Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PortFees45

People who sleep on the Waterfront are gross

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Then you'll have every right to take a picture of me doing it. That's my point.

 

This isn't some personal opinion. Privacy rights have a basis in common law. If someone does a 360 degree video selfie on the pool deck and wants to put it on Youtube, do they need to obtain the permission of everyone in the shot first? Of course not. 

Yes, this is correct.  The only pic I might have thought twice about posting is that of the sleeping child.  I think small children should be protected from the random pic postings of others.  Just my opinion but I'm an educator so I will always err on the side of the child.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Then you'll have every right to take a picture of me doing it. That's my point.

 

This isn't some personal opinion. Privacy rights have a basis in common law. If someone does a 360 degree video selfie on the pool deck and wants to put it on Youtube, do they need to obtain the permission of everyone in the shot first? Of course not. 

 

It's not a question of legality. Sleeping in public isn't illegal either. Both are just distasteful, disrespectful, and yes, gross IMNSHO. 

 

Edited by DirtyDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DirtyDawg said:

 

It's not a question of legality. Sleeping in public isn't illegal either. Both are just distasteful, disrespectful, and yes, gross. 

Do you think it is distasteful, disrespectful and yes, gross that NCL films the Mr. Sexy Legs competition and pipes it into everyone' staterooms on repeat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, this is correct.  The only pic I might have thought twice about posting is that of the sleeping child.  I think small children should be protected from the random pic postings of others.  Just my opinion but I'm an educator so I will always err on the side of the child.

 

Would always agree that child should be protected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

I don't do stupid things in public places. That's kind of the point. 

You think you don't but I wonder what others think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Do you think it is distasteful, disrespectful and yes, gross that NCL films the Mr. Sexy Legs competition and pipes it into everyone' staterooms on repeat?

 

If you cannot see the difference between surreptitiously photographing sleeping people (and posting it on the internet) and the cruise line filming a voluntary activity that the participants know full well is being filmed - then there is little to discuss further.  

 

I'm not going to change your opinion and you sure won't change my opinion. 

 

Happy cruising. 

 

But don't fall asleep.... 😀

Edited by DirtyDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A thread like this always makes me wonder why people are so concerned with what others do?  I can't imagine spending my vacation taking photos of people other than my family.  Do you really have nothing better to do on vacay then think of what you'll write on FB or CC?  I don't remember any of the things that were bothersome on vacay only the positives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

You think you don't but I wonder what others think?

 

I think people from different regions might find humor in things that are everyday for those in another region.  I come from southern West Virginia, enough said.

 

3 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

I don't remember any of the things that were bothersome on vacay only the positives. 

 

If you find something someone else does so silly/stupid that it puts a smile on your face, wouldn't you like to pull that smile back on your face 10 years later.  I have trouble trying to put a picture onto FB or CC (my IT ability is so low it should be laughable to others) so I don't take the time to try to figure out how to do it unless it is important to me.  But I find pictures on here all the time that make me smile, so I hope others will keep it up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can add me to the group of cruisers who find taking pictures of people without their knowledge distasteful. Then to take those same pictures and laugh at them is beyond distasteful. When you are laughing and poking fun at something that another person has done, just puts you in the “bullying” category for me. If you don’t like something that someone else is doing, if it is not personally affecting you...then just move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these pictures taken the same day?  at the same time?  

Maybe they should check the air quality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posters were criticized for having no proof of what they stated they saw on the ship.

Once the proof is posted, they are criticized for posting the proof. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

You'd put a pillow to your face that could have been under some fat disgusting person's sweating arse for 4 hours? Or even worse a cushion for someone's nasty middle aged corn-covered feet? 

Gerontophobia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diane67B said:

You can add me to the group of cruisers who find taking pictures of people without their knowledge distasteful. Then to take those same pictures and laugh at them is beyond distasteful. When you are laughing and poking fun at something that another person has done, just puts you in the “bullying” category for me. If you don’t like something that someone else is doing, if it is not personally affecting you...then just move on. 

 

Having the knowledge that someone is likely to take a picture/video and post it could be seen as an incentive for people to NOT behave in public in a manner that would be embarrassing.

 

As far as others "laughing and poking fun", doesn't the "if it is not personally affecting you...then just move on" apply to you? If other posters are laughing at the sleepers and you "don't like something that someone else is doing", how does that personally affect you?...unless you're one of the people that is sleeping in the picture. 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thistimeplease said:

A thread like this always makes me wonder why people are so concerned with what others do?  I can't imagine spending my vacation taking photos of people other than my family.  Do you really have nothing better to do on vacay then think of what you'll write on FB or CC?

 

Your post is an indication that you are also concerned with what others do. 

 

Someone sees something that they don't like and they post their opinion on it.

You see something that you don't like and you post your opinion on it. 

 

Both are equally valid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thistimeplease said:

Maybe you shouldn't cruise  as there are so many germs on a cruise ship, not just the chairs and loungers.  My dil will not cruise as she has a very compromised immune system and won't take the chance. 

Sorry but I think there are bigger issues to complain about but I guess people will complain about anything.

My oncologist would agree that cruise ships are dangerous places for the compromised. My point is, if people would just do the right thing and leave their nasty feet off the upholstery, those of us who enjoy cruising but need a relatively clean environment wouldn't have to stay away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Those observation lounges look absolutely revolting. 

 

I'm so bummed the Bliss is replacing the Escape in NYC. 

'The observation lounge on the Bliss is the most gorgeous space on a cruise ship imho. The views ,decor ,colour scheme  and furnishings are all wow. Then there is the reality of the chair hogging , it’s so bad we only managed to get seats once on our weeks cruise to Alaska.  People asleep everywhere you look , feet up on soft furnishings ( who does that) gross. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

 

Having the knowledge that someone is likely to take a picture/video and post it could be seen as an incentive for people to NOT behave in public in a manner that would be embarrassing.

 

As far as others "laughing and poking fun", doesn't the "if it is not personally affecting you...then just move on" apply to you? If other posters are laughing at the sleepers and you "don't like something that someone else is doing", how does that personally affect you?...unless you're one of the people that is sleeping in the picture. 😔

 

Yes, you are right. I should have just moved on. It doesn’t affect me at all. I just don’t like seeing anyone being “made fun of”. I actually hesitated before I sent my post for that reason. As for it being an incentive to not do behaviours that might cause someone to post pictures and belittle you, I think what may seem ridiculous to you is someone else’s normal. That is just my two cents. Hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday.🙂

Edited by Diane67B
Fixed mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ronbe65 said:

Posters were criticized for having no proof of what they stated they saw on the ship.

Once the proof is posted, they are criticized for posting the proof. 🙂

 

 

I'm sure at least one of those sleeping beauties in those pics was only there only because someone asked them to go and see how comfy the couch's were. And Wham, they being criticized and their pictures are up on the internet.

It sucks being a good Samaritan. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

 

I know one thing that is grosser than sleeping in public....

 

It's people taking photos of people sleeping in public and posting them on the internet. 

 

Now that's REALLY GROSS!!

 

As someone pointed out earlier, there is no expectation of privacy in a public place... If someone chooses to sleep, or do whatever, in a public place, then it's perfectly acceptable to photograph it... Besides, I was cruising solo, and just trying to find something to do... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

 

Yes, you are right. I should have just moved on. It doesn’t affect me at all. I just don’t like seeing anyone being “made fun of”. I actually hesitated before I sent my post for that reason. As for it being an incentive to not do behaviours that might cause someone to post pictures and belittle you, I think what may seem ridiculous to you is someone else’s normal. That is just my two cents. Hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday.🙂

For the record, I took the pictures, not to laugh at or make fun of anyone... I was only reporting on what was going on at the time, which was people sleeping in a public place...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

As for it being an incentive to not do behaviours that might cause someone to post pictures and belittle you, I think what may seem ridiculous to you is someone else’s normal.

 

If it is their "normal", then having it posted on the forum shouldn't bother them. Maybe it doesn't bother them and they are having a good laugh about it (which is fine, too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s obvious that those who think this is ok are the ones sleeping with their sweaty fat arses and drool and sweat stains all over everything so of course they’re going to say it’s ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes, life as a 3rd class passenger.  I'm sure Haven guests don't have to put up with such behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

It’s obvious that those who think this is ok are the ones sleeping with their sweaty fat arses and drool and sweat stains all over everything so of course they’re going to say it’s ok. 

 

Aside from the fact that if it was truly obvious it wouldn't need to be said, would thier "fat arses" not sweat and leave "sweat stains all over everything" if they were awake for the time they were in the chair? I'm not aware of the exclusive connection between sleep and sweat.

 

As an aside...it is funny how people were all outraged when NCL removed observation lounges from some ships and now that they've put an observation lounge on a ship, everyone is outraged that there people in there who simply want to lounge.

 

Oh for the days when Cruise Critic was about sharing the joy of cruising and not a place for the aggrieved to wallow in their perceived state of perpetual victimhood.

Edited by SeaShark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

I'm not talking about nodding off for a few minutes while reading a book. I mean the people who get fully horizontal on a couch, disgusting feet up on the cushions, drooling on a pillow and straight up going-into-REM-sleep SLEEPING. 

 

It's nasty. Sleep in your room. Thank god someone in another thread confirmed they saw crew members swapping out/cleaning the cushions on the Waterfront furniture. 

 

On the Encore, with such a tiny sliver of the upper decks available to general pax, I assume the problem will be even worse. 

Try Oceania or Paul Gaugin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...