Cruise Critic Community

When is the right time to purchase excursions? We are sailing Italy and Greece Nov 2019

Anytime before the cruise and when you are on the cruise ship. If you are a previous NCL cruiser, you get certain % discount for shore excursions. It depend on your tier level. Some of the shore excursions might be sold out before you are on board.

My recollection from our Western Med and Eastern Med cruises, we booked excursions pre-cruise, but did not pay until onboard. We booked early because some do sell out.

Posted (edited)

When does NCL post the excursions? Our Southern Caribbean on Epic in Feb 2020 only has 3 stops posted out of 9.

Edited by SKSMIKE5
spelling

Excursions for our February 2020 Panama Canal cruise have been showing up on the app over the last couple weeks. They show up on the app in spurts.  74 posted as of today. 

Son on of a Son,  how did you pre-book your excursions and pay for them on board?  When I add something to my cart online I have to put my credit card in right away.  

5 minutes ago, Pduaime said:

Excursions for our February 2020 Panama Canal cruise have been showing up on the app over the last couple weeks. They show up on the app in spurts.  74 posted as of today. 

Son on of a Son,  how did you pre-book your excursions and pay for them on board?  When I add something to my cart online I have to put my credit card in right away.  

Call NCL and select exertions. They’ll reserve them without payment.

I booked thru a travel agent. I’ll contact her to check into it. Thx.  

6 minutes ago, Pduaime said:

I booked thru a travel agent. I’ll contact her to check into it. Thx.  

We always use a travel agent ... but I book my excursions myself ... I always call NCL so that the charge doesn't show up until we are on the ship ... and I can use my shore excursion credits and my "gold" 10% credit.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll just call NCL directly.  This is our first NCL cruise so we aren’t eligible for any credits.  

IMHO doing research and more research, and once you know you want to book the cruise then book ASAP, they always allow cancellation but once they are full that is it.

Personally think in many ports the NCL is the most expensive, least interesting options and on our recent tour ( Venice, Kotor, Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, and Argostoli  the only place we did a tour was Sanitorini, and if I was to do it again, it would be DIY

I do realize that I could probably save some by booking similar tours outside of NCL but I think I like the idea of keeping all my expenses in one basket.  

10 hours ago, aero777 said:

Call NCL and select exertions. They’ll reserve them without payment.

If you have the shore excursion promotion, you can call and book without paying. If you do not have the promotion, payment is [suppose to be] due at time of booking (not onboard). 

11 hours ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

When does NCL post the excursions? Our Southern Caribbean on Epic in Feb 2020 only has 3 stops posted out of 9.

There is no fixed time. I've seen them listed years out and other times not until a few months. Your situation, where they are just listed for some ports is not unusual at all.

Can I book excursions now but pay for them when on the ship ? I have the free at sea exursion package, but don't want to pay now & end up with loads of credit on the ship.Or can I pay for my exursions now using the free at sea offer, & just actually pay the balance i.e exursion cost less $50. Hope that makes sense.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Orch at Sea said:

Can I book excursions now but pay for them when on the ship ? I have the free at sea exursion package, but don't want to pay now & end up with loads of credit on the ship.Or can I pay for my exursions now using the free at sea offer, & just actually pay the balance i.e exursion cost less $50. Hope that makes sense.

The $50 credit shows up the day after a completed excursion. Yes, you can call now to book for no payment, then the onboard charge will be partially offset by the credit.

Edited by aero777

2 hours ago, Orch at Sea said:

Yes, just call the excursion telephone number at NCL and they will book them with no charge. They will then send you a confirmation and you will also see them if you log in myncl.com. I did this last time and then after each excursion, you will see the excursion price less the $50 on your on board account after each one was completed.

Posted (edited)

I would like to book and pay for excursions ahead of time. I’m reading mixed posts on whether I would still receive the $50 OBC after each excursion. Anyone actually experienced this recently.? TIA

Edited by imlulu
Typo

7 minutes ago, imlulu said:

I would like to book and pay for excursions ahead of time. I’m reading mixed posts on whether I would still receive the $50 OBC after each excursion. Anyone actually experienced this recently.? TIA

Yes, you can book and pay in advance and then after the excursion you will get your shore excursion credit on your account.

12 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

There is no fixed time. I've seen them listed years out and other times not until a few months. Your situation, where they are just listed for some ports is not unusual at all.

Thanks. It seemed odd that only a few would be posted and thought maybe it was because they gave us the port credit and wanted to wait until we got closer. This is only our 2nd NCL cruise and we usually DIY . I don't want to go book DIY if the port credit and excursion option offered by them is just as good/better. I know the ship excursions are usually more expensive but would still like to compare. Thanks for the response.

Thank you, we had the $50 on board credit, we were told that it will be credited on my final bill. As for our cruise we are doing a few non NCL, as the price for theirs in places like Florence and Naples is too much when you have 9 stops.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:46 PM, SKSMIKE5 said:

It depends on a lot of things, but in your case it will be another few months before the entire list of excursions appear.  Our Oct cruise has just recently posted the whole list.