Missing the Mister Drill

moneeman

So I searched for this information, and amazingly it only gave me three irrelevant posts.  We will be boarding Millenium in Seward on July 26.  We talked about boarding the ship, eating lunch, then venturing back out to see the aquarium since departure isn’t until 8:00.  I presume that wouldn’t typically be a problem, but I just looked at the Celebrity app and it shows the muster drill at 4:15.  What happens if we are not on ship at that time?  I know this is supposed to be a required activity.  Must we cut activities short to be back by that time?  

11 minutes ago, moneeman said:

So I searched for this information, and amazingly it only gave me three irrelevant posts.  We will be boarding Millenium in Seward on July 26.  We talked about boarding the ship, eating lunch, then venturing back out to see the aquarium since departure isn’t until 8:00.  I presume that wouldn’t typically be a problem, but I just looked at the Celebrity app and it shows the muster drill at 4:15.  What happens if we are not on ship at that time?  I know this is supposed to be a required activity.  Must we cut activities short to be back by that time?  

You will be required to do the muster drill at a later time with others that miss the initial muster drill. You can't escape it. 😉

• Thanks 1

They normally schedule a make up drill for those who miss. That's why they check cabin numbers at the drill.

That being said I missed the Muster Drill on the second half of a B2B to Hawaii and there was never a make up drill for me or anyone else as far as I know. On another  B2B cruise I was on a tour that returned after the scheduled drill and I was required to go to a makeup drill. my point is that you just don't know. If I were in your position I would miss the scheduled Muster Drill and do what they tell you to do in terms of a make up drill.

If you miss the muster drill you will be rounded out of your cabin and forced to do it privately -as well as potentially delaying departure for the entire ship.  To make life easier they do usually schedule the drill for after the all aboard time anyway so, since you are on board anyway, you might as well comply. Since Costia Concordia who delayed their drill (at the time you had 48 hours to complete it - you don't now..) Maritime law is very tight. 

You may not want to do it, you might think you have sat through it so many times you know what to do.  But the ship has a legal requirement to ensure you do it.

No - Missing is not cool....

• Like 1

I am sure this is similar to the muster drill on the Summit out of San Juan. We have done this four times. The first three times muster drill was around 7:15 pm for an 8 pm departure. That always interfered with dinner. Last year they had one at 4:45 pm

but would have a second one for individuals that missed it later. Really was must better and look forward to that format again this year. 

For those who think of the muster drill as being inconvenient and intentionally miss it, please understand that the rest of us who are compliant and understand how important the drill is, will have to wait while the staff tries to locate all of you who can't be inconvenienced. We've had to wait as much as forty-five minutes while some folks play games with the staff.

It's serious information and hopefully none of us will need it. But, if you do.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orator said:

They normally schedule a make up drill for those who miss. That's why they check cabin numbers at the drill.

That being said I missed the Muster Drill on the second half of a B2B to Hawaii and there was never a make up drill for me or anyone else as far as I know. On another  B2B cruise I was on a tour that returned after the scheduled drill and I was required to go to a makeup drill. my point is that you just don't know. If I were in your position I would miss the scheduled Muster Drill and do what they tell you to do in terms of a make up drill.

Attached are the letters we got for our 4/30/19 B3B turnaround day in Honolulu.

The first was handed out at the B2B passenger meeting. We returned to the ship in time to make the 5 pm muster drill, but they still handed us the second sheet about attending a make-up drill. We intentionally returned in time for the regular drill so that we would not need to interrupt our Tuscan Grille sail-away dinner for the make-up.

Jane

[Oops....sorry that the letters posted in reverse order.]

AFC29B2D-F6AA-4BE3-8855-B7E11BEB22D0.jpeg

40C8CF4D-E925-4750-ABAD-5E6C2A4659BE.jpeg

On one of the Celebrity cruise we were on a man did not show up for muster and ignored being paged . When they did find him he refused to attend saying he was B2B and already did it . He was actually removed form the ship!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

On one of the Celebrity cruise we were on a man did not show up for muster and ignored being paged . When they did find him he refused to attend saying he was B2B and already did it . He was actually removed form the ship!

That's hard to believe for missing the drill unless he broke a few more rules..

It's like all the people who are non-English speaking who did not understand a word and are told in many different languages, turn on your tv.  Safety drill on Celebrity ships is a farce as long as they downgrade the experience to a video of a woman chasing a villain... Get serious.. show a video of a ship in distress and people panicking.. that will wake up all the passengers still on their cell phones while sipping a forbidden beverage.  Ship happens and people should know how important a drill is.

• Like 1

We are currently on Millennium and departed Seward on the 12th.  Muster Drill was at 7:30pm.  You had to be "all aboard" by then.  We were underway on time at 8:00pm.

We were on the B2B, so not sure when the cutoff time was for checking in.  🍷

4 hours ago, Orator said:

We also missed it on that Hawaii cruise and never were asked to do it on the second B2B

Edited by A Sixth?

We've sailed out of Seward twice. The first time we were on a Celebrity Cruise tour and the bus did not even get to the port until 5:00. I don't remember what time the muster drill was but you should be fine with your planned schedule, just double check when you check in to verify the all aboard time and time of the muster drill. Your other choice would be to have the hotel take your luggage to the port, go the sea aquarium and then check in and board the ship.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

For missing a muster drill.... not a chance.

If the person was sent off the ship it wasn't for just missing the drill.

BTW, for the last few cruises they were using electronic attendance so know if you are aboard or not.  As far as I know if you are off ship they won't delay the drill calling your cabin

Edited by A Sixth?

31 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I’m not advocating to skip the Muster Drill but if you’re a frequent cruiser, don’t you already know the drill.

i mean I’ve flown many many times and never pay attention to the safety announcement cause I know how to buckle a seat belt and where the exits are.

I would say that after enough cruises they may not worry as much on B2B2B2Bs.

That said, if we had been aboard  (in Hawaii we were on the other side of the island. It was an evening departure) we always go.

Edited by A Sixth?

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise this fall, departing from Venice.  The interesting thing is, on embarkation day, we do not leave.  The first night aboard is an overnight.  I understand on that trip, the muster is very likely day 2, just prior to leaving the port of Venice....  We take the drill seriously as we do not want to be "one of those people".

3 hours ago, Arno. said:

Get serious.. show a video of a ship in distress and people panicking.. that will wake up all the passengers still on their cell phones while sipping a forbidden beverage.  Ship happens and people should know how important a drill is.

Absolutely. Many of us actually think think that drowning in a very cold and shark infested sea should be a concern. And yes, ship happens and if it sinks, some folks won't have a clue....

39 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I’m not advocating to skip the Muster Drill but if you’re a frequent cruiser, don’t you already know the drill.

i mean I’ve flown many many times and never pay attention to the safety announcement cause I know how to buckle a seat belt and where the exits are.

But the point is, the aircrew still does the pre-takeoff safety lecture even if you don’t listen. Most may sit and look at their phones or read but it’s still done. 

For flights, I personally listen a bit and look to insure I know how many seat rows the closest emergency exit is - forward and behind. I relax but on take-off roll, I tighten by belt, and stay alert for anything unusual until we are airborne, gear up and made some climbing turn. After a few minutes into the flight, I go back to relaxing, reading, whatever. During landing, I then stay alert during the final low-level approach for landing to touchdown and rollout Those are the only times that if there is an emergency that may allow the crew to get us back on the ground in relatively few pieces in a short time, and being alert and ready to exit makes sense. The rest of the flight doesn’t matter - if there’s a major issue, you have no options beyond just sitting there, staying quiet and out of the way and hope they get to some airport. 

For cruises, I’ll listen to not only be courteous, but to just remind myself of the ‘what-ifs’. No matter how experienced we are as cruisers, none of us are ‘experienced’ in being ready for an emergency. I’ve been through more than a few aboard Naval vessels, and each is unique. So just listen up and note where your station is and maybe think about how to get to it (or any station) in the dark, but then get ready to enjoy the cruise. Do remember, there are parents with kids and I bet they don’t think its a joke. They want to know For Sure how to get to their kids or their kids brought to them. 

By the way, on our last few Celebrity cruises, the ‘woman chasing the villain’ was dropped and it was a standard video. Kind of like when Delta Airlines had the funny cartoon-type one that was dropped. They did those videos because so many of us ignore the briefings and must be ‘entertained’ even when someone is explaining what you need to do to stay alive. But what the heck, I don’t need it and it interferes with getting one more drink. I bet if a crew-person walked up on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise and asked you where your muster station was, all us would give them the blank thousand-mile stare. 

Den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I don't know. I have many hundreds of thousands of miles on aircraft and I always watch and listen to the safety presentation. I guess I am thinking that one day they will actually say, "When this happens simply jump into the aisle, bend over, and kiss your ass goodbye".  I guess with sailing I always imagine I might be on the Titanic. You just might want to give that some thought. Unless you're imperious, of course. 😎

We've been fortunate to sail on multiple cruises now, and we pretty much know the drill is important. We attend and pay attention for the only reason that the sooner we passengers get off safely, the sooner the staff can save themselves in the unlikely case of an evacuation. Imagine the guilt one would have if God forbid we delayed getting off the ship, and someone lost their lives for it. It would put us off cruising for good. 

It rarely takes more than 15-20 minutes, think of it as an insurance and just attend. 

Nick

• Like 1