Passport expiry date - NZ to Aust cruise

Hi all

We are cruising Ruby Princess Auckland to Sydney 30 Dec 2019 to 13 Jan 2020.

Princess Documents reads:

20. Visa’s Passports and Vaccinations

When booking a cruise visiting an international port, You are responsible to ensure You have all necessary visas, vaccinations and travel documents, including a passport that is valid for the minimum duration required based on the countries You are visiting. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of Your cruise return

Now Australian requirements are that our NZ passport does not have to have 6 months before expiry, but valid for the duration on our visit.   Our passports expire 20 Feb 2020.  I have been told by my niece who use to work for Dept of Internal Affairs that this is correct.   But I wonder if Princess will go with minimum of six months for the cruise??   Anyone with experience and advice?

You and your niece are correct - your passport is valid for travel to Australia until the day of its expiration. Aust does not require that you have 6 extra months of validity. But the question is whether the Princess check-in staff are aware of this. Maybe you should print out the information from the Australian Immigration Department website regarding this and have it with you as back-up.

It's been known for some travel providers to stick by their standard at check-in, regardless of the official requirements.

I'd contact Princess and get them to confirm as appropriate. They're best placed to assist and by getting it done in advance you can get confirmation/have it logged on your booking as appropriate to resolve the issue.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

It's been known for some travel providers to stick by their standard at check-in, regardless of the official requirements.

I'd contact Princess and get them to confirm as appropriate. They're best placed to assist and by getting it done in advance you can get confirmation/have it logged on your booking as appropriate to resolve the issue.

Agreed, you do not want to miss the ship because of a technicality with check in procedures.

• 2 weeks later...

Princess documents state they need you to have passports valid for 6 months beyond your return date. They have put that in writing as per your post. This is common to most if not all cruise lines. Renew your passport to avoid being denied boarding. It does happen.