Best of free included desserts?

Jaxweb

Lemon tart at Cafe Al Bacio is the best....On our last cruise we brought some back for an early morning snack before breakfast, since we are early risers. Reminds me of my Grandma's lemon dessert.   Also, I like to get the free ice cream (at lunch) and put a shot of Kahlua and/or or both amaretto on it!  YUM! Nice to have lots of choices!  Anyway.....You will Have A Wonderful Time on your cruise!!!  🙂 

1 hour ago, K12Guy said:

Close. Georgia peaches are very good. Palisade peaches, however, are excellent and cannot be beaten! 🙂

However you can still chop, purée and slice the palisade peaches

Edited by ghstudio

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Maybe you need to just have fresh fruit?  If you are very concerned about calories, I am not sure how you could enjoy any such as ice cream or donuts?  Most of the tasty desserts have as many calories as an entire meal.

Shouldn't obsess about calories while on vacation.  Kills the vibe.  Eat what you like and ease your conscience by walking laps and taking stairs instead of elevator.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 4:52 PM, GastroGnome said:

And for what it is worth... I hate the ice cream.  Really sorry - but I grew up on Italian gelato.  American ice cream has far too much casein.  So - each to his (or her) own....

It is not casein that makes gelato different from ice cream.

https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/07/whats-the-difference-between-gelato-and-ice-cream.html?fbclid=IwAR2BNkW9-WxV5yVl0RPbk20dGzTQVfZLBtODtY32E0CPOzTCS2kobIYdPSc

IMHO most sweets on the OVC buffet are not tasty and definitely not worth it

Better choices at Al Bacio and even then not all. However so fun to try them with tea in the afternoon.

Its fine to try a dessert in MDr and then not finish ti if it isnt wonderful. You are on vacation. Enjoy it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Icon901 said:

Gotcha! DO you swipe the cruise card with each "purchase" of a pastry (or drink, or dinner, or whatever)? Or are all on ship tips part of the daily "Gratuities" we pay..regardless of what we eat/drink? 

THANKS! 

They will not swipe your card for pastries at Bacio.  They're free.  No charge.  Just order what you want.  If you're ordering while seated at a table, it's nice to slip the waiter a dollar now and then.

• Thanks 1

I have not read through all the posts but IMO the best dessert by far is the Carrot Cake at Café Bacio (it is free, but the coffees are not).  Anything at Café Bacio is good and I found myself often skipping dessert in the MDR in lieu of going there after dinner.  Note, it seems the Carrot cake is only available one time a week.  If I had known that, I would have wrapped several pieces and kept them in my fridge.  Ironically, I typically don't care for carrot cake 😋

Mimbecky

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

Do you get that in the specialty restaurants or the MDR?  I don't think I've seen souffles for dessert in the MDR.  Oh, wait....maybe on chic night?

Had Grand Mariner soufflé last week in MDR....probably night 10 or 11 of 14. It wasn’t listed on the menu, but our waiter mentioned it.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 5:55 PM, PTC DAWG said:

That seems harsh....I love them both....home made peach ice cream with fresh Georgia Peaches cannot be beaten..

As someone else said, really hard to know what you (OP or anyone else) will like based on what someone here likes. 

Using this post as an example, I personally dislike peaches in ice cream.  I have a friend that likes this too and I just think blech, maybe I haven't tried with the right peaches.   Love having choices 🙂

Personally I have found many desserts on the ships not so great, they aren't terrible ... just not great.  So many items seem to have a similar taste and few things have a stand out flavor. It's like they use a similar base for so many items (cakes, squares) and just change a few things up which I totally understand if that is what they do.  I do like the creme brule and the ice cream is 'okay' but I prefer their gelato but that isn't free!  Also, over time I have noticed items in Cafe el Bacio have been changing (reducing), no berliner (which was my favorite) on last Edge sailing and seemed pastries were being reduced to fewer selections.  Just nothing overly exciting.

All this said, you might have a totally different opinion.  Have a great cruise!

7 hours ago, GlennaRoseGoes said:

Had Grand Mariner soufflé last week in MDR....probably night 10 or 11 of 14. It wasn’t listed on the menu, but our waiter mentioned it.

What ship, have had that in Murano, my favorite dessert in 25 years on Celebrity. Was it served warm

18 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Maybe you should focus on the extra charge desserts - maybe better and that way you could use your OBC to tip...

You may recall that OP is opposed to tipping for room service delivery based on belief it is included in the daily grat charge. ( see sep thread)  Doubtful he'd tip at Cafe Baccio. 

We enjoy afternoon coffee and tea with some goodies, and always leave a few dollars for our  server!  Quality of desserts there is mixed but can always try something else if original choice is  not to one's taste.

Desserts  and breads used to be a Celebrity highlight. Sadly no longer!

Edited by hcat

On 7/17/2019 at 6:31 PM, Mr&MrsCookie said:

although I did get one dessert in the main restaurant that was in the shape of male genitals! 😮)

Really!?  Why?  That is so odd.  In all my Celebrity cruises (any cruise, for that matter)...I have never seen a dessert in the shape of male genitalia.  Please explain.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:41 PM, Cobeck1234 said:

We love the lemon tarts at Cafe Bacio, no charge for desserts and baked goods served there.  Also love Cafe Affogato.  A scoop of gelato with a shot of espresso.  I get aside of Kahlua to pour on top.  Not on the menu but will make it for you and covered under classic drink package.

Now this is the kind of information I come to these boards for! LOLOLOL😂😂

2 hours ago, Mynki said:

Not read the thread but IMHO

Included - Creme Brulee

Paid for - Either soufflé  in Murano. Both are excellent. 

You are right on. Those desserts are signature dishes.  In Murano, I would add the crepes Balon Rouge.  Fun to see  that dish prepared table side and  was  tasty.

We  have tried the cakes and although they look nice, the taste usually has something missing.  However, I must say that the dessert chef on Equinox did prepare some excellent cakes.  A nice surprise.

I thought that the desserts looked good but that’s as far as it went - too sweet and pretty tasteless. The crème brûlée in MDR was the worst I’ve ever had and served icy cold. The apple pie was also terrible.

Tried several desserts in Café al Bacio and didn’t find them any good either. The only good dessert was the fig ice cream in Tuscan Grill. 

All in my humble opinion, of course.

My wife really enjoys the Chocolate cake that appears daily on the MDR menu.  I think last time she thought it wasn't quite as good as it had been previously but she still enjoyed it several times

On 7/17/2019 at 7:21 PM, sjb317 said:

I think Celebrity offers desserts that look beautiful but are tasteless and not worth the calories. The best one I tried on our recent Equinox cruise was the limoncello cheesecake in the Tuscan Grill.  The worse one was the apple pie I tried in the MDR.

Sherri🙂 

What is it with cruiseship pies? I have yet to find a decent apple pie and have been on Royal, Norwegian and Disney. However surprisingly the Carnival desserts seem to be better, good apple crisp on the buffet. But the food, not so much.....

9 minutes ago, KarimaJ said:

What is it with cruiseship pies? I have yet to find a decent apple pie and have been on Royal, Norwegian and Disney. However surprisingly the Carnival desserts seem to be better, good apple crisp on the buffet. But the food, not so much.....

The best apple pie I’ve ever had on a cruise ship was a few weeks ago on Majesty of the Seas.  Although on the menu as apple pie, it was more like a tart and it was warm and gooey with lots of cinnamon😀😀

Sherri🙂

We just got off the Solstice to Alaska a week ago, and mostly ate from the buffet in the OceanView Cafe. The desserts there were excellent. The good part about themed menus (Taste of India, Taste of America, Taste of Italy, etc) was that they also had regional desserts/sweets you could experience. The Tiramisu was excellent, as was the After 8 chocolate cake - and these were available almost every day. The Fruit tarts were good too. 

My personal favorite - the bread pudding, with vanilla sauce. I could eat only that, for dinner 😍

As others have mentioned the Creme Brulee was excellent...had it 3 times.  There was another custard dish in the MDR that was similar, but had diced up fruit instead of the sugar crust..also tasty! There was a coconut cake one day a Baccio that was excellent.