Jump to content

Bottles of Water from Port Stops


Recommended Posts

Can you bring any sealed water bottles onboard from ports of call?  If so, what are the limits/requirements?  We weren't planing to bring a case back or anything, but thought it might be nice to bring a few back each day to avoid the high prices onboard.

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne, as long as one guest is of legal drinking age. Corkscrews will be provided for guests to enjoy their drinks in their stateroom. If guests wish to enjoy their wine or champagne in our dining or bar venues, there will be a corkage fee applied.

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted. 

Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The rule is:  You can't bring any on in a port. 

 

The enforcement:  spotty at best.  Most ships don't care about a bottle or two, but every now and then you run into an officer who insists on enforcing to the letter of the law.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChbyMnky said:

Can you bring any sealed water bottles onboard from ports of call?  If so, what are the limits/requirements?  We weren't planing to bring a case back or anything, but thought it might be nice to bring a few back each day to avoid the high prices onboard.

 

Thank you!

I always find the water on the ship to be free?  If you want your own water, you can bring a case per person when you get on the ship.  Ports you can't but sometimes you can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I always find the water on the ship to be free?  If you want your own water, you can bring a case per person when you get on the ship.  Ports you can't but sometimes you can. 

No, you CANNOT bring a case per person. Wherever did you get that idea? You may bring 12 bottles per STATEROOM only at embarkation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gerif said:

No, you CANNOT bring a case per person. Wherever did you get that idea? You may bring 12 bottles per STATEROOM only at embarkation. 

It wasn't all that long ago that you COULD bring a case (24-pack) of water when embarking.  I did many, many times without issue.

 

It sounds like that's not the case 😉 now though.

Edited by 3CatsInMA
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

The rule is:  You can't bring any on in a port. 

 

The enforcement:  spotty at best.  Most ships don't care about a bottle or two, but every now and then you run into an officer who insists on enforcing to the letter of the law.

I've never seen it enforced.  More than once, we've brought 1 gallon bottles of water, and never have been stopped.

 

Which is a good tip, the cheapest of the cheap bottled drinking water is less than $2/gallon at grocery stores.  Given the cost of a gallon, it's worth the risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

It wasn't all that long ago that you COULD bring a case (24-pack) of water when embarking.  I did many, many times without issue.

 

It sounds like that's not the case 😉 now though.

Actually, no. At that time, the official policy was no water or soda. It just wasn’t enforced. Not sure if the 12 bottle limit is enforced either but I do know that people who used to slap a luggage tag on a case and have it delivered to their room aren’t getting away with that anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Actually, no. At that time, the official policy was no water or soda. It just wasn’t enforced. Not sure if the 12 bottle limit is enforced either but I do know that people who used to slap a luggage tag on a case and have it delivered to their room aren’t getting away with that anymore.

You are correct about the "official" policy, but that's not what I was referring to.  My remarks pertain only to the ability to carry water aboard, and the reported changes recently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

It wasn't all that long ago that you COULD bring a case (24-pack) of water when embarking.  I did many, many times without issue.

 

It sounds like that's not the case 😉 now though.

 

The porters and luggage handlers understandably got tired of pax simply "slapping a tag" on a bulky shrink wrapped 24-36 pack of bottled water (which was technically never allowed in the rules).  The cases don't have handles, they don't have rollers...not a joy to lug all the way up to your cabin.  

 

Me?  I put my six to eight loose bottles in a duffel bag with a handle and attach a tag to it.  Never fails to make it to my cabin.  Easier for them to handle.  

 

Now the rule is 12 bottles, but must be in your carry on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

I've never seen it enforced.  More than once, we've brought 1 gallon bottles of water, and never have been stopped.

 

Which is a good tip, the cheapest of the cheap bottled drinking water is less than $2/gallon at grocery stores.  Given the cost of a gallon, it's worth the risk.

Changed now, seen it myself at 3 Ports so far. Try bringing case won't make it, was many on Naughty table at end of Cruise. The even before boarding few passengers trying bring water and pop were stopped, they returned it to their car. 12 count 17oz is the limit... Oh and only way get by with a Gallon water if it's Distilled for CPAP. Did see one doing that last Cruise

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Changed now, seen it myself at 3 Ports so far. Try bringing case won't make it, was many on Naughty table at end of Cruise. The even before boarding few passengers trying bring water and pop were stopped, they returned it to their car. 12 count 17oz is the limit... Oh and only way get by with a Gallon water if it's Distilled for CPAP. Did see one doing that last Cruise

"Now" must be relative.  The gallon of water was sailing on the Grandeur out of Baltimore in March/April, and we picked up two gallons of water at Publix in Cocoa Beach (Canaveral).  We didn't get water on our recent Freedom cruise because we forgot.

 

Not at the beginning of the trip, but in the middle.  

 

Did get water for a Freedom Cruise over New Years, and Anthem Cruise over Thanksgiving, and Allure in Sept 18.  

 

When they start taking water, we will stop buying it at ports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

The porters and luggage handlers understandably got tired of pax simply "slapping a tag" on a bulky shrink wrapped 24-36 pack of bottled water (which was technically never allowed in the rules).  The cases don't have handles, they don't have rollers...not a joy to lug all the way up to your cabin.  

 

Me?  I put my six to eight loose bottles in a duffel bag with a handle and attach a tag to it.  Never fails to make it to my cabin.  Easier for them to handle.  

 

Now the rule is 12 bottles, but must be in your carry on.  

I never just "slapped a tag on" to the case of water, I gently attached it. 😉😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, alfaeric said:

"Now" must be relative.  The gallon of water was sailing on the Grandeur out of Baltimore in March/April, and we picked up two gallons of water at Publix in Cocoa Beach (Canaveral).  We didn't get water on our recent Freedom cruise because we forgot.

 

Not at the beginning of the trip, but in the middle.  

 

Did get water for a Freedom Cruise over New Years, and Anthem Cruise over Thanksgiving, and Allure in Sept 18.  

 

When they start taking water, we will stop buying it at ports.

With anything Royal nothing is Certain. But they are stopping more then in my 30yrs, been bringing Mt Dew on since 1980's. We did see some getting stopped during Cruises with case water and Cases Soda, done 8 sailings in last yr. Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan and March. Then as said Gallons can be separate issue, dozens CPAPS every week on board so think less likely stop them... Just reporting mine and my Adult kids separate experiences at Multiple Ports

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to post
Share on other sites

I take many cruises. Living only 30 min from Fort Lauderdale. I have taken water on every cruise everytime, even when it was not allowed. Just returned from symphony and I carried on 3 cases of water in a suitcase. Yes 3 cases. I had 3 staterooms and never said a word. 2 ports my brother just carried the water right on in his hands. Again not once have I ever been told No. we have so many friends that live here in south Florida and they all take water too. Actually our neighbor was the captain of the Oasis “Trim” is is now with a sister ship of royal. Way have taken many cruises with all us neighbors on oasis when he was captain. So fun. Either way it has not ever once been an issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, auburn77 said:

My wife has to use distilled water for her sinuses each night. Do they sell gallon jugs of it on the ship? 

 

Ask your stateroom attendant, they give it to you for free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

It wasn't all that long ago that you COULD bring a case (24-pack) of water when embarking.  I did many, many times without issue.

 

It sounds like that's not the case 😉 now though.

I can remember just sticking a luggage tag on case of water and giving it to Porter with our bags. Never had a problem 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 11:27 PM, ChbyMnky said:

Can you bring any sealed water bottles onboard from ports of call?  If so, what are the limits/requirements?  We weren't planing to bring a case back or anything, but thought it might be nice to bring a few back each day to avoid the high prices onboard.

 

Thank you!

We have NEVER had any problem bringing a bottle or two back on board at any port. Some are sealed and some are sometimes half filled (half empty).    Often we’ll take a few off and not drink them all and carry them back on. 

M

Link to post
Share on other sites

Point is, it is not allowed.  If you try and get it onboard, fine.  If you try and it gets taken away, don't come crying about it.

 

I have seen many times that open bottles were required to be tossed.  And any container was required to be dumped.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SRF said:

Point is, it is not allowed.  If you try and get it onboard, fine.  If you try and it gets taken away, don't come crying about it.

 

I have seen many times that open bottles were required to be tossed.  And any container was required to be dumped.

To add to the other side, we've repeatedly brought back on board half bottles of water after going for a run.  Not once did they even slow down.

 

It's only a bottle of water, it's certainly worth trying to bring one back on board- especially if you get a good deal on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kidless said:

I can remember just sticking a luggage tag on case of water and giving it to Porter with our bags. Never had a problem 

 

When is the last time you did that with RCI in PC?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...