Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
frank808

Family left in Ketchikan

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Ketchikan is a very small port stop...so it's really difficult to understand how anyone could be so late to return - the ship docking area is close to virtually 90% of any shore activities.

 

Hopefully there is nothing serious that caused their delay - getting to another stop will be a challenge and likely very expensive.

 

Agreed.  The only thing that comes to mind is a private charter (fishing, sightseeing, etc).  Boat has an engine issue and returns late.  

 

At least they are together as a family where ever they are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2Beeze said:

I am sure there are many like that! 😊  But I think that basic empathy should allow us to not make that assumption without more information. There are a lot of irresponsible people, but there’s other things that can happen. Instead of allowing for that possibility so many people with zero real information conclude that those cruisers are just jerks. I don’t know a whole lot about the statistics on pier runners, but I do know a lot about human behavior, and it seems to me fair to at least not immediately jump to the worst opinion of them. I don’t quite understand why so many can’t at least consider the other option.

 

I agree. Some are acting like they have never been late to anything ever. People run late all the time in their  day-to-day lives so its natural to assume that it will happen on a cruise to a few. After all, who hasn't lost track of time when having fun.  I'm pretty sure they were not shopping or drinking and decided "Hey, let's make the ship wait for us a couple of hours!"

 

I'm glad there is enough flexibility built into the schedule that the ship can wait an hour without impacting the rest of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, hoping all is well with the family.  I can’t imagine that a family with children would intentionally “cut it too close” in this scenario.  Prayers for them.  Just hoping that no one was hurt or is ill.  Katherine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, my fellow Royal DS!  🙂  

 

We have to wait until next year for our Radiance B2B.  Love it there!  

 

Any  updates as to whether the family finally made it on board?  Bummer to miss out on any of the Alaska run.  😞 

At least they are not in a foreign country, and don't have to worry about language barrier or customs...assuming they are US citizens.  Our phones work there as a local call also..nice to have!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

People now use their phone as watches and the phone will change to the port time and they might not notice the different time.

 

July 2017, In Skagway, at sail away time, dockside the crew was waiting for some late passengers finally 1 lady arrived 20 minutes late, you could see that she was telling the crew something from the way she was looking back at the town.   Someone with a van must have volunteered to get the other person and a few minutes later a lady with a cane exited the van and the crew had a wheelchair to bring her on board.  Then the captain announced the some passengers had an accident and he was waiting for a report.  We were 1 1/2 hour late leaving.

Edited by phabric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, island lady said:

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, my fellow Royal DS!  🙂  

 

We have to wait until next year for our Radiance B2B.  Love it there!  

 

Any  updates as to whether the family finally made it on board?  Bummer to miss out on any of the Alaska run.  😞 

At least they are not in a foreign country, and don't have to worry about language barrier or customs...assuming they are US citizens.  Our phones work there as a local call also..nice to have!  

If you don’t mind me asking, what is a Royal DS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Really dangerous port? No

Many tourists die in Alaska? No

Excursion to Yukon from Ketchikan? No

Nothing to do in Ketchikan? Yes, lots to do... however if anyone's idea of visiting a port in Alaska to walk around a couple of blocks, visit Diamonds international and have a drink then yes, of course you will be disappointed. I think it's obvious common sense that Alaska is all about the great outdoors and wilderness, not shopping and walking around aimlessly.

 

If anyone is looking for a suggestion re an excursion in Ketchikan, one of the top 100 cruise excursions in the world (voted on Tripadvisor a few years ago, don't know if it still is) is this

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/AttractionProductReview-g31030-d11453865-Bering_Sea_Crab_Fisherman_s_Tour_from_Ketchikan-Ketchikan_Alaska.html

 

Yes, I did it so I have experience. Also recommended to good friends just last month on Azamara... they totally loved it. And read the many 5 star reviews from other cruisers just like you.

 

 

Edited by Hoopster95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Really dangerous port? No

Many tourists die in Alaska? No

Excursion to Yukon from Ketchikan? No

Nothing to do in Ketchikan? Yes, lots to do... however if anyone's idea of visiting a port in Alaska to walk around a couple of blocks, visit Diamonds international and have a drink then yes, of course you will be disappointed. I think it's obvious common sense that Alaska is all about the great outdoors and wilderness, not shopping and walking around aimlessly.

 

You forgot the biggest draw of that port - pigging out on Salmon!

 

051414 Ketchikan Arrival Day C2_Roam prior to Excursions.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Drink Stealers

👍

It's their secret code... a group working together to get as many drinks as they possibly can! 🤯🤪😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, island lady said:

Hope you are enjoying your cruise, my fellow Royal DS!  🙂  

 

We have to wait until next year for our Radiance B2B.  Love it there!  

 

Any  updates as to whether the family finally made it on board?  Bummer to miss out on any of the Alaska run.  😞 

At least they are not in a foreign country, and don't have to worry about language barrier or customs...assuming they are US citizens.  Our phones work there as a local call also..nice to have!  

No updates yet, but will be seeing about any tonight.

 

Yes we have been enjoying it immensely this week. Last week on Ovation, it was foggy cruising to every port except Victoria. And in Skagway and Juneau it was very hazy because of the smoke from the wildfires up north.

 

So much difference in weather conditions this week.  No fog yet and the haze is not as bad.  As I write this from our breakfast table, I am able to see the  mountains in the distance.  What a change a week makes!

 

You will love radiance. Crew is seems very happy and smiles with everyone you interact with. As someone else mentioned, I think it has to do with Capt Marek. He is very visible and small things like wishing the crew members happy birthday daily is good for morale. Goes with take care of your employees and the employees will take care of your customers.

 

There are actually 8 pinnacles on this cruise.  We got to talking and such as CL was pretty empty except for the 8 of them and the 3 of us before early dinner.  They told me they are on this ship because they wanted to sail with Capt Marek.  They are a very friendly and happy bunch.  Maybe it is because they are from Texas and live life large?  After dinner the lounge is pretty empty.  It has just been pretty empty except for another family of 3 that are from Jacksonville with a son our age.  We have been talking, watching the scenery and past by nightly.  Even was able to spot whales 2 of our 3 nights sitting up in the lounge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, frank808 said:

You will love radiance. Crew is seems very happy and smiles with everyone you interact with. As someone else mentioned, I think it has to do with Capt Marek. He is very visible and small things like wishing the crew members happy birthday daily is good for morale. Goes with take care of your employees and the employees will take care of your customers.

 

Frank, I hear so many good things about Captain Marek.  Do you know how long he will be on Radiance?  We sail August 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

I am sure there are many like that! 😊  But I think that basic empathy should allow us to not make that assumption without more information. There are a lot of irresponsible people, but there’s other things that can happen. Instead of allowing for that possibility so many people with zero real information conclude that those cruisers are just jerks. I don’t know a whole lot about the statistics on pier runners, but I do know a lot about human behavior, and it seems to me fair to at least not immediately jump to the worst opinion of them. I don’t quite understand why so many can’t at least consider the other option.

 

I for one have seen one to many people stumbling from the pirate ship bar in Bermuda, or Senor Frogs in Nassau or people “strolling” with 20 shopping bags 1/2 an hour to an hour past all aboard time. 

On a Bermuda cruise with NCL here was a family that were missing some people in their group and the father went back to ship, checked in 2 kids under 10 year old and then got back off the ship to look for the others, he figured if the minors were onboard without an adult the ship would wait...... the ship did NOT wait. As it turned out they did have extended family onboard so they took possession of the 2 kids. From what I was told onboard had they not had extended family they would have been charged by the hour for the entire trip back to NY for babysitting services. That guy was ballsy and it blew up in his face. 

Edited by Casino Comp Chick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, breezy_carol said:

 

 

Frank, I hear so many good things about Captain Marek.  Do you know how long he will be on Radiance?  We sail August 2.

Will try to find out for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Don't know what the situation was here...

 

In most ports, it is self-important people who disregard all aboard times and think that the ship will wait for them. You see it on many shore excursions, so every one sits and waits and loses out on tour time. Captains should just wave bye bye to all of the pier runners.

 

No more ship sponsored tours for us. Way too many on a full size bus. There is always those few people when told it's time to go that just continue browsing the shops or decide it's at that point they need to hit the bathroom and keep 30 people waiting. Private tours on 8 passenger vans are the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what is a Royal DS?

 

There was a fun "tongue in cheek" thread that went on for a long time, started by "Cigar King".  We called ourselves "Diamond Superior".  We still laugh about it with "members" that were on that thread.  

 

Unfortunately apparently,  someone that did not find it funny,  had it shut down.  It was fun for awhile.  😉 

Edited by island lady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frank808 said:

No updates yet, but will be seeing about any tonight.

 

Yes we have been enjoying it immensely this week. Last week on Ovation, it was foggy cruising to every port except Victoria. And in Skagway and Juneau it was very hazy because of the smoke from the wildfires up north.

 

So much difference in weather conditions this week.  No fog yet and the haze is not as bad.  As I write this from our breakfast table, I am able to see the  mountains in the distance.  What a change a week makes!

 

You will love radiance. Crew is seems very happy and smiles with everyone you interact with. As someone else mentioned, I think it has to do with Capt Marek. He is very visible and small things like wishing the crew members happy birthday daily is good for morale. Goes with take care of your employees and the employees will take care of your customers.

 

There are actually 8 pinnacles on this cruise.  We got to talking and such as CL was pretty empty except for the 8 of them and the 3 of us before early dinner.  They told me they are on this ship because they wanted to sail with Capt Marek.  They are a very friendly and happy bunch.  Maybe it is because they are from Texas and live life large?  After dinner the lounge is pretty empty.  It has just been pretty empty except for another family of 3 that are from Jacksonville with a son our age.  We have been talking, watching the scenery and past by nightly.  Even was able to spot whales 2 of our 3 nights sitting up in the lounge.  

 

 

Wow...that is indeed rare to have that many Pinnies on board.  We have been on Radiance 3 times already, (love...love it!) and am looking forward to our fourth time (another B2B) next year.  This year we are spending the summer up here in northern Maine, which parts of do remind me of Alaska.  Just no glaciers and smaller mountains.  😉 

 

Last time we were on the Alaska Radiance route, there was one solo Pinnie, and two couples with just over 350 points making up the top three C&A level members.  We ended up being one of those, and were 2nd to top cruiser...go figure!  Usually not that many higher tier C&A members on those Alaska runs. 

 

The best thing about that was the wonderful dinner the HD, LA, and new beverage manager invited the top three to in Chops.  Robert from Vancouver was the HD at that time.  I assume he is not on the ship any longer?  He was great!  

 

Hope you continue to have a fantabulous time!  And no Spam!  😄 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Really dangerous port? No

Many tourists die in Alaska? No

Excursion to Yukon from Ketchikan? No

Nothing to do in Ketchikan? Yes, lots to do... however if anyone's idea of visiting a port in Alaska to walk around a couple of blocks, visit Diamonds international and have a drink then yes, of course you will be disappointed. I think it's obvious common sense that Alaska is all about the great outdoors and wilderness, not shopping and walking around aimlessly.

For your information, did not walk a few blocks and visit DI and have a few drinks.  Actually spent 6 weeks traveling around Alaska by Alaska ferry, Alaska rail, rental car and sailed back on Princess.

 

 

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

If anyone is looking for a suggestion re an excursion in Ketchikan, one of the top 100 cruise excursions in the world (voted on Tripadvisor a few years ago, don't know if it still is) is this

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/AttractionProductReview-g31030-d11453865-Bering_Sea_Crab_Fisherman_s_Tour_from_Ketchikan-Ketchikan_Alaska.html

 

Yes, I did it so I have experience. Also recommended to good friends just last month on Azamara... they totally loved it. And read the many 5 star reviews from other cruisers just like you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem Snit... I wish you had mentioned that in your post. Obviously you're light years ahead of 99.99% of us on this forum with that kind of travel time and experience, including myself. My post was aimed more to the ignorant assumptions of safety/people dying/nothing to do/excursions to Yukon/etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

 

Wow...that is indeed rare to have that many Pinnies on board.  We have been on Radiance 3 times already, (love...love it!) and am looking forward to our fourth time (another B2B) next year.  This year we are spending the summer up here in northern Maine, which parts of do remind me of Alaska.  Just no glaciers and smaller mountains.  😉 

 

Last time we were on the Alaska Radiance route, there was one solo Pinnie, and two couples with just over 350 points making up the top three C&A level members.  We ended up being one of those, and were 2nd to top cruiser...go figure!  Usually not that many higher tier C&A members on those Alaska runs. 

 

The best thing about that was the wonderful dinner the HD, LA, and new beverage manager invited the top three to in Chops.  Robert from Vancouver was the HD at that time.  I assume he is not on the ship any longer?  He was great!  

 

Hope you continue to have a fantabulous time!  And no Spam!  😄 😄 

 

Robert Taggart is on the Serenade of the Seas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

Robert Taggart is on the Serenade of the Seas. 

 

He is?!!!  Do you know how long?  

 

I am on Serenade early 2021 for over three months!  🙂  Would love to see him again!  

Edited by island lady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another potential problem is if your phone time is location based and you are on the ship wireless you can get weird locations.

On Ovation this year I had Hawaii time. I just manually forced location. Last year on explorer to Alaska had central time.

If someone doesn't check there clock could be off.

Ketchikan is also on Alaska time and 1 hour back from Seattle time

 

Hope they are okay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, island lady said:

 

He is?!!!  Do you know how long?  

 

I am on Serenade early 2021 for over three months!  🙂  Would love to see him again!  

 

No, but they tend to move Robert around a lot.  He joined the Serenade in May. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...