Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
takeout

Dining on Ovation Of The Seas

Recommended Posts

Is there a stand alone MDR on the Ovation

 

Rgds Sean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, takeout said:

Is there a stand alone MDR on the Ovation

 

Rgds Sean

Ovation has four themed decor MDRs but same menu for all. Two are Anytime or My Time and the other two are set times. We did the My Time and never had to wait more than a few minutes to get a table for four of us or shared. Our usual turn up time was about 6.30pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, takeout said:

Is there a stand alone MDR on the Ovation

 

Rgds Sean

 

What do you by 'stand alone'? 

 

Technically there is no main dining room (MDR). Instead, people are spread across these four main restaurants: The Grande, Chic, Silk, and American Icon Grill. These restaurants were originally designed to accommodate the now defunct Dynamic Dining program, hence the somewhat unusual MDR set-up on this ship. 

Edited by banzaii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, banzaii said:

 

What do you by 'stand alone'? 

 

There is no main dining room (MDR). Instead, people are spread across these four main restaurants: The Grande, Chic, Silk, and American Icon Grill. These restaurants were originally designed to accommodate the now defunct Dynamic Dining program, hence the somewhat unusual MDR set-up on this ship. 

That's them. I couldn't remember their names and it was only 18 moths ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks thats what i thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will have the usual specialty dining as well - Izumi (Japanese), Jamie's Italian, Wonderland and Chops Grille.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, takeout said:

Thanks Mic

I would recommend Wonderland as a one of occasion type experience. The others are good as well, Chops being my favourite but the food in the MDR is good as well, so there is no need to go to the specialty restaurants due to the quality in the MDR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We did a experiment, just for science.

we had dinner in the MDR and then went up to Windjammer.

The food on offer was the same but was fresher in the buffet.

its all the same food.

wonderland is weird but fantastic. 

If you can get a deal on specialty dining.

Edited by Chiliburn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget to visit the Solarium Bistro, it's not a paid specialty restaurant but you need to book, well that's how it worked when we were on Ovation.

We would have dined there every night, help yourself to Entrees and Dessert and the main is ordered via menu by the waiter.

It's a Mediterranean cuisine with lots of seafood.and meat. The bistro is also available for breakfast, a nice change from the other venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Don't forget to visit the Solarium Bistro, it's not a paid specialty restaurant but you need to book, well that's how it worked when we were on Ovation.

We would have dined there every night, help yourself to Entrees and Dessert and the main is ordered via menu by the waiter.

It's a Mediterranean cuisine with lots of seafood.and meat. The bistro is also available for breakfast, a nice change from the other venues.

Definitely, I had forgotten about that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, takeout said:

Is there a stand alone MDR on the Ovation

 

Rgds Sean

 All  the dining rooms have tables and chairs....Why would you want to stand, alone eating your dinner????🤔🤔 😀  Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

 All  the dining rooms have tables and chairs....Why would you want to stand, alone eating your dinner????🤔🤔 😀  Sorry

Lol, standing is for the cocktail parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, takeout said:

You got me Mic 😆😆👍

Think it was more Gbenjo that got you there.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 8:21 PM, cheznandy said:

Don't forget to visit the Solarium Bistro, it's not a paid specialty restaurant but you need to book, well that's how it worked when we were on Ovation.

We would have dined there every night, help yourself to Entrees and Dessert and the main is ordered via menu by the waiter.

It's a Mediterranean cuisine with lots of seafood.and meat. The bistro is also available for breakfast, a nice change from the other venues.

Solarium is the best kept secret on ovation but last cruise We dined ,3 times

,it was excellent except for the clientele.

 People that thought they owned the restaurant ,demanding the chief for every dish.

it was a real put off.

But the food was excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the breakfast options like in Solarium Bistro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Solarium is the best kept secret on ovation but last cruise We dined ,3 times

,it was excellent except for the clientele.

 People that thought they owned the restaurant ,demanding the chief for every dish.

it was a real put off.

But the food was excellent.

Didn't have that experience when we went, I would not have known who had been there before..... must admit not a lot knew about it. We dined two out of our 7 night cruise and had breakfast there a couple of mornings too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, banzaii said:

What are the breakfast options like in Solarium Bistro?

Breakfast is good,they only have American bacon.streaky bacon cooked till it’s hard.

 Solarium has a in house cook ,usually a chef That will cook a minute steak,pork chop ,egg.

 Smaller version of Windjammer.

 

Dinner is the best .last cruise was NZ .lots of seafood.

solarium is part of the specialty restaurants it’s not the same as the dining room or Windjammer.

For some reason you have to book even if it’s empty.

You suppose to order a main and then hit the salad bar.The salad bar by itself is fantastic.Mussels,batterd squid,fish.

AND THEY DO TAKE AWAY,so you can take it to your cabin.

Edited by Chiliburn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Breakfast is good,they only have American bacon.streaky bacon cooked till it’s hard.

 Solarium has a in house cook ,usually a chef That will cook a minute steak,pork chop ,egg.

 Smaller version of Windjammer.

 

Dinner is the best .last cruise was NZ .lots of seafood.

solarium is part of the specialty restaurants it’s not the same as the dining room or Windjammer.

For some reason you have to book even if it’s empty.

You suppose to order a main and then hit the salad bar.The salad bar by itself is fantastic.Mussels,batterd squid,fish.

AND THEY DO TAKE AWAY,so you can take it to your cabin.

Will definitately give it a go next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pizza at Sorrento's on deck 4 was also very good. We only ate there once, but it was fresh and delicious. It is included in your cruise fare (no extra charge). I also had a really good hamburger in the English Pub. It was served with the most delicious sweet potato thick cut chips. It was worth paying for. There is quite a lot of food that you can order in the English Pub on deck 4 (at an extra charge), and it is freshly made once ordered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 4:29 AM, Chiliburn said:

Breakfast is good,they only have American bacon.streaky bacon cooked till it’s hard.

 Solarium has a in house cook ,usually a chef That will cook a minute steak,pork chop ,egg.

 Smaller version of Windjammer.

 

Dinner is the best .last cruise was NZ .lots of seafood.

solarium is part of the specialty restaurants it’s not the same as the dining room or Windjammer.

For some reason you have to book even if it’s empty.

You suppose to order a main and then hit the salad bar.The salad bar by itself is fantastic.Mussels,batterd squid,fish.

AND THEY DO TAKE AWAY,so you can take it to your cabin.

On my last NZ cruise on Ovation we had breakfast and lunch many time without booking but there was always a free table for four when we went. If it was full we may have had to go elsewhere.

I quite liked the Solarium on Radiance too. Much more relaxing than the buffet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if they have a kids menu in the Solarium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...