Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any information other than the citizens were rioting, and police used tear gas?  Empress of the Seas, the only ship due to dock in San Juan today was turned back before she reached the island.  Other ships may be affected tomorrow, according to the news.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We missed the news this evening as we had just gotten water back and had a lot of clean up to do.

 

Hope others have information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Does anyone have any information other than the citizens were rioting, and police used tear gas?  Empress of the Seas, the only ship due to dock in San Juan today was turned back before she reached the island.  Other ships may be affected tomorrow, according to the news.  

Just checked Marine Traffic. Empress of the Seas is en route to Tortola doing 6.6 knots so today turned into a sea day for them.  Checking using Marine Traffic over the next few days will answer the question about other ships  going in there. Doesn't sound like this is a very good time to visit and under the current conditions till things settle down I doubt the cruise lines would run the risk and go somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The news reports I watched   all looked so violent  and made me so sad to see tear gas, rubber bullets.Thousands of protesters and utter chaos. I love San Juan, and have enjoyed many port stops there as well as a large number of resort stays.  Long before we started cruising,  we   went to San Juan many winters and loved  the  resorts there.     I so hope no one  is seriously hurt and damage to property is minimal.    the architecture of Old San Juan is most appealing to my taste.    I love some of  the restaurants, shops etc      Hopefully  quiet will return soon, the governor will step down and the ships can safely call  at SanJuan.They need the tourist money.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It  seems there is still not much calm in Old San Juan.

 

It has been reported   the Governor  is   t thought to be a not  so   great fellowwho is   refusing to resign.

 

  

 

 

 

Edited by sail7seas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the summer, some cruise lines home-port ships in San Juan, so they don;t have that 2 day cruise from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to reach the Caribbean.   What are these ships doing for their passengers ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

In the summer, some cruise lines home-port ships in San Juan, so they don;t have that 2 day cruise from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to reach the Caribbean.   What are these ships doing for their passengers ?  

It will be interesting to look at Freedom OTS and Carnival Fascination tomorrow.  I know most turnarounds happen on the other side of the harbor so they may be able to route people from the airport to the ship without getting into the protest areas.  Both ships are listed on AIS with destination San Juan.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they will go to BVI  or USVI  ?

 

 

 

One can just about swim between the two

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard a brief news report saying more cruise   ship port calls have been cancelled. So dissapointing. Id be very sad if I was on one of the ships that had to turn away.  there is  no choice,  they had to.  With those on-going protests, no ships could possibly stop in Old  San Juan. I hope there are no serious injuries and   is no extreme  property damage.  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I just heard a brief news report saying more cruise   ship port calls have been cancelled. So dissapointing. Id be very sad if I was on one of the ships that had to turn away.  there is  no choice,  they had to.  With those on-going protests, no ships could possibly stop in Old  San Juan. I hope there are no serious injuries and   is no extreme  property damage.  .

Carnival Fascination and Freedom OTS are both in San Juan TODAY.

 

 Roy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The protestors moved out of OLD  Sansa Juan and are on the major high way  that  goes   to Mall of  the  Americas and   I think is a continuation of the main road into OLD  San  Juan.    But not near Condado?
 

 

 

 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Update as of Sat 20 Jul 19:

 

Puerto Rico Officials Weigh Cruise Plans Amid Protests

 
July 20, 2019

Ships docked in San Juan

The Puerto Rico Tourism Company is juggling multiple scenarios to manage its cruise traffic in the near future as protests in San Juan have led to a handful of cancelled cruise calls in what is predicted to be a record cruise year for the island. 

According to a statement, Sunday’s homeporting operations for the Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Fascination will take place as planned, following a meeting with the Costanera Guard, the National Parks Service, the port authority, the Transportation and Public Services Bureau, the police, emergency management and the Department of Economic Development and Commerce (DDEC).

"(These calls) will generate an economic impact of $1.3 million. During the past two weeks we have remained attentive and in constant conversation with the cruise lines to coordinate the scheduled stops. Both the cruise lines and the Tourism Company seek to maintain as many stops as possible while at the same time ensuring the safety and experience of the visitor in the destination,” said Carla Campos, executive director, Puerto Rico Tourism Company.

Recent cancellations include the MSC Seaside and Celebrity Equinox which will not be calling on Monday, July 22, as previously scheduled.

Tourism officials said the lost economic impact would be $439,000 from the MSC Seaside call and $311,000 from the Celebrity Equinox.

Officials, however, noted that they offered multiple alternatives to cruise lines.

For example, the Pan-American Wharf was presented as another berth option, with a depth of 32 feet. Officials, said, however, that some ships require 34 feet of water depth making the Wharf unviable.

Ponce has also been floated as an alternative port, and has previously hosted cruise ships. Tourism officials said that due to the location of Ponce, ships would arrive in the evening and would only be able to stay a few hours.

“Most of the cruise ships that arrive at the port of San Juan leave from Miami where they board their passengers, and then arrive on the island (Puerto Rico) in the afternoon of their third day of sailing. To deviate to Ponce would imply that they would arrive at night (between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm) and would have to set sail at dawn (between 1:00 am and 2:00 am) to arrive at their next destination the following morning. Therefore, this has not been a feasible alternative for three of the four ships that have canceled their stops,” officials said.

In addition, Ponce has an ongoing cargo business, and has a cement-carrying vessel in port for the next week.

Edited by Copper10-8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it on TV the other night, didn't look pretty, I also enjoyed our stops there. Hope they get it sorted out soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the news last evening, the number of people rioting seems to be growing.  Sadly In Pittsburgh last evening we had a group of people protesting at the Clemente Bridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 10:22 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Watching the news last evening, the number of people rioting seems to be growing.  Sadly In Pittsburgh last evening we had a group of people protesting at the Clemente Bridge.

 

 

Was  there some connection between San Juan and t he Clemente Bridge?    I am unsure if  that is what your message implies? 

 

 

 

T I A

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

 

 

Was  there some connection between San Juan and t he Clemente Bridge?    I am unsure if  that is what your message implies? 

 

 

 

T I A

 

 

 

 

Roberto Clemete was an extraordinary Major League Baseball Player for the Pittsburgh Pirates.  He was from Puerto Rico.   He died in 1972 in a plane crash while taking humanitarian supplies to Nicaragua.  He is still loved in Pittsburgh - and had one of the bridges named in his honor.  Those massing at the Clemente bridge are probably joining in solidarity with those in Puerto Rico pushing for the ouster of the Governor.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are rumours that the governor may resign - hasn’t happened and, if he doesn’t, impeachment proceedings may well begin.

 

Either way, that should ease the tensions and hopefully the protests in Puerto Rico (at the risk of sounding political, you can’t blame them 😉 ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, slidergirl said:

Roberto Clemete was an extraordinary Major League Baseball Player for the Pittsburgh Pirates.  He was from Puerto Rico.   He died in 1972 in a plane crash while taking humanitarian supplies to Nicaragua.  He is still loved in Pittsburgh - and had one of the bridges named in his honor.  Those massing at the Clemente bridge are probably joining in solidarity with those in Puerto Rico pushing for the ouster of the Governor.

ThANK  you for explaining,   Kk's post left me scratching my head.  Being a loyal Boston  Red Sox fan I have no clue about  the 'goings on'  in    Pittsburgh .    You  explanation is excellent and I now 

get it'.

 

Glad I asked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On 7/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, slidergirl said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...