Drink package question

I realize that to get the drink package, both people who share a cabin must purchase the Deluxe Drink Package, however, I don't drink, but my daughter does. I thought I read in one of the posts that one person could buy the Deluxe Drink Package as long as the second person bought the beverage package (or would it be better to call RCI and ask). Our first cruise on Royal so I don't know if they bend the rules..

1 hour ago, rhuntington3 said:

Yes, you can do this but you must call Royal.  There is not a way to do this via the Cruise Planner.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Will call RCI tomorrow about this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barb65 said:

I realize that to get the drink package, both people who share a cabin must purchase the Deluxe Drink Package, however, I don't drink, but my daughter does. I thought I read in one of the posts that one person could buy the Deluxe Drink Package as long as the second person bought the beverage package (or would it be better to call RCI and ask). Our first cruise on Royal so I don't know if they bend the rules..

You can buy a deluxe package for your daughter and a refreshment package for yourself.  You just have to call to do it.

18 minutes ago, paulam said:

Can I get the deluxe beverage package for my husband and the classic soda package for myself or do I have to get the refreshment package?

To my knowledge, that combo (Deluxe and Soda) has not been reported by anyone booking pre-cruise.  However, I have read a couple of reports of that combo being allowed onboard.

One other option....you won't get the benefit of the reduced price, but you can purchase the Deluxe package onboard.  I think I read it comes out to around $63 (maybe $67?) per day with taxes and gratuities, vs. Deluxe + Refreshment at reduced rates.  Ultimately, it's your call.

56 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

One other option....you won't get the benefit of the reduced price, but you can purchase the Deluxe package onboard.  I think I read it comes out to around $63 (maybe $67?) per day with taxes and gratuities, vs. Deluxe + Refreshment at reduced rates.  Ultimately, it's your call.

We've never been able to avoid being forced to buy two packages onboard.

FYI, beverage packages are on sale right now! I called and was able to get the Deluxe Beverage Package for my husband and the Adult Refreshment Package for myself at a great price!  You can only purchase this way by calling, cannot do it online

20 hours ago, BensonFan711 said:

TAXES:  I  have only purchased the drink package a couple of times and did not pay attention to the price breakdown.

Do we pay TAXES on the drink package when purchasing it on board??  

Thanks. 

Edited by beachnative

8 minutes ago, beachnative said:

TAXES:  I  have only purchased the drink package a couple of times and did not pay attention to the price breakdown.

Do we pay TAXES on the drink package when purchasing it on board??  

Thanks. 

No, so far Roal has not charged US sales tax (except in "mistakes") on package purchases while in US ports.