Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
californiagirl

Cinque Terre touring later in the day?

We will be in La Spezia in mid-August from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm.  I have done exhaustive research on visiting/touring Cinque Terre.  Initially I wanted to find a private boat tour (for a group of 6) that allowed us to visit 2-3 of the towns.  I have several email inquiries pending for the boat tours.  I also researched taking the train or ferry and going on our own.  Everything I read or viewed on YouTube states that Cinque Terre has been over run with mobs of tourists (yes, I realize I’m one of them...LOL) from 9-5.  Since we arrive too late to get started early, I’m wondering if anyone has toured later in the day?  Say from 2:00 pm - 7:30 pm.  

Thank you in advance for your advice.

You will not avoid the hoards that time of the year.  Just go as early as you can and enjoy as much as you can :).   Been there a few times and never met anyone who did a private boat tour.  We have used the train, our own rental car, and one time did catch a small ferry between a couple of towns.  You can also hike between some of the villages...if you have the time.

Hank

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just go as early as you can and enjoy as much as you can :). 

Agree with this, the crowds are at their worst from midday onwards. Go to the furthest point and work your way back.

My experience has been that the only way to see the five towns without overwhelming crowds is to stay there overnight. The same thing is also true of Venice now.

how will it be at the end of september?  I'm hoping the crowds thin out.  We are in La Spezia Sunday September 29  from 7 to 7- also will it being a sunday make a difference?

29 minutes ago, samolem said:

how will it be at the end of september?  I'm hoping the crowds thin out.  We are in La Spezia Sunday September 29  from 7 to 7- also will it being a sunday make a difference?

CT gets a lot of weekend day trippers.  Just like popular spots in the US - people will go somewhere on their days off.  

Although this was not what I was hoping to hear, thank you for your replies. :)  Unfortunately we don’t get into port until 8:30.  If we arrived earlier I would be up and out as soon as the captain gave the all clear.  One woman in our group went in October 2017.  She said they parked above one of the towns, walked down to the water and found people next to their boats offering private tours.  They accepted an offer and had a great day hopscotching from town to town.  She said it was not crowded and the weather was very mild.

I think we will do an alternate tour and time it better next time we are in Italy.  Thank you all again.

Hijakcing the thread...  How is Cinque Terre in October?  We'll be there on Oct 19 this year.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, Langoustine said:

My experience has been that the only way to see the five towns without overwhelming crowds is to stay there overnight. The same thing is also true of Venice now.

Would tend to agree, we were there in early May last year, pretty busy then.. Dread to think how crowded it might be in high summer.

Problem of late in the day is having enough time to really see the cinque terre. We felt that we only scratched the surface and so wish to return and stay in the future but will need to be October or May to get this experience.

Most of what I’ve read about the crowding is attributed to the “Rick Steves” effect.  Don’t get me wrong I really appreciate Rick’s wealth of knowledge but it’s kind of like the blue Hawaii Revealed books.  By publishing all the undiscovered places known only to locals it brings the masses.  (I know I am one of the masses.)  Then the little unknown gems become overexposed or closed off by those in authority.  What really annoyed me though was a recent video by Rick Steves where he scolds cruise ship passengers for going to Cinque Terre.  If he hadn’t done an ENTIRE SHOW on Cinque Terre, it would not be so popular!