Cruise Critic Community
twodaywonder

Freeport Cruise ship port. What to do there?

I posted this elsewhere for the BPCL cruisers.I am trying to find out the hours it is open and post that information when I find out.

So if you do not want to leave the port, here is what they have right there by the ship.

CRUISE PORT FACILITIES

• Accommodates vessels up to 1,000 feet in length
  • 3 Ship Berths
  • Retail Complex
    • Native Rum
    • Unique Souvenirs
    • Bahamian straw work
    • Captain's Galley
  • Can accommodate up to 1,000,000 passengers annually
  • Carnival Cruise lines
    1. Norwegian Cruise lines
    2. Bahamas Celebration
  • Live Entertainment
    • Limbo Dancing
    • Fire Dancing
    • Junkanoo Rush-out
    • Live Band

Efficient ground transportation

• Coaches
    1. Taxi cabs
    2. Car rentals
    3. Handicap Pick-up
  • Sheltered pick up/drop off area
  • ATM
  • Tourist Information Booth

Freeport+Harbour+Company.jpg

Freeport picture.jpg

In our upcoming cruise in October all we are going to do is just go to their free public beach (Shuttles cost $10 round trip from what I have researched). Might do a little shopping before we board the ship when we done. 

It's been a few years, but last time we did walk in day pass at Grand Lucayan. It's was pretty inexpensive. Beautiful pool complex. Small but clean beach. Of course, it may have changed since then due to reported heavy storm damage couple years ago.

1 hour ago, ober134 said:

It's been a few years, but last time we did walk in day pass at Grand Lucayan. It's was pretty inexpensive. Beautiful pool complex. Small but clean beach. Of course, it may have changed since then due to reported heavy storm damage couple years ago.

That's what a lot of people on my ship last year did. I did the brewery tour.

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

That's what a lot of people on my ship last year did. I did the brewery tour.

Which brewery? Can you tell me more about it?

The best thing to do in Freeport is stay on the ship.  No lines for food; no kids on the water slides; available loungers on the Serenity Deck, etc.  BEST DAY!

Definitley dont stay on the ship! go to the taxi stand and take a taxi bus to Taino Beach. The price to get there is predetermined at the cab stand. Its a beach club that only costs $5 to get in per person, and includes free non motorized watersports such as kayaks, paddleboards, and a water jungle gym for kids. Beautiful water and a free dolphin show every week. Chairs and umbrellas available, as well as snorkeling, jet skiing, ziplining, lockers, and plenty of food. 

Hate when people tell people to stay on the ship. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean they won’t. 

Don't Hate

It's a valid opinion.  I am bald and was ask many times if I want my hair braided trying to clear the port 'market' area....

1 minute ago, 5000 said:

Don't Hate

It's a valid opinion.  I am bald and was ask many times if I want my hair braided trying to clear the port 'market' area....

Really. I don’t think I  had anyone say anything to me there.

Yup    True,  but haven't been there in three years.  Maybe it got better.  I'll check it out next time I go !

Thanks

I've been there once. Next time I'm staying on the ship. I try not to book a cruise that goes there.

I've never stayed on a ship...I will if there is a next time in Freeport. 

although one of my employees really liked the brewery and she doesnt drink!

Wife and I go fishing. Love fishing in the Bahamas and it really changed our view about the Freeport stop

I second the Bahamian Brewery!  We did an excursion that had it and a couple other places and it was definitely a highlight of our cruise (we love beer though).  I was a bit skeptical of their infamous Pink Sands beer since I'm usually a fan of brown ales and porters but it was SO good!  Truly the perfect beer for lounging on the beach all day.  I highly recommend checking it out, either on a tour of by taxi! 

It's been years since we were in Freeport.  It has been our least favorite port.  However,  if we ever make it back, we'll definitely check out the brewery.  Thanks for the heads up.

Been there twice on the Pride.  It's the last stop and a very short stop.  By the time the kids wake up around 9 and eat breakfast, its 10am and the back on board time is 1pm.  Just enough time to go buy some souvenirs, knockoff designer bags, and drink some Bahamian beer from the port liquor store.  There's plenty to enjoy in 3 hours just walking around this port.

12 hours ago, 5000 said:

Don't Hate

Really now?  I often hold out a strand of hair off my thinning (ok, balding) head and ask the braiders what they can do for me.  We share a good hearty laugh together.

For those who dislike Freeport, doesn't Carnival have plans to build another of their cookie cutter pool and shopping enclosures like Amber Cove there?

15 minutes ago, evandbob said:

For those who dislike Freeport, doesn't Carnival have plans to build another of their cookie cutter pool and shopping enclosures like Amber Cove there?

That's what I've heard.  People like not having to book excursions.  It's nice to just step off the ship and not scramble for a taxi to go somewhere.   Of course you are still free to go outside the compound to free style it or book an excursion.  Win, win.

I have the hours but waiting on more info.

Restaurants 7 am - 5 pm, Vendors and stores and straw market. 7-8 am close 4-5 pm