Cruise Critic Community
Juno777

Who is currently booked on a World Cruise?

aquadesiac, I din’t know.  we will be flying with points and planning extended stay in Sydney upon our return. 

On 9/9/2019 at 3:08 PM, Sergeant Major said:

We have 108 membership campgrounds were we can camp for free; so even if we stay at each one of them for one month each, it takes 9 years just to visit them all one time. We also have 100s of discounted campgrounds. As far as timeshares go, we have about 150 of them we can now live in with just the yearly maintenance fee costs, as well as 100s of discounted timeshares. We could live 12 months per year in campgrounds, timeshares, or cruise ships, but choose to do varying amounts of time in each. . 🙂

Wow, just the 150 timeshares boggles my mind ! It seems like a lot of yearly fees to pay. Not to mention whatever fees the 108  campground memberships require.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:49 AM, jertom said:

Wow, just the 150 timeshares boggles my mind ! It seems like a lot of yearly fees to pay. Not to mention whatever fees the 108  campground memberships require.

jertom,

The campground membership has cost us around $20K with all previous upgrades & 9 years of past annual maintenance fees, but now the only cost going forward is the $585.00 per year annual maintenance fee for up to 365 days of pre-paid camping. The campgrounds include everything prepaid (water, electric, sewer, trash, property taxes, maintenance, lawn care, etc. as well as all amenities such as pool, Jacuzzi, gym, other rec facilities, lodges, day rooms, restrooms, etc.), so that is how we save enough money to also do cruises. Got to pay to play, but campground membership(s) can be a big money saver in the long run.

Edited by Sergeant Major

2 hours ago, Sergeant Major said:

jertom,

The campground membership has cost us around $20K with all previous upgrades & 9 years of past annual maintenance fees, but now the only cost going forward is the $585.00 per year annual maintenance fee for up to 365 days of pre-paid camping. The campgrounds include everything prepaid (water, electric, sewer, trash, property taxes, maintenance, lawn care, etc. as well as all amenities such as pool, Jacuzzi, gym, other rec facilities, lodges, day rooms, restrooms, etc.), so that is how we save enough money to also do cruises. Got to pay to play, but campground membership(s) can be a big money saver in the long run.

Thanks for the explanation. $585 a year is a good deal. I assume that is a membership that allows camping at multiple campgrounds all around the country ?

Just now, jertom said:

Thanks for the explanation. $585 a year is a good deal. I assume that is a membership that allows camping at multiple campgrounds all around the country ?

Jertom,

Yes, the 108 campgrounds, included in our membership, are all owned by the same corporation, and are spread around the USA. The more we use the system, the lower our overall, nightly camping cost, since the yearly maintenance fee is the only cost going forward.

Edited by Sergeant Major

12 hours ago, Sergeant Major said:

Jertom,

Yes, the 108 campgrounds, included in our membership, are all owned by the same corporation, and are spread around the USA. The more we use the system, the lower our overall, nightly camping cost, since the yearly maintenance fee is the only cost going forward.

Very good ! A real incentive to use those campgrounds and keep travel costs down. Good luck !.

3 hours ago, lovegod01 said:

It’s gotta be outta prise range for most people surely 

If you're talking about world cruises, yes.  It takes having lived a careful lifestyle, and to have been very fortunate.  I think most folks here consider themselves very fortunate, but they have also probably been thrifty over the span of their lives.

Re: price and affordability. We are, by no means, wealthy. But, we no longer own a home and will own no cars when we sail.  We will also be debt-free with a lot less stuff. We figure the costs of cruising with intermittent 1-3 month stays In various locations around the globe can be done within our $6K avg monthly  retirement budget (2/3 from Social Security, the rest from savings). I have worked since I was 17 and saved here and there as I could.

We figure the WC will cost us about $50K all in and we will offset that splurge the rest of the year with inexpensive apartments in Australia and then Italy. At least that’s the plan for Year 1. International nomads as long as our health allows. 

I've always believed that whatever goal we set could be achieved if we worked hard enough. I started talking about taking a world cruise about ten years ago. Somehow, we found a way to retire my DH early in 2015 AND do the traveling we'd always dreamed of. We took our first World Cruise in 2018. We're booked for our 2nd in 2021. 

If you set travel as a priority, and make a plan, you can make it work. 

We are definitely not rich; my husband worked for a county government and I worked for an insurance broker.  But about 25 years ago we had finished up with college costs and were thinking about building our dream house.  Then stopped to think.  What we really love is travel.  So from then till retirement we put aside almost 20% of our income. And committed to a "15% rule".  Anything we bought or could afford we paid 15% less and saved the rest.  If you can afford a $30,000 car, but one for $25,000 and drive that car to death. If you can afford/qualify for a $ 300,000 house just buy the $ 255,000 house and save the difference.  Drink water when dining out instead of buying a $ 3 soda.  No fancy jewelry or Christmas presents. Max out a 401k. 

You can do it