Cruise Critic Community
MRSG29

Carnival Horizon - Specialty Dining Restaurants

Sailing on the Horizon in Feb. Was looking at the Specialty Dining Restaurants. Those that have been on the Horizon, which ones did you do? Thoughts?

Cucina del Capitano (Italian)
Steakhouse
JiJi Asian Kitchen
The Chef's Table (did this on the Conquest)
Bonsai Teppanyaki

8 minutes ago, MRSG29 said:
Sailing on the Horizon in Feb. Was looking at the Specialty Dining Restaurants. Those that have been on the Horizon, which ones did you do? Thoughts?

Cucina del Capitano (Italian) - I thought it was pretty good but wasn’t overwhelmed. My husband LOVES Italian and really liked the bolognese dish.
Steakhouse  - Loved everything about our meal from apps to desert. Our steaks were delish. The cheesecake was super yummy.
JiJi Asian Kitchen - Did not try
The Chef's Table (did this on the Conquest) - Did not try
Bonsai Teppanyaki -- I’ve been to Japan many times and love sushi. I thought the quality of everything we tried was excellent.

Was on the Vista last year which has pretty much the  same setup. Above were my thoughts on each. Overall I loved the variety of different dining options.

3 minutes ago, mslhb said:

Was on the Vista last year which has pretty much the  same setup. Above were my thoughts on each. Overall I loved the variety of different dining options.

Thanks for the feedback. We were on the Vista back in Oct. We just did the Steakhouse. Always good on every cruise. Want to try the Italian restaurant this time. We did the Chef's Table on the Conquest last year. Would like to try it on the newer bigger ships. 

Love Japanese Steakhouses so interested to see how it is on the ship.

We did every restaurant on Horizon in March, with the exception of the Chef’s table. We liked all of them, but for the money, we felt JiJis was the best deal.  

We got off the Horizon last Sunday. My favorite was the italian- and had we not saved it for the last night, I think I would have eaten there several more nights. I loved the ambiance, and I thought the food was really good! 

3 hours ago, lensonlife said:

We got off the Horizon last Sunday. My favorite was the italian- and had we not saved it for the last night, I think I would have eaten there several more nights. I loved the ambiance, and I thought the food was really good! 

Thanks. Definitely looking forward to the Italian.

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We did every restaurant on Horizon in March, with the exception of the Chef’s table. We liked all of them, but for the money, we felt JiJis was the best deal.  

Thanks for the feedback. Actually going to try the Chef's table. Want to see what its like on another ship.

Posted (edited)

Haven’t been on Horizon yet but If I did I would try the Teppanyaki for sure. I’ve heard it sells out.

Edited by Saint Greg

Jijis was the best Asian style food we have ever had. I would go as far to say it was the best meal I have had in my number of cruisers. We also had a great experience in that steak house. Both of these on horizon last August. 

The Horizon had a specialty dining package when I was on-board the end of May.  It was $60 for 3 restaurants to include 1 night at steak house.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, JaniceB said:

The Horizon had a specialty dining package when I was on-board the end of May.  It was $60 for 3 restaurants to include 1 night at steak house.

How did you sign up for that?

I purchased at a specialty restaurant the first night.  I was walking by and saw the sign and ask the hostess.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, MRSG29 said:

Cucina del Capitano (Italian) Dinner.  Lots of food for the $.
Steakhouse We always do this.  New menu, Smoked oysters were really smoked. The arte d' table dessert was an interesting work but almost too much for 2.
JiJi Asian Kitchen Our Fav.  Could eat here every night, LOL.  We ate there twice.  But had eaten at the one on the Vista last year. 
The Chef's Table (did this on the Conquest)Did not do.
Bonsai Teppanyaki Lunch--sushi boat and udon.

Also, did Pig n Anchor on embarkation (buffet style) and one evening ,when ala carte items are served.  Ribs were pretty good at night.  Sides were decent but not the best. Brisket wasn't good. Pulled pork decent. Sausages were fine at embarkation.

For me the specialty dining was a welcome relief from the large dining room.  It really felt like we were not on a ship with 4,000 people.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 10:22 AM, JaniceB said:

The 3 night package is good at Fahrenheit 55, Jiji's and Cucina del Capitano.  Instead of paying 38-15-15, you pay 60 and save 8 bucks per person.  I think that Cucina and Jiji's give you your best value at 15 per, followed by the steakhouse and then Teppanyaki.  Teppanyaki is the same price that you'd pay at any land based venue.  The tomahawk pork chop at Cucina is really good.

Edited by SNJCruisers

6 hours ago, JaniceB said:

For me the specialty dining was a welcome relief from the large dining room.  It really felt like we were not on a ship with 4,000 people.  

I think that’s one of the things that felt soooo good to me too- especially on the last night. It felt like an oasis. 😌