Cruise Critic Community

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

Door decorating in advance of the dreaded 'Howdy Doody' corridor party!

Hope to meet you onboard.

Howdy Doody party? Wait I missed out. Bummer . We will be up in the spa suites - want be much of a howdy doody party with only 4 suites. I respectfully request we crash the party on a different deck. 

Or wait - why doesn't everyone come up to our deck? Might be tight but we have an extended balcony.

Might get some help with decorating the Xmas tree as Hubby suddenly finds something else to do at that point - lol!

This party will definitely be the highlight of your cruise! No kidding. That's why the Howdy Doody git to know yer neyber party is called a Seabourn SIgnature Event, ok?

4 spa suites? What kinda party is that? Noooo, for the real thing- as opposed to everywhere else: If you want to rally in the excitement of Howdy Doody right, then head on down to deck 7. You'll meet the best folks on our big deck! You betcha our live wire CD will be dragging the captain about with the HD in tow. What a hoot! And don't confuse their red faces with embarrassment and overheating. NO, it's all joy, joy, joy.

If you're in curlers and face cream, what the heck. Be yourself. It's 2019. We love you for you. I will be serving up my 3 bean casserole and have a reserve casserole ready to go. Oh, and I will be wearing a big red and yellow rosette that says "I'm Mel and I like CATS" so you won't miss me with all the hubbub.

Happy and healthy sailing!

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

I can’t wait to see you in curlers and face cream Markham.

Are you also onboard with us Mr L? If so, I don't think we can let poor Markham be the only one in curlers and face cream. I will if you will.

29 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Are you also onboard with us Mr L? If so, I don't think we can let poor Markham be the only one in curlers and face cream. I will if you will.

Not sure at this stage,I didn’t know it was billed as a cross dressing cruise.

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

We could undoubtedly give Roy Barraclough and Les Dawson a run for their money.

Posted (edited)

Mr Luxury,

You’re worried about how the party is billed? Is that your hangup? This is a Howdy Doody get to know yer neyber party and an officially sanctioned Signature Event, for goodness sake. And for those who are new to the zany antics of CDs, you can expect the CD to roust you folks outta your suites with a very official and loud in suite tannoy announcement, like it or not, on the day at 18:00. So no napping and absolutely no excuses for no-shows, OK? OK!

As for you, matey, don’t pretend you don’t luxuriate from time to time with a dab of face moisturiser after bath time. Further, it’s 2019 and we will all be bringing in the third decade of this millenium together on this cruise. You know you want to! Plus we do go way back, don’t we, so I don’t mind egging you on a bit. I’ll leave it at that. Just.

Curlers and face cream- or whatever you are up to at that hour. If not for your own enjoyment you must do it for our especially eager CD and the entire team. Be there or be square!

Edited by markham

Since I do not go on vacation to do laundry a lesser laundry experience is not a deficit imo.

We love the Spa Suites on the Sojourn.   Be aware there is no elevator access, but a curved set of stairs.    They do have a chair lift, but unfortunately this takes away one of the railings that we could use for support using the stairs.   We had one person in a wheelchair in a Spa Suite.   She didn’t start the cruise that one but had an accident while on the cruise.   When the chair lift is in use you will not be able to descend or ascend the stairs.   We really enjoyed the quiet area in the spa with the heated lounges.   If it is cold or rainy outside it is a great area to relax.    We also enjoy it when it is too warm outside. The spa personnel can turn the heat off in the chairs.

16 hours ago, markham said:

This party will definitely be the highlight of your cruise! No kidding. That's why the Howdy Doody git to know yer neyber party is called a Seabourn SIgnature Event, ok?

4 spa suites? What kinda party is that? Noooo, for the real thing- as opposed to everywhere else: If you want to rally in the excitement of Howdy Doody right, then head on down to deck 7. You'll meet the best folks on our big deck! You betcha our live wire CD will be dragging the captain about with the HD in tow. What a hoot! And don't confuse their red faces with embarrassment and overheating. NO, it's all joy, joy, joy.

If you're in curlers and face cream, what the heck. Be yourself. It's 2019. We love you for you. I will be serving up my 3 bean casserole and have a reserve casserole ready to go. Oh, and I will be wearing a big red and yellow rosette that says "I'm Mel and I like CATS" so you won't miss me with all the hubbub.

Oh believe me I will be down on Deck 7 spreading some Xmas cheer and maybe distributing some gifts !

in 2017 at Xmas, our hosted table decided that we would do secret Santa. $10 limit. We would exchange the gifts on NYE as we all requested we be at the same table again. It was so funny - you can imagine the absolute tat we purchased with our $10. Anyway come NYE we all exchanged gifts - One lady nearly passed out as she opened hers to be greeted with a Cartier box! Inside was the cheapest tackiest shell necklace - its was hilarious, we were all in our finery and looking so proper and we were opening these tacky gifts. 

I laugh every time I think about it - what a fabulous night! The howdy Doody seems like it should be top of my social colander. Time to start planning I think.

11 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Well at this point I think anything goes - we have had cheap jewelry, face cream and curlers and the six ft tree. Possibly time to make sure this sail goes down with the best Howdy Doody ever. 

I’m only coming if they play “I will survive” whilst the CD drags the Captain and others with lots of stripes dancing along on deck seven.

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2019 at 5:43 PM, markham said:

Mr Luxury,

You’re worried about how the party is billed? Is that your hangup? This is a Howdy Doody get to know yer neyber party and an officially sanctioned Signature Event, for goodness sake. And for those who are new to the zany antics of CDs, you can expect the CD to roust you folks outta your suites with a very official and loud in suite tannoy announcement, like it or not, on the day at 18:00. So no napping and absolutely no excuses for no-shows, OK? OK!

As for you, matey, don’t pretend you don’t luxuriate from time to time with a dab of face moisturiser after bath time. Further, it’s 2019 and we will all be bringing in the third decade of this millenium together on this cruise. You know you want to! Plus we do go way back, don’t we, so I don’t mind egging you on a bit. I’ll leave it at that. Just.

Curlers and face cream- or whatever you are up to at that hour. If not for your own enjoyment you must do it for our especially eager CD and the entire team. Be there or be square!

Markham,

How do you think I look this good without Botox or fillers.

Tom Ford of course 🤠

Edited by Mr Luxury

We are on the Sojourn holiday cruise, and for those who have been here before, I wonder if you can answer questions about two of our port stops.

Our first day after departing San Juan we are in Gustavia, St. Barts, from 8 am- 11 pm, and there are no excursions available. It is a Sunday; does that mean everything in town is shut down? It just seemed odd to me not to have anything at all on the schedule -- not even a beach trip. (Is there a private beach Seabourn goes to here?) 

Later in the trip, on New Years Day, we're in West End, Cayman Brac, and again there are no excursions available. so again, is everything closed for New Years Day? I know it's not a large developed island like Grand Cayman, but it seems odd to do a port call here if there's no much to do. I should note that this is part of the re-worked itinerary after the planned visit to Cuba was canceled -- so did they just throw this on the itinerary to avoid making it look like too many sea days?

No worries.....in town and harbor, St. Barts will be crowded.  But nothing like it will be a week later.

Not a clue about the second question and does it really matter?   Looks like a beach/dive day. 

St Barts will be busy and it’s good for shopping or take a trip to the Eden Roc Hotel.

New years day is always a quiet visit to a port as most people will be a little jaded after the celebrations.

On a lot of Christmas cruises,Christmas day and New Year’s Day are often sea days and I think that works better than being in port.

I do understand why New Years Day would be a sea day… but on this cruise it is not. That's why I was asking about the Cayman Brac port call. The following day, January 2, is a sea day, as is December 30. In that this is a small island with no large resorts for a cruise ship's passengers to use the beach, very few restaurants, and not much of a town at all, I was just wondering what Seabourn does with a port call there in general, and especially on New Years Day when I imagine the few commercial establishments would be closed. It seems the primary attraction to see on the island is the bluff, but it's at the opposite end of the 12 mile-long island from the town of West End, and thus inaccessible without transportation. I don't get the impression the island is set up with any infrastructure or tour companies for cruise ship visits. (Some comments on a Cayman forum I found where residents were discussing the potential of a cruise ship pier which the government is considering included comments like "if a cruise line dropped me on the brac …..i would never use them again…"  and "If they land at the Creek Dock they can visit the bakery, thrift store and restaurant, turn around and go back to the dock.") So that's why I'm wondering if this is a port call in name only, where nearly everyone will remain on the ship as if it's a sea day? Is Seabourn just not wanting to show an itinerary where three days out of four are sea days? Or is there perhaps a great beach the tenders will take people to?

Why does it matter @samanina? Aside from being curious about what to look forward to throughout our trip, we're trying to figure out and balance excursions and activities throughout the trip. If there was great beach we could go to on Cayman Brac, for instance, we might plan something other than a beach day on one of the other stops on our itinerary. 

As for St Barts, thanks for the reassurance that there will be things to see just wandering on our own. It just seemed odd that on a reasonably renowned island, Seabourn has no excursions.

4 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I do understand why New Years Day would be a sea day… but on this cruise it is not. That's why I was asking about the Cayman Brac port call. The following day, January 2, is a sea day, as is December 30. In that this is a small island with no large resorts for a cruise ship's passengers to use the beach, very few restaurants, and not much of a town at all, I was just wondering what Seabourn does with a port call there in general, and especially on New Years Day when I imagine the few commercial establishments would be closed. It seems the primary attraction to see on the island is the bluff, but it's at the opposite end of the 12 mile-long island from the town of West End, and thus inaccessible without transportation. I don't get the impression the island is set up with any infrastructure or tour companies for cruise ship visits. (Some comments on a Cayman forum I found where residents were discussing the potential of a cruise ship pier which the government is considering included comments like "if a cruise line dropped me on the brac …..i would never use them again…"  and "If they land at the Creek Dock they can visit the bakery, thrift store and restaurant, turn around and go back to the dock.") So that's why I'm wondering if this is a port call in name only, where nearly everyone will remain on the ship as if it's a sea day? Is Seabourn just not wanting to show an itinerary where three days out of four are sea days? Or is there perhaps a great beach the tenders will take people to?

Why does it matter @samanina? Aside from being curious about what to look forward to throughout our trip, we're trying to figure out and balance excursions and activities throughout the trip. If there was great beach we could go to on Cayman Brac, for instance, we might plan something other than a beach day on one of the other stops on our itinerary. 

As for St Barts, thanks for the reassurance that there will be things to see just wandering on our own. It just seemed odd that on a reasonably renowned island, Seabourn has no excursions.

I think that it's a possibility that a couple of excursions will be added for St Barts. We did an island tour (basic but a good introduction) the first time we visited with SB, I would be surprised if nothing at all is offered. Perhaps they're getting round to adding some, given that the itinerary was 'knocked together' at shorter notice. If not, as Mr Luxury said it will be busy enough.

Cayman Brac - no idea. I don't recall seeing it on SB itineraries in the 7 years I've been cruising with SB. 

We're on this  cruise too - hope to see you on board! 

Most flights from Miami to San Juan in December have just been changed to the 737Max8!

3 hours ago, gtscot said:

Most flights from Miami to San Juan in December have just been changed to the 737Max8!

The 737 Max 8 has not yet passed its re-certification, and when that will happen remains uncertain. The Wall Street Journal reported last week that certification was facing a few additional weeks of delay because international regulators wanted Boeing to resubmit some updated documents. It is still possible these planes could be in the air by December but there's no certainty about that. Another big unanswered question is whether the FAA will mandate pilots go through simulator training before being allowed to fly the planes; that would result in a slower resumption of service than if they allow pilots to complete online training.

American Airlines, probably the leading airline flying Miami -San Juan, has only removed 737 Max planes from its schedule through December 3, so you can definitely see 737 Max 8 flights when searching American for flights later than December 3. American has been pushing back its schedule a month at a time, 2 months in advance. So on September 3, American removed 737 Max flights from November 3-December 3. American, which has 24 737 Max planes currently (and several more new ones sitting on a runway somewhere waiting to go into service) accounting for 140 flights per day, so each month American wipes the 737 Macs off the schedule results in 4,200 flight cancellations. They'd clearly love to have those planes available for the busy holiday season. United has purged 737 Max flights from its schedule until December 19;  Southwest has removed them until early January.

I just noticed that the Sojourn will commence the 2020 World Cruise on January 4 when we disembark in Miami. For those who have been on any Seabourn cruise immediately preceding a world cruise, I'd be interested in hearing of any differences in services we might experience. I seem to recall reading some posts in years past about prep work being done around the ship, new furniture being staged, etc.

Since the cruise we're on is the holiday cruise that includes Christmas and New Years, I'm not assuming the crew will be solely focused on the cruise after ours, and that the cupboards won't be bare. But I'm wondering if a lot of regular crew members take off in December for the holidays and so they can then be onboard for the upcoming 10 weeks of the world tour, or if there is likely to be extra maintenance going on, or any other departures from usual because the world cruisers are about to come on board?

36 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I just noticed that the Sojourn will commence the 2020 World Cruise on January 4 when we disembark in Miami. For those who have been on any Seabourn cruise immediately preceding a world cruise, I'd be interested in hearing of any differences in services we might experience. I seem to recall reading some posts in years past about prep work being done around the ship, new furniture being staged, etc.

Since the cruise we're on is the holiday cruise that includes Christmas and New Years, I'm not assuming the crew will be solely focused on the cruise after ours, and that the cupboards won't be bare. But I'm wondering if a lot of regular crew members take off in December for the holidays and so they can then be onboard for the upcoming 10 weeks of the world tour, or if there is likely to be extra maintenance going on, or any other departures from usual because the world cruisers are about to come on board?

I've been in this situation twice before as we frequently take a holiday cruise with Seabourn. I've never noticed anything different on the ship immediately prior it sailing the world cruise.  I'll be interested to hear from others about this subject.