1st time on P&O any tips

Stokie33

3 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Selbourne - I am not not sure how one would determine this as a tongue in cheek comment. It was equally very telling that after my response others posted in your defence that you post helpful comments that were much respected and useful. I never questioned that, I have a great deal of respect for your input to the forum. I also had a response that pointed out the WHO  guidance on caffeine intake and questioned my comment re buying 4-6 coffees on the package given my statement that I am a retired healthcare professional. It really is no good at all trying to engage on this board. As I responded to the poster of that remark I drink decaff only but equally could have said get over it the NHS is made up of a wide church of health care professionals, many of whom would know nothing of WHO guidelines. However this has been the hair that broke the camels back. I will continue to spend my money with P&O as their product can be tailored to fit my needs. What I will not do is try to engage in this forum because honestly why would you. 

I don’t actually think the comment were that bad. This board though has to be taken with a pinch of salt and thick skin as there is a lot of bitchiness and arguments. I don’t ever think anyone should stop posting or stop saying their opinions and I’m sorry you felt hurt with those comments. 

The alcoholic bit could have been worded better but as I said it’s about 7 cocktails per day for the package which I don’t know from nhs but would say that’s a lot whether it be alcohol or coffee or even coke really. 

Dont let comments put you off though. There is good knowledge on this board. 

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Selbourne - I am not not sure how one would determine this as a tongue in cheek comment. It was equally very telling that after my response others posted in your defence that you post helpful comments that were much respected and useful. I never questioned that, I have a great deal of respect for your input to the forum. I also had a response that pointed out the WHO  guidance on caffeine intake and questioned my comment re buying 4-6 coffees on the package given my statement that I am a retired healthcare professional. It really is no good at all trying to engage on this board. As I responded to the poster of that remark I drink decaff only but equally could have said get over it the NHS is made up of a wide church of health care professionals, many of whom would know nothing of WHO guidelines. However this has been the hair that broke the camels back. I will continue to spend my money with P&O as their product can be tailored to fit my needs. What I will not do is try to engage in this forum because honestly why would you. 

I have already apologised for using the two words, albeit in jest, that seem to have caused you so much consternation, but I feel that your reaction is extreme and unwarranted. I agree that differing views can sometimes result in unnecessary arguments on these forums, but there are also some who seem to wait to be offended. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I don’t actually think the comment were that bad. This board though has to be taken with a pinch of salt and thick skin as there is a lot of bitchiness and arguments. I don’t ever think anyone should stop posting or stop saying their opinions and I’m sorry you felt hurt with those comments. 

The alcoholic bit could have been worded better but as I said it’s about 7 cocktails per day for the package which I don’t know from nhs but would say that’s a lot whether it be alcohol or coffee or even coke really. 

Dont let comments put you off though. There is good knowledge on this board. 

I absolutely agree,most people on here post with the sole objective of helping others on cruise related questions.

Edited by grapau27

Many thanks for all of the helpful comments we had already decided to do the maths when we get on board to see if the drinks package is worth it. We've decided to just walk around for a bit in the ports as my husband won't be able to do any excursions as he's suffers from anxiety, we're just hoping to enjoy the ship, chill out and unwind. 

Our passes say we can't get on the ship until 3.30pm is this enforced as I know it wasn't on RCCL, 

3 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Many thanks for all of the helpful comments we had already decided to do the maths when we get on board to see if the drinks package is worth it. We've decided to just walk around for a bit in the ports as my husband won't be able to do any excursions as he's suffers from anxiety, we're just hoping to enjoy the ship, chill out and unwind. 

Our passes say we can't get on the ship until 3.30pm is this enforced as I know it wasn't on RCCL, 

If you arrive before this time you will be given a coloured alpha card which are called in order as the check in desks have space, so you you should get on with a minimal wait time, unless there are severe delays.  One further word of advice, the coaches normally arrive around 2:00pm and they get priority as they arrive, so best to arrive before then.

7 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Not sure if it’s enforced but as far as I know it’s for staggered boarding so that the immigration bit isn’t too crowded. We set off early to make sure we had a bit of extra time in case of traffic. We were given a letter and asked to sit and wait to be called. Luckily for us it was no more than 10mins sat waiting then did the passport and the body scan etc and away we went. 

I don’t think I would get there lots in advance. We got to Southampton by 2. Took till 2.30 to get the car taken by cps (very busy) then we were on boat by 3.10. 

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you arrive before this time you will be given a coloured alpha card which are called in order as the check in desks have space, so you you should get on with a minimal wait time, unless there are severe delays.  One further word of advice, the coaches normally arrive around 2:00pm and they get priority as they arrive, so best to arrive before then.

Many thanks for that we are travelling down from Swindon that morning as want to give ourselves plenty of time so will hopefully be at the port about 1pm. 

2 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Many thanks for that we are travelling down from Swindon that morning as want to give ourselves plenty of time so will hopefully be at the port about 1pm. 

Think that was the time we were originally trying for. Two toilet breaks and coffee on way down took it to 2. They might not let you on the boat early but I’d rather be there early sitting and waiting than worrying about not getting there and missing it. 

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Not sure if it’s enforced but as far as I know it’s for staggered boarding so that the immigration bit isn’t too crowded. We set off early to make sure we had a bit of extra time in case of traffic. We were given a letter and asked to sit and wait to be called. Luckily for us it was no more than 10mins sat waiting then did the passport and the body scan etc and away we went. 

I don’t think I would get there lots in advance. We got to Southampton by 2. Took till 2.30 to get the car taken by cps (very busy) then we were on boat by 3.10. 

Many thanks will bear this in mind as we are parking with cps as well, we will be leaving to drive down as soon as we're ready 

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

Think that was the time we were originally trying for. Two toilet breaks and coffee on way down took it to 2. They might not let you on the boat early but I’d rather be there early sitting and waiting than worrying about not getting there and missing it. 

That's how I think as well, we have to regularly travel between Swindon and Stoke-on-Trent to visit my parents and the trip can take anything from 2 to 4 hrs. I figure we can always find somewhere to stop for a break if we arrive to early, I'm hoping to leave after the morning rush hour so giving us plenty of time to get there as long as the packing is done as away Sunday to Wednesday visiting my parents, got Thursday to pack then leave Friday on the cruise so will need the week away to recover 😁 

3 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

That's how I think as well, we have to regularly travel between Swindon and Stoke-on-Trent to visit my parents and the trip can take anything from 2 to 4 hrs. I figure we can always find somewhere to stop for a break if we arrive to early, I'm hoping to leave after the morning rush hour so giving us plenty of time to get there as long as the packing is done as away Sunday to Wednesday visiting my parents, got Thursday to pack then leave Friday on the cruise so will need the week away to recover 😁 

Is that a week away after visiting your parents or a week away to recover after visiting Stoke on Trent? I am a Stokie so I am allowed to say that!  Have a fab time!! 😎

36 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Is that a week away after visiting your parents or a week away to recover after visiting Stoke on Trent? I am a Stokie so I am allowed to say that!  Have a fab time!! 😎

Definitely to recover from visiting my parents lol 😂 I love them to bits but they are both 80 with dementia. I moved away 19 years ago but still call stoke home and always go the swindon Vale games, sitting in the swindon end cheering on the Vale 😁 

16 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I have already apologised for using the two words, albeit in jest, that seem to have caused you so much consternation, but I feel that your reaction is extreme and unwarranted. I agree that differing views can sometimes result in unnecessary arguments on these forums, but there are also some who seem to wait to be offended. 

OK and yes you have but did that make your initial comments right? Taking all that as you state - just how would anyone know your post "was in jest?" Did you say so? Did you use any form of emoji? No you did not and instead I have challenged those remarks or in your description "2 words". Further I went on to say I valued your input to the forum but no that was not recognised - instead incoming folks defending you based on you giving great advice etc etc - did I say you didn't?

Instead now you sum up my response as "extreme and unwarranted" . Yes fine. All I will say in conclusion is let all those who see fit to tag "alcoholism" or "borderline alcoholism" to anything let them have to live or work with people that have and then see fit to toss "tongue in cheek" comments around about it.  I buy the drinks package yes guilty but not as charged I have said a zillion times what I buy but yes incoming everyone is fastened on the 15 alcoholic drinks a day. 

But of course you say there are some who wait to be offended, my reaction must be classed as extreme and unwarranted?  No further comment required you are damned if you do etc etc..

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I absolutely agree,most people on here post with the sole objective of helping others on cruise related questions.

Really and how did the response do that? 

23 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Most regular posters are well known to give helpful advice while some posters don't.

I don't think the drinks package is worth it and I'm sure some people will drink more because of it to get their money's worth on the package.

I rarely drink at home but might have a few pints a night on the ship.

On RCCL as a Diamond+ loyalty member I have the option of 3.5 hours of free drinks a night in the Diamond loyalty lounge and might have 4-5 glasses of wine a night.

47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Most regular posters are well known to give helpful advice while some posters don't.

I don't think the drinks package is worth it and I'm sure some people will drink more because of it to get their money's worth on the package.

On RCCL as a Diamond+ loyalty member I have the option of 3.5 hours of free drinks a night in the Diamond loyalty lounge and might have 4-5 glasses of wine a night.

That is a drink problem according to the "experts". I don't know what that makes me cos I drink a couple more than that,lol.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That is a drink problem according to the "experts". I don't know what that makes me cos I drink a couple more than that,lol.

Well I'll have that much while I'm deciding what I want to drink! The package does save me having to remember my name and focus when trying to sign for a drink!!!

The only drink problem is when the bar runs out of my favourite tipple or my wife says I've had enough!!!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Gazza64 said:

Well I'll have that much while I'm deciding what I want to drink! The package does save me having to remember my name and focus when trying to sign for a drink!!!

The only drink problem is when the bar runs out of my favourite tipple or my wife says I've had enough!!!!

LOL,I've just spilt my voddie reading that.

38 minutes ago, dazlight said:

A good tip is don’t wear jeans as snobs won’t like it if you sit near them 😂

The funny thing is that the people who are snobby about clothes usually have the least to be snobby about.

All fur coat and.........😉

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, grapau27 said:

Enough said

23 hours ago, dazlight said:

A good tip is don’t wear jeans as snobs won’t like it if you sit near them 😂

If P&O allow it then they have no right what so ever to say anything about it (unless you try it on a formal night😀)

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 3:16 PM, ccpm said:

All you have to do is click on a posters profile and you can read their posts and you can soon see who is helpful and who is a wind up merchant.