Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Looking at an African safari with a 4 night river cruise with AMA. Hoping someone has info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for the info. Loved their blog. Not sure about the cockroaches. It sure sounded like a great trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, vino100 said:

Thank you so much for the info. Loved their blog. Not sure about the cockroaches. It sure sounded like a great trip. 

 

Thanks.  It was great.  Just avoid cabin 23.  No one else noticed them.  And do the "Walk with the Lions" – highlight of a trip full of highlights!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you set on AMA ? I’ve thought about doing a safari with them but the price they charge is outrages . Plenty of other safaris out there that give you more bang for your buck . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dolllover said:

Are you set on AMA ? I’ve thought about doing a safari with them but the price they charge is outrages . Plenty of other safaris out there that give you more bang for your buck . 

 

AMA's Africa itineraries include a 4-night river cruise safari, which can be booked without the land safari extensions [that's what we did].  The other river boats we saw on the Chobe were not nearly as nice as the Zambezi Queen that we were on.  If you want to have the safari experience but don't want to subject your body to hours bouncing over dusty roads, the AMA salaries are the way to go! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dolllover said:

Are you set on AMA ? I’ve thought about doing a safari with them but the price they charge is outrages . Plenty of other safaris out there that give you more bang for your buck . 

No I'm not set on AMA. This trip will be for next year and I'm just getting started researching. I'm open for all suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

AMA's Africa itineraries include a 4-night river cruise safari, which can be booked without the land safari extensions [that's what we did].  The other river boats we saw on the Chobe were not nearly as nice as the Zambezi Queen that we were on.  If you want to have the safari experience but don't want to subject your body to hours bouncing over dusty roads, the AMA salaries are the way to go! 

We do want to do a land safari too. I just love the idea of floating down a river and seeing all the animals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gate 1 has a deluxe safari for 13 days  that includes land and river and flights for around 9000 . It’s two days on the river with the rest land . I’ve been researching as well . Africa is on my bucket list .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We leave  August 28, 2019, to join AMA waterways “golden trails of East Africa“ with the Rwanda add on for trekking with the silverback mountain gorillas.   I have personally spoken with the AMA Africa specialist who assures me that the cockroach issue was immediately taken care of and has not been an issue since.  We have cruised almost 60 times on oceans, and we have been to almost 150 countries this will be only our second river cruise,  both with AMA. We have sailed the ocean with 6-7 different cruise lines, but our cruise line of choice is Oceania. You can always find something less expensive....A cheaper ocean cruise line, a cheaper river cruise line ... you can always find a less expensive anything. I believe you will find you pretty much get what you pay for. We are certainly not wealthy by any means and we do not throw our money away carelessly, but this AMA trip has exactly what we want.  The food is not important to us, the size of the cabin is not important to us, fancy is not important to us,… What is important is seeing as many animals as possible in their native habitat.   So do your research, and choose....that’s why there are so many opportunities… To meet everyone’s needs.   I promised to submit a reView when we return the end of September.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BabySis said:

 We leave  August 28, 2019, to join AMA waterways “golden trails of East Africa“ with the Rwanda add on for trekking with the silverback mountain gorillas.   I have personally spoken with the AMA Africa specialist who assures me that the cockroach issue was immediately taken care of and has not been an issue since.  We have cruised almost 60 times on oceans, and we have been to almost 150 countries this will be only our second river cruise,  both with AMA. We have sailed the ocean with 6-7 different cruise lines, but our cruise line of choice is Oceania. You can always find something less expensive....A cheaper ocean cruise line, a cheaper river cruise line ... you can always find a less expensive anything. I believe you will find you pretty much get what you pay for. We are certainly not wealthy by any means and we do not throw our money away carelessly, but this AMA trip has exactly what we want.  The food is not important to us, the size of the cabin is not important to us, fancy is not important to us,… What is important is seeing as many animals as possible in their native habitat.   So do your research, and choose....that’s why there are so many opportunities… To meet everyone’s needs.   I promised to submit a reView when we return the end of September.  

 

This is the exact trip we are looking at. Can hardly wait for your review. Enjoy all those wonderful animals and African experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did this trip with AMA and loved it. On the Zambezi Queen you take smaller boats on the river to spot the animals. The actual “cruising on the Chobe is from anchor point to anchor point,there are only two. One day we all took the land Safari and saw many animals. The hotels we stayed at were the Best we’ve ever been in, fabulous trip.

1935CE9A-B418-4B44-9DAD-0CB367D534AC.jpeg

7CA1C888-33A8-4F54-9D97-941D8FAD8393.jpeg

4CF55158-7216-4045-A08E-CAAAA88B6B91.jpeg

96432533-A837-4555-B91F-BA775A74C2AC.jpeg

EDCE6422-9B34-416B-9005-D6B840555802.jpeg

FC2871C9-FAD7-47FD-B673-436E7FD2A198.jpeg

2395E350-26B6-49E2-88CD-9724F9F2789B.jpeg

DE3574F7-5C8A-4BFF-B2AB-8233E5D805D8.jpeg

D127BCCA-2B9F-44F6-ADC5-9FDE9760BC13.jpeg

2E231754-DE05-40AF-94A8-EA92DC434743.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BitburgBoy!!!!  LEOPARD!!!!   Oh, my word, where did you see the leopard? That is totally on our bucket list at the very top!  Do you have any special hints for us? Did you do the Victoria Falls portion of the trip?   My biggest problem is packing for three weeks in a 33 pound soft side suitcase. Because were doing the Rwanda extension, we are limited to 33 pounds Of checked luggage.

 

Where are you in Michigan? Our number three son lives in Hudsonville, between Grand Rapids and Holland.

 

Vino100....AMA Waterways website is amazing and our awesome travel agent has arranged for us to speak with the AMA Africa specialist.    Trekking with the Gorillas is exciting and a little....Intimidating.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BitburgBoy said:

We did this trip with AMA and loved it. On the Zambezi Queen you take smaller boats on the river to spot the animals. The actual “cruising on the Chobe is from anchor point to anchor point,there are only two. One day we all took the land Safari and saw many animals. The hotels we stayed at were the Best we’ve ever been in, fabulous trip.

1935CE9A-B418-4B44-9DAD-0CB367D534AC.jpeg

7CA1C888-33A8-4F54-9D97-941D8FAD8393.jpeg

4CF55158-7216-4045-A08E-CAAAA88B6B91.jpeg

96432533-A837-4555-B91F-BA775A74C2AC.jpeg

EDCE6422-9B34-416B-9005-D6B840555802.jpeg

FC2871C9-FAD7-47FD-B673-436E7FD2A198.jpeg

2395E350-26B6-49E2-88CD-9724F9F2789B.jpeg

DE3574F7-5C8A-4BFF-B2AB-8233E5D805D8.jpeg

D127BCCA-2B9F-44F6-ADC5-9FDE9760BC13.jpeg

2E231754-DE05-40AF-94A8-EA92DC434743.jpeg

 

Oh my goodness !! Spectacular pictures. Thanks for sharing your insights on your trip. I can hardly wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BabySis said:

BitburgBoy!!!!  LEOPARD!!!!   Oh, my word, where did you see the leopard? That is totally on our bucket list at the very top!  Do you have any special hints for us? Did you do the Victoria Falls portion of the trip?   My biggest problem is packing for three weeks in a 33 pound soft side suitcase. Because were doing the Rwanda extension, we are limited to 33 pounds Of checked luggage.

 

Where are you in Michigan? Our number three son lives in Hudsonville, between Grand Rapids and Holland.

 

Vino100....AMA Waterways website is amazing and our awesome travel agent has arranged for us to speak with the AMA Africa specialist.    Trekking with the Gorillas is exciting and a little....Intimidating.   

 

The website is fabulous. I just ordered the book host Jazzbeau recommended. I love planning trips, but with so many choices this isn't easy, but oh so fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, vino100 said:

 

The website is fabulous. I just ordered the book host Jazzbeau recommended. I love planning trips, but with so many choices this isn't easy, but oh so fun. 

 

The trick is to take trips as often as you can while you still can.  If DW's and my health hold out another 5 years, we MAY work through the 'bucket list.'  OTOH, I keep adding to the list – so I eat lots of kale and hope that lets me live forever!  :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One nice surprise about the AMA cruise-safari on Zambezi Queen:  every afternoon as the sun began to go down, the small boat driver opened up a cooler and said "Who wants a G&T?"  What a lovely way to end the cruise – and the beginning of my interest in G&Ts!  [Ironic reflection on post above:  this may not help me live forever, but it does make the current living much more enjoyable!]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vino100, yes we did Victoria Falls. While there beside the river walk ,we did the helicopter tour and it is fantastic! Great photos. Saw the leopards while at Tinswalo Lodge along with cheetahs, warthogs,rhinos, lions tons of elephants and giraffes. We did not do the side trip you mentioned due to the weight restrictions, probably should have done it.We have a Son in Kentwood’mi and we live near AnnArbor. Happy Trails, We loved AMA and the entire African experience.

0EBBAB2C-CE2E-476D-A7B1-E30049594F0D.jpeg

BA517B83-757E-49DD-985F-E7BB8E844471.jpeg

A2CE2D1A-6BE9-448E-9435-4AEE179422EE.jpeg

6384DE40-DA30-45CB-B7D5-13AAB7C89336.jpeg

CD9BD511-F878-4CBA-9F70-394E85F334C2.jpeg

10295010-B3C8-4937-85E4-A65410332908.jpeg

9343345C-B4D4-4E0B-89E8-61DA166C6DF0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BitburgBoy....Tintswalo Is not on our itinerary. I would love to see those big cats. Can you tell me what side trip it was that has a weight restriction. We are not exactly tiny people. Just a month away and we are still getting so excited.   Thank you so much for sharing the photos… I absolutely love the one of the two elephants “kissing“..  Dinah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never dreamed I could pack in a duffel with that weight restriction but I DID! Obviously I did sink laundry tho the lodges had a fast turnaround doing laundry. I did get tired of the same clothes especially as they had to be in “safari” colors which are NOT my favorites!  I admit my “personal item” was pretty heavy but it wasn’t weighed and it squashed under seats etc. Ziplock bags to the rescue!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safari colors are light earthtones (e.g. light khaki).  They feel cooler in the sun, and don't attract bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Safari colors are light earthtones (e.g. light khaki).  They feel cooler in the sun, and don't attract bugs.

 

Thanks. I guess I need to go shopping. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They ask that you wear neutral colors, and no “camo” as it’s illegal in game parks/reserves. You shouldn’t wear bright colors or white because they can startle the animals. Black, navy and other dark colors may attract bugs. I had Columbia shirts in gray, beige, light green, light blue, a teal.... and a lavender one to lift my spirits as I don’t like neutral colors!! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...