienced a very stroppy official in Venice who created a big fuss about us not having passports. We now carry a laminated copy with us just in case

Posted (edited)

We never take our Passports ashore in Europe or anywhere else for that matter.

That said, I’m concerned if we had an issue ashore and missed the ship, how would we get a plane, train, or car without a Passport?

Thanks for any help in resolving my projected concern..

Edited by wwwfla

We usually take them ashore if we think we’d have an issue getting to the next port without one ... just in case we miss departure (almost happened once 🙀). An example, if we’d need to fly to next port.