2 cabins - people per room

Expatcat

We are a family of 5 and about to book 2 adjoining cabins. It is cheaper to book 4 in one cabin (and pay reduced 3rd & 4th person fares) and 1 in the other cabin (and pay single supplement) than it is to book the same cabins with 3 people in one and 2 people in the other. Any hidden pitfalls / disadvantages to setting up the booking this way? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Expatcat said:

We are a family of 5 and about to book 2 adjoining cabins. It is cheaper to book 4 in one cabin (and pay reduced 3rd & 4th person fares) and 1 in the other cabin (and pay single supplement) than it is to book the same cabins with 3 people in one and 2 people in the other. Any hidden pitfalls / disadvantages to setting up the booking this way? Thanks!

Go to website.  Try both ways.  Book which ever is cheaper.  

I suspect 2/3 will be cheaper than 1/4, but try it and find out for sure.  

What kind of cabins are you looking at? Balcony? Inside? What we do, and have since the kids were 8 and 9, is we got a balcony and an inside (our first cruise we did a minisuite for the 4 of us, and we found that the balcony/inside was a little cheaper, and gave us an additional bathroom). Before my oldest turned 16 we would have me in the balcony with 1 kid and my husband in the inside with the other. Once on board we would get additional key cards and both kids would sleep in inside while we slept in the balcony. If you feel comfortable with this (I don't know the ages of your kids) you  may find that the price is cheaper than 2 balconies, especially if one is charging the single supplement.

You may book however many the cabin will hold...and you can switch the occupants around once you've boarded the ship.  This is done ALL THE TIME.  They don't care.

Do "mock" bookings and see which way is the cheapest...then switch once onboard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ed01106 said:

When booking consider the fact that if one person in a room is getting the drink package everyone needs to.  So book rooms according if, applicable..

This is great advice!

11 hours ago, ed01106 said:

When booking consider the fact that if one person in a room is getting the drink package everyone needs to.  So book rooms according if, applicable..

Actually, not all lines require that. On Princess, they both do not need it.