Change cabin

SC LTC

1 hour ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Remember ... you only (or most cruisers) only spend time sleeping and dressing in your cabin.  You have TONS of decks to walk ... lounge on, activities ALL over the ship.  I don't know if there is a Spinnaker type lounge on the ship you're cruising on ... but that is a nice place to read, nap and watch the world go by.  

You will be probably be spending 10 or so hours in that windowless box. Getting showered, dressed for the day, then dressed for the evening, then dressed for sleep, all takes time. With at least a window, you will be able to see outside where a big reason you are here for - being on a cruise SHIP on the OCEAN - is always within sight. Plus, the ambient light a window allows in is better for your health than artificial light. A large window/door that a balcony cabin has allows even more light in, and even allows you to experience what the weather is like outside before getting dressed in the morning. And then there is the opportunity to enjoy the view and fresh air while you are waiting while your cabin mate is preparing for their next activity. 

In either a windowless "walk-in closet" or a stateroom with natural light, you will be able to enjoy the rest of the ship equally. However, the advantage of a stateroom with a window or a balcony is you can enjoy a big part of being on a ship even while still in the room, a room you won't be in a hurry to get out of as soon as possible. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

However, the advantage of a stateroom with a window or a balcony is you can enjoy a big part of being on a ship even while still in the room, a room you won't be in a hurry to get out of as soon as possible. 

The advantage of a windowless inside room is that you have a cool dark environment in which to nap/sleep, and you can spend the $1000 you saved on some cool excursions or another cruise.  

Not everyone is claustrophobic.  Not everyone is unable to turn on the tv (or check their phone) to see the weather (which is going to be pretty much the same every day, for a Caribbean sailing).  Not everyone is scared of the dark.  

If you like a balcony, fine.  If you like an inside, fine.  But nobody should be telling anyone else that they SHOULD get any particular kind of room.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

The advantage of a windowless inside room is that you have a cool dark environment in which to nap/sleep,

I can always close the curtains if I want a dark environment, and turn down the A/C if it needs to be cooler. Most of the places we have cruised weren't hot, so the room and balcony have been quite comfortable without relying on an enclosed box to maintain the desired environment. 

and you can spend the $1000 you saved on some cool excursions or another cruise.  

I prefer to spend my money on enjoying the ocean view and fresh air from my stateroom, which to me is just as important as taking yet another excursion (which for me would be mostly in parts of the world besides your favorite tropical locale, and which don't require searching for "cool excursions" to be able to enjoy the sights).

And I would rather take one cruise in a bright, comfortable room with a balcony I can enjoy anytime of the day than take two bargain cruises in a windowless room I don't like and can't wait to get out of. Quality is more important to me than quantity. 

Not everyone is claustrophobic.

One of our favorite outdoor activities has been Spelunking, where we spend hours squeezing through narrow passages and twisting tunnels, enjoying the unique and beautiful underworld environment that Mother Nature has created. Sure couldn't do that if we were claustrophobic. We've even taken ship excursions that gave us the opportunity to see the many spectacular formations available in various parts of the world. 

Not everyone is unable to turn on the tv (or check their phone) to see the weather (which is going to be pretty much the same every day, for a Caribbean sailing). 

Actually seeing the weather first hand is much more reliable than seeing a fuzzy image on a TV or reading a weather report which is just a forecast and not the actual weather.

Not everyone only cruises the Caribbean like you. We've been on dozens of cruises. Only one was in the Caribbean. There is a whole world out there other than repeatedly visiting the same overcrowded tropical islands.

Not everyone is scared of the dark.

And not everyone has to hide in a box to be able to sleep. 

If you like a balcony, fine.  If you like an inside, fine.  But nobody should be telling anyone else that they SHOULD get any particular kind of room.  

I don't recall anyone here "telling anyone else that they SHOULD get any particular kind of room" - other than your snarky comments, that is. Most of us, except you, are sharing our preferences as options for the OP to consider. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

You will be probably be spending 10 or so hours in that windowless box. Getting showered, dressed for the day, then dressed for the evening, then dressed for sleep, all takes time. With at least a window, you will be able to see outside where a big reason you are here for - being on a cruise SHIP on the OCEAN - is always within sight. Plus, the ambient light a window allows in is better for your health than artificial light. A large window/door that a balcony cabin has allows even more light in, and even allows you to experience what the weather is like outside before getting dressed in the morning. And then there is the opportunity to enjoy the view and fresh air while you are waiting while your cabin mate is preparing for their next activity. 

In either a windowless "walk-in closet" or a stateroom with natural light, you will be able to enjoy the rest of the ship equally. However, the advantage of a stateroom with a window or a balcony is you can enjoy a big part of being on a ship even while still in the room, a room you won't be in a hurry to get out of as soon as possible. 

That is pretty funny.  I have never spent 10 hours a day, awake or sleeping, in any cabin on any cruise I've been on.  I've barely had 6 hours of sleep  on any given night!!!  

To the OP,  now that you’ve seen your cabin and have concerns, give NCL a call and discuss cabin options and costs for that sailing to understand your alternatives, and make your decision.  Good luck!

5 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

To the OP,  now that you’ve seen your cabin and have concerns, give NCL a call and discuss cabin options and costs for that sailing to understand your alternatives, and make your decision.  Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your input, I have to give it Serious thought everyone has been very helpful.

8 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

That is pretty funny.  I have never spent 10 hours a day, awake or sleeping, in any cabin on any cruise I've been on.  I've barely had 6 hours of sleep  on any given night!!!  

Nothing funny about that at all.

My husband and I like to relax first thing in the morning, especially on sea days. A leisurely breakfast on our balcony instead of the hectic chaos in the buffet, taking our time getting ready for the day instead of rushing, and the occasional quiet times in our cabin during the day, all adds up. I take at least 45 minutes to shower, primp, do my hair and get dressed in the morning, he takes about a half hour. If we clean up after a long day ashore, that might mean even more showers, and tidying up, especially in hot climates like the Caribbean or Mediterranean. Even if we slept "barely 6 hours", the prep time in the morning, before dinner, and again before bedtime would add at least three hours for the two of us taking turns in the cramped bathroom and dressing areas of an average cabin. And since we always book a cabin with a view and fresh air, we aren't in a hurry to escape it.  

I would bet you spend much more time in your cabin than you think you do. Either that or you look a disheveled mess all the time. 😀

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

There is a whole world out there other than repeatedly visiting the same overcrowded tropical islands.

Which is certainly a topic for a thread of its own, but I don't get it either.  Our first cruise 20 years ago was B2B Southern Caribbean (20 days total).  That was enough for us.  But we're very destination/port oriented.  We may be returning to more cruising but only if it takes us somewhere new.

2 hours ago, SC LTC said:

Thanks everyone for your input, I have to give it Serious thought everyone has been very helpful.

Serious thought for what?  It's basically a 'free' cruise ... short  ... yes ... and you only pay taxes and port fees.  GO FOR IT ... you won't be in that cabin hardly at all!  And it's hours ... you can deal with it for those hours .... 

54 minutes ago, PTMary said:

Nothing funny about that at all.

My husband and I like to relax first thing in the morning, especially on sea days. A leisurely breakfast on our balcony instead of the hectic chaos in the buffet, taking our time getting ready for the day instead of rushing, and the occasional quiet times in our cabin during the day, all adds up. I take at least 45 minutes to shower, primp, do my hair and get dressed in the morning, he takes about a half hour. If we clean up after a long day ashore, that might mean even more showers, and tidying up, especially in hot climates like the Caribbean or Mediterranean. Even if we slept "barely 6 hours", the prep time in the morning, before dinner, and again before bedtime would add at least three hours for the two of us taking turns in the cramped bathroom and dressing areas of an average cabin. And since we always book a cabin with a view and fresh air, we aren't in a hurry to escape it.  

I would bet you spend much more time in your cabin than you think you do. Either that or you look a disheveled mess all the time. 😀

20 Minutes ... showered and dressed and  OTTFD .... There are too many things to do and see and have fun with ... whether it's a port day or a sea day.  I do NOT look a disheveled mess... and I do NOT blow dry my hair or curl  it or straighten it ... I let my natural curls/waves flow free with clips or headband or a barrette .... I do NOT put on makeup on a hot, humid port day just to have it melt off.  LOL ... I LOVE how people think other people are looking at them and admiring them.  We're not. We're too busy having fun.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Remember ... you only (or most cruisers) only spend time sleeping and dressing in your cabin.  You have TONS of decks to walk ... lounge on, activities ALL over the ship.  I don't know if there is a Spinnaker type lounge on the ship you're cruising on ... but that is a nice place to read, nap and watch the world go by.  

I normally hear that from people who book insides.  And rightly so.

We cruise in a suite.  And DO spend time in it.  Or on the balcony.  For breakfast, at least one morning.  And other times to just relax and watch the water, WITHOUT all the people. 

The lounge can have annoying things like trivia games going on.  Yes, you can go somewhere else, but then something will start up there.  So you have to keep moving around.  

My balcony is always peaceful.

A couple of years ago, on a cruise, we met a couple in an OS that we hit it off with.  One evening we were talking about cabin choice.  And discussed the two sides.  1) Get the least expensive cabin and cruise more, or 2) Get a suite and enjoy the perks and room.

We looked around at each other, and almost at the same time, all 4 of us said, we are suite people. 😄

Whatever works for you.  That is why there are choices.

Edited by SRF

1 minute ago, SRF said:

I normally hear that from people who book insides.  And rightly so.

We cruise in a suite.  And DO spend time in it.  Or on the balcony.  For breakfast, at least one morning.  And other times to just relax and watch the water, WITHOUT all the people. 

The lounge can have annoying things like trivia games going on.  Yes, you can go somewhere else, but then something will start up there.  So you have to keep moving around.  

My balcony is always peaceful.

Most cruisers cruise for the experience of cruising and exploring and enjoying the ship.  I would NEVER pay money for a cruise and hide in my cabin all day!  I just came off of a transatlantic ... MANY sea days and some rough weather.  I LOVED it ... really enjoyed the 30 - 40ft. swells ... SO MUCH FUN ... but I grew up on a boat ... not living on one ...but dad had a boat and we'd go out on the Atlantic and the swells would surge ... a lot of fun. 

There are too many people to meet and dine with and play games with ... that's what I love about cruising.  

1 minute ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Most cruisers cruise for the experience of cruising and exploring and enjoying the ship.  I would NEVER pay money for a cruise and hide in my cabin all day!  I just came off of a transatlantic ... MANY sea days and some rough weather.  I LOVED it ... really enjoyed the 30 - 40ft. swells ... SO MUCH FUN ... but I grew up on a boat ... not living on one ...but dad had a boat and we'd go out on the Atlantic and the swells would surge ... a lot of fun. 

There are too many people to meet and dine with and play games with ... that's what I love about cruising.  

Yes, and that is YOU.

We do not hide in our cabin.  But we do spend some time there, and enjoy the quiet alone time.

37 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

20 Minutes ... showered and dressed and  OTTFD .... There are too many things to do and see and have fun with ... whether it's a port day or a sea day.  I do NOT look a disheveled mess... and I do NOT blow dry my hair or curl  it or straighten it ... I let my natural curls/waves flow free with clips or headband or a barrette .... I do NOT put on makeup on a hot, humid port day just to have it melt off.  LOL ... I LOVE how people think other people are looking at them and admiring them.  We're not. We're too busy having fun.  

Not all of us are bohemians!  😵

So happy for you that you are so much better than the rest of us. 🙄

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Most cruisers cruise for the experience of cruising and exploring and enjoying the ship.

And how do you know that? Do you poll everyone you meet? Do slip a questionnaire under everyone's stateroom door and ask them to contact you with the results?

We cruise to see the world and the areas reached from the ports. The ship and the cruise experience are a nice benefit, but not the main reason we are on it. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

Loving this back and forth.  Especially the all CAPs emphasis.  

Anyway, regardless of what kind of cabin I would not want to spend much time there.  If I was told I had to sit in my cabin or balcony for any appreciable length of time, I would refuse to go on a cruise.  So, I think it is very fair to say how folks like to spend their time varies considerably.  

3 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

And how do you know that? Do you poll everyone you meet? Do slip a questionnaire under everyone's stateroom door and ask them to contact you with the results?

We cruise to see the world and the areas reached from the ports. The ship and the cruise experience are a nice benefit, but not the main reason we are on it. 

I know because I talk to people.  I travel solo ... I share tables at breakfast & dinner.  I meet people in the solo groups.  I meet people playing trivia and other games and going to see AMAZING performers on the ship and talking to them and learning about them.  

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Loving this back and forth.  Especially the all CAPs emphasis.  

Anyway, regardless of what kind of cabin I would not want to spend much time there.  If I was told I had to sit in my cabin or balcony for any appreciable length of time, I would refuse to go on a cruise.  So, I think it is very fair to say how folks like to spend their time varies considerably.  

Hmmm. I can't remember ever having someone tell me how much time I had to sit in my cabin or on my balcony, whether an "appreciable length of time" or not. But, I get your last point and agree with it. 😉

Edited by SantaFeFan

1 hour ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Serious thought for what?  It's basically a 'free' cruise ... short  ... yes ... and you only pay taxes and port fees.  GO FOR IT ... you won't be in that cabin hardly at all!  And it's hours ... you can deal with it for those hours .... 

😬 Geez

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Whatever works for you.  That is why there are choices.

Exactly.  

Some people (like you) really do get enjoyment from their balcony (or suite) -- it is "worth it" to them to spend that money, there is a value in it to them.

Other people (like me) are just as happy in an inside room -- it's just a place to sleep, shower, and change clothes, so there is no value in it to me. 

Note that I said I was JUST AS HAPPY in an inside... I'm not "making do" in an inside, or "putting up with" an inside.  I actually enjoy my inside room.   

I've had a Central Park balcony three times on Oasis class, and an inside on Oasis class, and I enjoyed all four of the cruises equally.  (The only reason I got the balcony rooms was because they were cheaper than an inside at the time I booked.)

Full disclosure: I do have an Ocean View balcony coming up on Explorer, but that's because the person going with me didn't want an inside.  But my B2B (solo) on Majesty next month and my B2B (with friend) on Mariner will both be in inside rooms.

So yes, I've tried both, and FOR ME PERSONALLY there isn't a value in spending money on a balcony that I won't use.  And I have many friends who refuse to cruise if they can't have a balcony, and that's totally fine too.  

What I have a problem with is people who look down on people who cruise in a different type of room, for whatever reason, and I'm seeing a lot of that in this thread (and have seen it many times on other threads here over the years).  

When I walk past a balcony, Junior Suite or other type of suite room, I don't think the people in them are idiots for paying more money for their cruise than I paid for mine.  When I meet someone who is in a balcony or suite, I don't have contempt for them for their room decision.  I'm just happy for them that they get to cruise, and hope they're having as good a time as I am.

If you like the room you cruise in, great!  But why would you care what type of room other people cruise in?  

(And SRF, I hope you know I'm using a generic "you" in this rant and it's not directed at you personally.  You've already stated "to each their own" and I was just agreeing with you.)

1 hour ago, SRF said:

We do not hide in our cabin.  But we do spend some time there, and enjoy the quiet alone time.

I 'test out' as an extreme extrovert and that may be why I really need my "quiet alone time."  And mid to late afternoon is usually that time for us.  Stretch out, read, nap, whatever.

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

THIS!

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As long as you are thinking of making a change, how about considering a different line?

Good point. Why start at the bottom when there are better cruise lines out there for about the same price? The chance of coming away with a favorable impression of cruising is more likely on lines other than the entry level ones.