Why is Lemonade Free But Not Soda Beverages?

harryw

On 7/16/2019 at 4:36 PM, cowmilker said:

And that is exactly what we do. We book inside guarantee cabins. If we want a glass of wine, we buy it. Occasionally, we purchase a wine package.  We've once (on a TA) booked the spa for that portion of the cruise.  If I want a cocktail, I buy it.  We've never eaten in a specialty restaurant and unless it's free, we never will.

It's not about discipline. It's about the fact that neither of us need all those extra things, and we can cruise way more often and for way longer if we don't buy everything in sight and if we keep the dollar/per/day figure down.  We're perfectly happy in an inside cabin. We've been upgraded twice to OV cabins and they're nice but neither of us is willing to pay any sort of big bucks for that, and certainly not for a balcony.

We tend to DIY when it comes to ports, and have only ever taken one ship's tour, ever. We do private tours if it's warranted, but look for a way to DIY first.

I suspect we're not alone.

You have  a very well thought out plan.... opting for more experiences  rather than more stuff.   While not alone ( the insides book up first   I just booked for an october 2020 cruise 15 months out because there were only 3 inside cabins left)  ,  Your in the minority.   The cruise line business plan is to get a passenger to spend at least 50% of their fare on nickel and dime add ons.    Fancy cabins, Special meals, Pictures, bingo, shore ex, special food,  special treatment..       You also have been wise enough to realize that a cabin is  really nothing more than a closet a bed, a bathroom.    You really do not need more....  you can want more but the reality is its all want  not need.   The ship should offer far more outside the cabin and will.       

On 7/16/2019 at 3:33 PM, GUT2407 said:

Just looking at a cruise on Regent, includes just about everything, but talk about expensive up front cost. About $700 a day. But includes shore excursions, drinks, greats, specialty restaurants and flights Aus to LA.

The air rt  to Australia  is in Business   not coach.        Oceania  its prem economy air..  and runs about 450 a day..      I am on a 15 day med cruise and its  213 pp a day   $426.Day  280 ft veranda cabin   30% larger than a HAL .   .......   but its not about sodas for people  it is more about being on a nice ship with 600-1100 passengers    NOT  with 2000 to 3000 times that.   AND having 6 different dining venues French, Continental, Steak, Italian, Grill,Wine dinners.  all at no cost    and casual dress. For seafood and lobster lovers...  its served every day in every venue.... even the pool grill !   ............ No one needs that  but  being able to enhance your experience this way to some is worth it.   So would you choose to pay 25-50% more to have an experience with 100 t 200% less people, larger cabins and unbelievable cuisine of every type available to you...casual  dress, and no nickel dime sales pressure......  Its a choice 

Nothing wrong with HAL...  but there are options that may offer a higher personal value  experience        I sail both based on my desires.

Edited by Hawaiidan

37 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Did you call HAL to find out?

No. I enjoyed the HAL cruise we just finished on 7/7 too much to quibble. I only  seek sanctuary on CC for that...