Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
mizcruz

Royal IQ App

We will be sailing our first RCL cruise on the Anthem 8/29 sailing.  I have downloaded the Royal IQ app.  I am assuming I cannot really see or do anything on this app until I am on the ship is that correct?  Also, I believe I have read (although I just searched and couldn't find anything) that if we have the Royal IQ app we can call and text others in our party who have also downloaded the app...correct?  I also think I have read that there is a cost to do that and if so when and where to we purchase that ability.  Last, I believe I have read that you put your phone in airplane mode for the app but in the app it says to select royal-wifi once on board.  I'm sorry for all of my questions.  I have been reading the boards for a while now preparing for this cruise and I guess I should have been taking notes when I saw something that might apply to our trip as I may have mixed up somethings I have read.  Thanks.

Correct, the Royal IQ App only works when connected to the ship's WiFI.

You must pay something like $7 for each phone on which you want to use Royal IQ to text others on that same cruise with the Royal IQ App.  You pay this onboard.

Put the phone in Airplane Mode, turn on WiFi, and connect to the Royal WiFi service.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mizcruz said:

I also think I have read that there is a cost to do that and if so when and where to we purchase that ability.  

You purchase the $8 texting option within the app. Be advised that if you use iPhone iMessage or some texting app on Android, those will work without buying VOOM. 

Edited by Biker19

10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Correct, the Royal IQ App only works when connected to the ship's WiFI.

You must pay something like $7 for each phone on which you want to use Royal IQ to text others on that same cruise with the Royal IQ App.  You pay this onboard.

Put the phone in Airplane Mode, turn on WiFi, and connect to the Royal WiFi service.

What's kind of interesting about the RoyalIQ app is that if you load your cruise activities in the morning, the data is saved for "offline use" while in port.

The new Royal app that is being rolled out to most ships is different. It's fully functional before your trip.

Used Royal iQ on Harmony and Anthem.... it is $7.95 for each device that u want to b able to text or call one another.  A couple of things to note:

1.  U need to constantly b checking for texts, as ur phone will not “ding” or notify u that a text came through-kind of a pain

2.  We had issues with the calling part.  Royal states that it’s an app and that it doesn’t always work... really?  But I paid for this service?  They gave us a free bottle of wine for our troubles... lol

3.  I was able to receive and send texts to my friends/ family who had iPhones back home, no charge!  There is a loophole in the WiFi system that allows that??

4.  Yes u need to put phone on airplane mode so u don’t incur any additional fees from ur cell phone carrier, otherwise u will continue to receive data that will incur roaming charges ( unless u r somewhere that is included in ur plan)

5.  Make sure to have Royal iQ downloaded before ur cruise and it will begin working when on the ship.  If u wait to download , u will incur fees if ur on ships WiFi!

**** I was not overly thrilled with Royal IQ, however for $15 for the entire cruise, I would do it again.  I just found it to b more frustrating at times, versus helpful.  It is an app, so it tends to b temperamental at times!  Would I get it again..... probably.  If it was more expensive, probably not 

19 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

... 3.  I was able to receive and send texts to my friends/ family who had iPhones back home, no charge!  There is a loophole in the WiFi system that allows that?? ...

Yes, and some other apps can use this hole in the firewall too.  This might be one of the reasons Royal is changing to a new app.

1 hour ago, SuiteLady said:

Used Royal iQ on Harmony and Anthem....

For anyone reading this, Harmony switched to the RCI app last year.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

For anyone reading this, Harmony switched to the RCI app last year.

So will the Oasis now use this RCI app too?

Just now, SuiteLady said:

So will the Oasis now use this RCI app too?

Yes, she never had Royal IQ.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, she never had Royal IQ.

👍🏻..... thanks for the info!  Hopefully this one is better??  I have only sailed on ships that had Royal IQ and I’m not a fan.... lol

Edited by SuiteLady

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

Hopefully this one is better?? 

Depends on your definition of better. The info is sometimes wrong but generally provides similar info to Royal IQ - the nice thing about it is it works before the cruise. As of now, no text/chat function for Oasis.

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Depends on your definition of better. The info is sometimes wrong but generally provides simialr info to Royal IQ - the nice thing about it is it works before the cruise. As of now, no text/chat function for Oasis.

Thanks for the info and feedback

20 hours ago, ryguy2008 said:

What's kind of interesting about the RoyalIQ app is that if you load your cruise activities in the morning, the data is saved for "offline use" while in port.

The new Royal app that is being rolled out to most ships is different. It's fully functional before your trip.

Unless you are on a ship that was scheduled to go to Cuba.

I booked Majesty after the announcement that it would not be going to Cuba.  The Royal app basically is in a mode "we are preparing for your cruise" unlike other times on other ships where it has some itenary information during the same time frame.

Honestly not complaining, RCCL is scrambling in regards to Majesty.  So it is what it is.

23 hours ago, SuiteLady said:

**** I was not overly thrilled with Royal IQ, however for $15 for the entire cruise, I would do it again.  I just found it to b more frustrating at times, versus helpful.  It is an app, so it tends to b temperamental at times!  Would I get it again..... probably.  If it was more expensive, probably not 

I agree at the current cost the features sound like they

are worth it.  Thanks all for the replies.

21 minutes ago, honeynut33 said:

Is the app $8 total or daily?

For the entire cruise per device.