Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SmashatSea

Sydney Transportation

Recommended Posts

Mulling over the idea of getting a private car and driver for the day we arrive in Sydney. We have just the one day before our cruise and would rather not waste time having to drop bags off at hotel and trying to Uber or walk everywhere. I'm from the states so where is the best place to look for a service like this?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SmashatSea said:

Mulling over the idea of getting a private car and driver for the day we arrive in Sydney. We have just the one day before our cruise and would rather not waste time having to drop bags off at hotel and trying to Uber or walk everywhere. I'm from the states so where is the best place to look for a service like this?

 

 

 

Not an answer to your question but, why a car and driver?

 

To see Sydney all you need to do is catch the ferry from Circular Quay. The same place your cruise leaves from. It's really not that much trouble to drop off your bags at the hotel. Although I suppose it depends on how far outside the CBD your hotel is located.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

 

Not an answer to your question but, why a car and driver?

 

To see Sydney all you need to do is catch the ferry from Circular Quay. The same place your cruise leaves from. It's really not that much trouble to drop off your bags at the hotel. Although I suppose it depends on how far outside the CBD your hotel is located.

Because from what we’ve looked at, the places we want to see are all over the place. We don’t just want to stay in Circular Quay. Also it’s our one big vacation we take every two years so I would prefer the ease if it was a reasonable price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google Sydney Limousine  and you'll see a few options. I've never used them myself but there are reviews, and you should be able to get quotes for a day of sightseeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What things do you want to see and we may be able to give you better options

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SmashatSea said:

Because from what we’ve looked at, the places we want to see are all over the place. We don’t just want to stay in Circular Quay. Also it’s our one big vacation we take every two years so I would prefer the ease if it was a reasonable price. 

 

I think you would be looking at around $800-$1000 AUD for the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SmashatSea said:

Because from what we’ve looked at, the places we want to see are all over the place. We don’t just want to stay in Circular Quay.

 

If you list all the places you want to see we can all help with a more logical and realistic solution for you. Sydney traffic is like a car park at the best of times. It won't be an enjoyable stay when all you see is the inside of a vehicle and lots of cars and traffic lights. 

Edited by PerfectlyPerth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SmashatSea said:

Mulling over the idea of getting a private car and driver for the day we arrive in Sydney. We have just the one day before our cruise and would rather not waste time having to drop bags off at hotel and trying to Uber or walk everywhere. I'm from the states so where is the best place to look for a service like this?

 

 

Just thinking about your thread title and wanted to let you know that the words Sydney and transportation had a whole different meaning in the late 18th century.  This was actually the sentence handed down to our convict ancestors!

 

I agree with others that you might regret both the cost of a limo and driver and the time spent in traffic.  Roads are really not the best way to get around Sydney.  There are usually other options depending on what you want to do.

 

With only the 1 day to see the best Sydney has to offer, I completely understand why you want to make the most of it.  The experts here just might be able to help you find alternate destinations and better options to achieve your goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, banzaii said:

Just thinking about your thread title and wanted to let you know that the words Sydney and transportation had a whole different meaning in the late 18th century.  This was actually the sentence handed down to our convict ancestors!

 

I agree with others that you might regret both the cost of a limo and driver and the time spent in traffic.  Roads are really not the best way to get around Sydney.  There are usually other options depending on what you want to do.

 

With only the 1 day to see the best Sydney has to offer, I completely understand why you want to make the most of it.  The experts here just might be able to help you find alternate destinations and better options to achieve your goals.

Yeah but they got a free cruise, like a few of Mrs Gut’s mob, some of mine actually got paid to come here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, banzaii said:

Just thinking about your thread title and wanted to let you know that the words Sydney and transportation had a whole different meaning in the late 18th century.  This was actually the sentence handed down to our convict ancestors!

 

I agree with others that you might regret both the cost of a limo and driver and the time spent in traffic.  Roads are really not the best way to get around Sydney.  There are usually other options depending on what you want to do.

 

With only the 1 day to see the best Sydney has to offer, I completely understand why you want to make the most of it.  The experts here just might be able to help you find alternate destinations and better options to achieve your goals.

Well good thing we aren’t in the 18th Century. Also can’t really think of another word for transportation. Thanks for the fact though...

Edited by SmashatSea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay so a bit more information about what we’re wanting to see/do. Definitely don’t want to be stuck in traffic all day so I’m open to some different suggestions! We’re from a Florida and this is our first international trip so figuring out the local transportation is a bit intimidating.

 

As I said, we’re arriving the day before our cruise around 8am. We won’t be able to check into our hotel until after 1pm and we will be at the Travelodge Martin Place. So we also have our luggage to figure out what to do with until we can check in. As it gets closer so will check with the hotel to see if they can just hold our luggage until the room is ready.

 

Theres a few shops in the Rocks we want to stop in and we also want to go to Taronga Zoo and perhaps the botanic gardens. We also have tickets to the Nutcracker at the opera house the evening of the the day we arrive.  When I look at a map, it feels all over the place. We plan to make the most of our limited time so we will probably being going going from when we land to when our heads hit the pillow!

Edited by SmashatSea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travelodge will take your bags as soon as you get there and hold them.

 

depending where you leave from shop the Rocks the morning of your cruise.

 

Ferry to the Zoo is best option anyway but probably not the day you arrive after a 20 hour flight.

 

Actually all that is in pretty easy walking distance if your hotel.

 

you don’t say how many days you have but....

 

1. Arrive drop your bags, wander the gardens till check in, relax fir a while before Nutchracker

 

2. Train St James, almost outside your hotel, to Circular Quay, Ferry to Zoo, return

 

3. Shop The Rocks, embark your cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SmashatSea said:

Okay so a bit more information about what we’re wanting to see/do. Definitely don’t want to be stuck in traffic all day so I’m open to some different suggestions! We’re from a Florida and this is our first international trip so figuring out the local transportation is a bit intimidating.

 

As I said, we’re arriving the day before our cruise around 8am. We won’t be able to check into our hotel until after 1pm and we will be at the Travelodge Martin Place. So we also have our luggage to figure out what to do with until we can check in. As it gets closer so will check with the hotel to see if they can just hold our luggage until the room is ready.

 

Theres a few shops in the Rocks we want to stop in and we also want to go to Taronga Zoo and perhaps the botanic gardens. We also have tickets to the Nutcracker at the opera house the evening of the the day we arrive.  When I look at a map, it feels all over the place. We plan to make the most of our limited time so we will probably being going going from when we land to when our heads hit the pillow!

 

All those places are pretty much in walking distance from each other, except Taronga Zoo of course. It's probably less than a kilometer from Martin Place to Circular Quay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

 

All those places are pretty much in walking distance from each other, except Taronga Zoo of course. It's probably less than a kilometer from Martin Place to Circular Quay.

From the Travelodge I’d say just about spot on 1 km, or as I said previously St James Station is right at the door step almost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

 

All those places are pretty much in walking distance from each other, except Taronga Zoo of course. It's probably less than a kilometer from Martin Place to Circular Quay.

Exactly, you couldn't pick three places in Sydney (Rocks, Opera House and Botanical Gardens) that were closer to each other than those three. Plus the ferry to the zoo leaves from Circular Quay.

 

Jer lag will probably hit you late afternoon. I would suggest dropping your bags at the Travelodge then heading straight to the zoo by ferry. Take to gondola to the top and walk down through the zoo to the ferry. Once back at Circular Quay, if you're still feeling OK, walk around to the Opera House and through to the botanical gardens. Then go back to the Travelodge, check in and have a rest before dinner and heading back to the Opera House.

 

If your cruise is departing from the Overseas Passenger Terminal then it will be very easy for you to drop off your luggage there then wander up to the Rocks to shop. You couldn't be closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I ask if you will be coming straight from Florida.

Because if you are it’s probably at least 24 hours from leaving your front door  to leaving Sydney airport.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes to clarify we are coming straight from Florida which will be around 24 hours of travel and losing a whole day. Thankfully our flight to Sydney is a red eye so we should sleep a little. We know we will be pretty but but thankfully the first two days of the cruise are at sea so we can recuperate then!

 

We are thinking of dropping off the bags when we arrive and doing the zoo that day. We want to do a behind the scene tour that apparently only has 2 start times trophies the day. Normally we get on the ship pretty early but this time around we may just drop the bags off and continue to explore. I think it’s safe to say the private car is NOT the best option! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SmashatSea said:

Yes to clarify we are coming straight from Florida which will be around 24 hours of travel and losing a whole day. Thankfully our flight to Sydney is a red eye so we should sleep a little. We know we will be pretty but but thankfully the first two days of the cruise are at sea so we can recuperate then!

 

We are thinking of dropping off the bags when we arrive and doing the zoo that day. We want to do a behind the scene tour that apparently only has 2 start times trophies the day. Normally we get on the ship pretty early but this time around we may just drop the bags off and continue to explore. I think it’s safe to say the private car is NOT the best option! 

After 24 hours of travel I think the biggest attraction for you will be a shower and a sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

After 24 hours of travel I think the biggest attraction for you will be a shower and a sleep.

When traveling, I'm quite determined. We've done a similar schedule on past trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SmashatSea said:

When traveling, I'm quite determined. We've done a similar schedule on past trips.

I’ve done Orlando to Sydney a couple of times and it’s a killer.

if you’re hotel carnt check you in early they will hold your bags and text you.

Check to see if they have a pre check in shower room.Marriot and Hyatt do.

Edited by Chiliburn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t mean to hijack the tread but I have a similar problem. We will be on a B2B and our turn around day is Sydney. We want to see the major highlights such as opera house, bridge etc. we were thinking of the hop on hop off bus.  We were thinking of taking the loop and getting off to see something closer. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOHO bus is pretty good, where do you dock? If it’s the OPT The Rocks, the Bridge ind Opera House are just a short stroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

We are on the Solstice in March, how do I find out where we are are docked?

It will be the OPT George Street the Rocks, next to the harbour bridge opposite the Opera House

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We did the HOHO last October in Sydney and it was a pretty easy way to get around many sights of Sydney and Bondi. We stayed at the Marriott in Circular Quay and it was in sight of where our ship docked and about 10 minute easy walk.  

Edited by Katyoparty
Sight not site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...