San Juan advice needed

9 minutes ago, CapeGal said:

OMG! Who changed this into a political discourse?  Please understand that what is going on P.R. is local but it does affect the cruise ship tourism since they are in Old San Juan. They have spilled into the OSJ area and you must be aware and stay safe. As far as "WE" in the USA have "due process" remember P.R. IS USA even if they are on an island and not in the US proper.  And read your current events especially out West where there are mobs taking to the streets.  Back to what to do. Monitor the protests and how far they bleed into the Old San Juan area.  If you want to stay safe and don't want to venture out, eat in the hotel you are staying at.   

Take a deep breath 

This has  been a political thread since the original post. 

I understand San Juan is part of the USA, hence the due process comment. 

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Take a deep breath 

This has  been a political thread since the original post. 

I understand San Juan is part of the USA, hence the due process comment. 

As the original poster, it was not meant by any means to be a political thread. I am just looking for suggestions on where to eat and see now that we are staying in Conado instead of Old San Juan.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pezgirlroy said:

Thank you snorkel2. This has been a very stressful trip to plan. Leaving oldest child at sleepaway camp for the first time. Youngest being watched by my parents. We were supposed to go to Punta Cana but cancelled. And now this. Just really need this vacation to start. 🙂

I am in the same position as you. Originally planned for Punta Cana, DR and then changing to Cruise round trip from PR. Will be watching this closely the cruise leaving from PR on Sunday. My cruise is a month away so hoping this is resolved. Will be wait and see. 

Just now, sawcochran said:

I am in the same position as you. Originally planned for Punta Cana, DR and then changing to Cruise round trip from PR. Will be watching this closely the cruise leaving from PR on Sunday. My cruise is a month away so hoping this is resolved. Will be wait and see. 

Well great minds think a like. I honestly think that we will be fine in two weeks.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Harmony of the Seas just aborted their schedule stop at OSJ for today. 

Yes, I just saw that. I guess a protest was planned at 5:30 in OSJ which would be around the time folks would be there. Again though I am hoping that this is just an issue with the ships docking at the Old San Juan pier.  I just have to hold out till Sunday to see if the Freedom leaves as it should. 

We are leaving on Freedom on the 4th of August. It will be interesting to see what occurs with arrival of the ship this Sunday in San Juan. 

If the "unrest" continues  is there an alternate port option for Royal or do we just get canceled?  Also, is the airport anywhere near theses protests and the responding police presence?  I do know that our hotel is in the Condado area. 

I have not traveled with my mom in decades. The last two times we were caught first in uprising on Cyprus and the next trip a little war in Egypt. This Puerto Rico protest will be a piece of cake for her- except now she is 89!

• Like 1

I also thinking the timing of the visits to OSJ by the Harmony and the Empress had something to do with this. As they would be there are at nighttime.  The Pan Am Pier, Airport and Condado area (which is where we are now going to stay) are on the other side of the bay of OSJ. The protests are centered in OSJ because of location of the governor.  I leave on the Freedom on the 28th. The rational side of me knows that it will all be fine. The irrational side likes to worry. 🙂

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pezgirlroy said:

I leave on the Freedom on the 28th. The rational side of me knows that it will all be fine. The irrational side likes to worry. 🙂

We are the July 28th as well. I feel the same way. Irrational worry 🙋‍♀️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mom*3 said:

We are the July 28th as well. I feel the same way. Irrational worry 🙋‍♀️

Well Mom*3, when we get on board (which we will) we should find each other and toast. 🙂 This is a kid free vacation for us and badly needed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We depart tomorrow to SJ, are staying at the AC Hotel and are planning to board Freedom this Sunday- the 21st.  I will post on what we find!  

Edited by KAA951
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KAA951 said:

We depart tomorrow to SJ, are staying at the AC Hotel and are planning to board Freedom this Sunday- the 21st.  I will post on what we find!  

Well this is us a week later so please let us know how everything goes. 🙂 I am sure everything will go perfectly. 

• Like 1

The best breakfast is at Cafe' Manolin on Calle San Justo, just a few blocks from the Sheraton OSJ. We eat there every chance we can. Even going there instead of eating on the ship. Will leave the issue of hurricane recovery alone. Got our eyes opened doing several B2B's out of Puerto Rico.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FOXTROT said:

The best breakfast is at Cafe' Manolin on Calle San Justo, just a few blocks from the Sheraton OSJ. We eat there every chance we can. Even going there instead of eating on the ship. Will leave the issue of hurricane recovery alone. Got our eyes opened doing several B2B's out of Puerto Rico.

We've been there for lunch too.  Lots of locals, excellent food.

We too leave on the Freedom on Sunday, July 28 and are flying in on Saturday, July 27 and staying in the heart of OSJ. We are looking forward to spending time seeing the sights, streets, food and the old forts of OSJ.

The last time we were in San Juan was in early October 2017 just after Hurricane Maria hit to board the Adventure of the Seas. Although our cruise sailed as scheduled, we could not visit OSJ because of the severe damage and lack of hotels, food, electricity, water & gas.

RCI actually allowed us to board the ship a day ahead of time because there were no hotels to stay in for arriving cruise guests. We said at that time, we would be back to visit OSJ in the near future when she was back up and running.

We fully expect these protests to have ended by the time we arrive, so we can finally visit OSJ! That's my story and (hope) and I'm sticking to it. Good luck to all cruisers who will be arriving in SJ this weekend and next weekend.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 8:16 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

i never claimed the governor was or was not corrupt (frankly I don’t care), but in the USA we have a due process system to handle

these things, we don’t take to the streets in a mob. 

I guess you forgot about Occupy Wall Street, The Boston Tea Party and many others during the coarse of history.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

You’re going to have to just monitor the situation on arrival. The Condado is touristy and you chose a nice hotel and worst case you just book Ubers to get around and mostly stay at your resort. No one is ever guaranteed total safety anywhere so you’ll have to gauge whether walking around old San Juan is sensible on that day. Any experienced traveler understands the world is a beautiful fascinating place but occasionally risky. Always proceed with sensible caution.

I have no interest in discussing the politics, which is also not a manifesto that politics are unimportant, just that they are not specifically relevant to the OP question.

Hope you’ll come back and report all went well.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 2

Im on Allure now and we are at San Juan. The ship was all talk last night. Most of the staff thought we would not port. But we are here.  Hubby and our boys are on the bus to the atv ride. My daughter and I were going to go explore San Juan on our own - she is too young for the atv. We most likely are just going to stay on the ship. 

• Like 4