Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Georgia_Peaches

Cool Places To Stay in Jacksonville

We are heading to Port Canaveral to embark on the Sun at the end of the month.  Driving from Atlanta but DH wants to break up the drive over 2 days. We are thinking we will stop in Jacksonville. Looking for recommendations on places to stay for the night that offer hip bars and places to eat.  I've read some reviews on an area called River Walk but they aren't very positive regarding bars and restaurants.  Input is appreciated!

Check trip advisor.  Your question isn’t related to cruising on Celebrity.

Have you considered staying in St.Augustine? It’s only about 30 miles from Jacksonville. You will find a lot of hotels and restaurants there.

Sallie

1 minute ago, dsa181920 said:

Have you considered staying in St.Augustine? It’s only about 30 miles from Jacksonville. You will find a lot of hotels and restaurants there.

Sallie

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.  We love staying in a bed and breakfast there named 44 Spanish Street Inn.

I can't recommend a place to stay but avoid the Towneplace Suites.  We had an awful experience there last year.

Pool and hot tub full of leaves.  Carpet wet and fans blowing.  Breakfast buffet lacking;  the truck hadn't come yet.  Exercise equipment not maintained, etc.

15 hours ago, jelayne said:

Check trip advisor.  Your question isn’t related to cruising on Celebrity.

I know.  Sorry, I posted in the wrong place on accident.

13 hours ago, dsa181920 said:

Sallie

Thank you for the suggestion.  I had not considered it but think it's a good idea.  Appreciate the response even though I accidentally posted on the wrong board.  😐

19 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are heading to Port Canaveral to embark on the Sun at the end of the month.  Driving from Atlanta but DH wants to break up the drive over 2 days. We are thinking we will stop in Jacksonville. Looking for recommendations on places to stay for the night that offer hip bars and places to eat.  I've read some reviews on an area called River Walk but they aren't very positive regarding bars and restaurants.  Input is appreciated!

We like the Embassy Suites in the Baymeadows area.

However,  I would also suggest staying in St Augustine.

I live in the area.  DO NOT stay near river walk. It has gone downhill recently. I would recommend the Town Center Area, or the Tinseltown area.I would also recommend Jacksonville Beach, near the Pier. Great walkable area. In fact, I think Jax Beach would be the best and be fairly walkable. Ubers aplenty if you "need a ride."

Check out Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island.  About 30 min north of Jax - great beaches and cute small town.

nice walkable downtown with lots of restaurants.

There’s not much cool in Jacksonville. Definitely stay in St Augustine. There are many inns along the bay front downtown, or if you prefer a hotel, Casa Monica. Walk along St George street, have dinner at Prohibition Kitchen, the Floridian, or Preserved and drinks at the Ice Plant.

Thank you everyone for the information and recommendations.  We have decided to stay at a B&B in St. Augustine in the historic old town area.  Going to leave a few days early to get the most out of the visit as I have never been.  Not sure how I've lived 6 hours away from St. Augustine for the last 30 years w/o ever taking time to visit.  

Posted (edited)

I would opt to stay in St Augustine.   Not as congestive.  If you like walking you can almost walk to everything.   The history is great as it is the oldest city in the USA.   Don’t be fooled by the fountain of youth, it doesn’t help and tastes nasty. 

There is a street that is lined with bars, restaurants and etc west of A1A Highway.   It is closed to traffic and basically a pedestrian walkway.  

A1A Brewery in St Augustine is a fun spot.   If you are driving also go to Ragtime that is further north.   In A1A they had a beer called “A Strange Stout”.  I said there is a place by us called Lily’s Seafood that is a microbrew Bar in Royal Oak Mi and they also make it.   They said it is impossible as it belongs to them.  We frequent Lily’s and are members of their Mug Club and also their Wine Club.  I told the owner about it and he said it is because they designed and owned A1A and Ragtime until they moved to Michigan for a better school system.  They sold both to a conglomerate.   A Strange is the name of their  Grandfather Alexander Strange.  Small World.    A1A use to brew their own beer but the landlord wont allow them to do it anymore.  Ragtime may now be the better place but it is a drive. 

I told the owner of Lily’s about the beer menu that was on line and he told me about the landlord issue and said that is the problem when you don’t own the building

Recently in Mi  two brew pubs in the suburbs of Detroit  had to close because the rent has increased from $2500 a month to over $8000 during a 5 year period.  The owners said the rent just constantly increased and they can no longer afford it.  Success and demand  causes greed.   Hello Celebrity.  Don’t kill the golden goose.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched