Cruise Critic Community
Jasonmom

Best bourbon included in UBP

Haven't drank bourbon in awhile.  What is best bourbon available on UBP?

Bullet is in package.  A surprising choice is a woodford reserve old fashioned ($13.95 at gatsbys on Dawn).  Check the menu at a whiskey bar.  Also had the jack Daniels gold on the Breakaway.  If you get woodford straight up it’s $22.  There is a jack daniels rye that is quite good as well that’s in package.  Blanton is available for a small upcharge as well

I think their bourbon prices go up and down with every cruise.   Last time I had to settle on Bulliet  for one under the max.  JD #7 is usually in there.  Knob Creek once.   

OK - do you have any regular - special - unique - local - bourbon that is your go to the liquor cabinet choice ?

The best part about that UBP is you can taste your buds to the liquor fantastic until you find that dream grail !

I like Woodford neat but it is usually in a higher drink tier with surcharge (and that damn gratuity to boot) !

That Premium Plus UBP is not quite worth it for the difference.

I had Elijah Craig at Maltings on the Bliss last spring

I got Woodford a few weeks ago on the Escape with no upcharge.  This was in 5 0’Clock Somewhere Bar on the WaterFront for no upcharge on the Drink Package.  Matter of fact, first day of he cruise, tipped the bartender $5 and he made my drinks “doubles” and “triples” of Woodford for no upcharge.

That said, I usually drink Jefferson Reserve, which no ship or cruise line carries (to my knowledge).  So, I’m happy with Bulliet.

I believe it was the last cruise that the bartender explained that with the drink package he could pour a double if you ask.  Reason is that you can get two drinks with one card.   However, if I then wanted another drink for my wife at the same time,  he would have to scan a second card also.     Whatever works for them.   It varies between ships and bartenders I guess.  

15 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You are going to have to change your avatar to drink !  LOL !

😜 Man, I didn't get that when I read it the first time. Duh 🤪

The reason I'm asking so many drink questions is I rarely drink, but I do enjoy it.  Got drunk off of rum punch on an excursion a few years back (was with my mother 😳) on accident - never imagined there was that much rum in the drinks - mom got pretty tipsy also.  Probably haven't had a taste of bourbon in 15 years (my son is 13 so I'm pretty sure on the number).  I used to love Crown and seven-up.  When I was in the military (late 1980s - early 1990s) I drank all the time.  

My son will not be with me on this cruise.  My brother (who has a drink or 10 at least weekly) will be on the cruise.  We both have the drink package.  My Mom will be with us, but she knows I never get to cut loose (OK maybe that once with the rum punch).

Cruising aside, if you like bourbon I suggest getting a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style.  I originally bought it in Kentucky for $85(750 ml) but I got another bottle at Costco for $60.  It is 115 proof but if you drink it on ice you can hardly tell.

Ahh my favorite thread!  Wife and I drink Bourbon like its going out of style...Who said Blanton's and WHERE on Breakaway can I find it?  That's our favorite!  Bulliet is a good go to for mixing in Mules or Manhattans, but when drinking on the rocks, I prefer Woodford or Jefferson's.  I have been getting into a lot of craft Bourbons recently (helps that I'm in the liquor business) and have tried cool things like Wild Turkey's Long Branch, Elmer T Lee, EH Taylor are some of my fav's.  Last year on RCCI, I was able to get Whistle Pig, Four Roses Single Barrel, Bulliet and some other cool whiskey's with the regular package.

We're going on BA in a few weeks, and definitely going to upgrade to the PPBP mainly for the Bourbon choices and the bottles of wine at dinner. Hopefully this thread'll still be alive and I can report back as to what I drank!

Blantons was at Maltings across from La Cucina.  Check with the bartender as they may have other surprises on the top rail.

47 minutes ago, Harratine said:

Blantons was at Maltings across from La Cucina.  Check with the bartender as they may have other surprises on the top rail.

They have Maltings on Breakaway???

2 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Ahh my favorite thread!  Wife and I drink Bourbon like its going out of style...Who said Blanton's and WHERE on Breakaway can I find it?  That's our favorite!  Bulliet is a good go to for mixing in Mules or Manhattans, but when drinking on the rocks, I prefer Woodford or Jefferson's.  I have been getting into a lot of craft Bourbons recently (helps that I'm in the liquor business) and have tried cool things like Wild Turkey's Long Branch, Elmer T Lee, EH Taylor are some of my fav's.  Last year on RCCI, I was able to get Whistle Pig, Four Roses Single Barrel, Bulliet and some other cool whiskey's with the regular package.

We're going on BA in a few weeks, and definitely going to upgrade to the PPBP mainly for the Bourbon choices and the bottles of wine at dinner. Hopefully this thread'll still be alive and I can report back as to what I drank!

Four Roses SB is indeed a good one.  I recently found Wild Turkey 101 be be really good, especially for the price.  But have seen neither on the ships.  

1 hour ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

They have Maltings on Breakaway???

Had to check I had the name right,,, yes the bar Is Maltings

12 minutes ago, Harratine said:

Had to check I had the name right,,, yes the bar Is Maltings

Yes, I just looked it up!  This just made my decision to upgrade WELL WORTH IT!