Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
steelers36

FCD Applied & Didn't Realize Non-Refundable Deposit

Okay, so anyone can make a mistake, right?  Even someone who ought to know better.  I didn't quite find this situation in doing a forum search, so rather than resurrect an old one, let me ask the community this one.

I made a self-service booking on my TA's website after shopping on Princess for cabin availability and pricing.  I did not realize at the time (July 5 and FCD's applied July 6) that the "Sun-Drenched Deals" promotion has non-refundable deposits (NRD).  Princess doesn't do a good job revealing that little fact unless you read into the fine print or actually do a booking (a pop-up window warns the customer they are about to make a NRD on a booking).  But, as an experienced cruiser, I ought to have checked this more carefully and not just plunged into booking a trip we may or may not be able to take, thinking it would be like anything else we have booked in recent years (i.e. refundable to final payment date). 

I don't blame my TA either, as all I do is send her an email with the Princess booking number and ask her to apply payment.  She knows I know what I am doing with their booking pages, so wasn't likely to back catch me (but I wouldn't be surprised if she does in future).  Anyway, we can all make mistakes and as I understand it, our FCD's are now at risk if we do not take this cruise.

I also understand I can make an appeal to Customer Relations and just wondering if any of you good folk have had a similar situation and had success in making an appeal to CR for a rebate or transfer to another booking.  I would propose to them that I would have to cancel the booking right now (since I found out) in order to get FCD's back and then take my chances on re-booking at a later date when we are sure we can go (I do not expect them to mark my deposit as refundable and be able to leave it sit until Final Payment).

Thanks.

I would blame the TA.

Like you said that pop up box......

When you book on the Princess website it is the first big box that pops up during the booking process and warns you that it is a non refundable deposit.

I was looking at cabins last night and I was getting tired of that box popping up and you have to check a box within the box to acknowledge the non refundable deposit before you can proceed.

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would blame the TA.

Like you said that pop up box......

When you book on the Princess website it is the first big box that pops up during the booking process and warns you that it is a non refundable deposit.

I was looking at cabins last night and I was getting tired of that box popping up and you have to check a box within the box to acknowledge the non refundable deposit before you can proceed.

I know, but it only comes up if you go past looking at cabins and prices and actually process into a booking.  I am in Canada as you know, so I only see prices in CAD and am always converting to USD (I book with a US TA).  I don't want to lie and dump on my TA.  I value the relationship.  When you mentioned that, I do recall some other minor situation in the past (not a money-losing thing) where she said she would call them and say she messed something up (it got fixed).  I have never done this mistake before.  I just figure if I am honest and explain what happened, I might get a "Mulligan" from CR.  I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this and got it resolved positively.  

I believe you can cancel (any such contract) within the first 24 hours, so call first thing in the morning.

3 minutes ago, San Diego Ellie said:

I believe you can cancel (any such contract) within the first 24 hours, so call first thing in the morning.

Yes, that would be easy.  As I indicated in my OP, I booked this on July 5/6 and just found out the non-refundable aspect a couple of days ago.  That actually was a result of reading a thread and a couple of posts on here where someone commented on the Sun-Drenched promo and my heart sank.  It was then I looked into it further and have spoken with a Princess rep who suggested CR "sometimes" might help out.

Are you able to wait it out and switch to another promotion that doesn't have a non-refundable deposit? I did this on a coastal I have coming in September. I had a similar situation BUT in my case, there was zero mention of a non-refundable deposit on the website (it wasn't even tied to a promo when I booked) and I only found out when I got the confirmation email. I was 99% sure I was going to take the cruise so didn't stress too much. However, a month or so later there was a nice price drop so I called and got an adjustment - the new confirmation made no mention of a non-refundable deposit...That MIGHT work for you?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Are you able to wait it out and switch to another promotion that doesn't have a non-refundable deposit? I did this on a coastal I have coming in September. I had a similar situation BUT in my case, there was zero mention of a non-refundable deposit on the website (it wasn't even tied to a promo when I booked) and I only found out when I got the confirmation email. I was 99% sure I was going to take the cruise so didn't stress too much. However, a month or so later there was a nice price drop so I called and got an adjustment - the new confirmation made no mention of a non-refundable deposit...That MIGHT work for you?

Interesting thoughts and idea.  I think I recall reading about your case.  However, Landmark sale is for future dates 2020 & 2021 and so will 3FF (which doesn't begin until after FP date for a November cruise).  In short, I don't see what there will be for a future promotion for Nov 2019 after July 31 as FP date is in late August.  I expect anything from here on out will have NRD.  

Edited by steelers36

I asked a Princess rep about that exact issue one time (but did not end up booking). I was told that I might  be able to transfer the FCD to a different booking if I couldn't go on the original one. No promise though. If they won't put it back in your account it might be worth a shot, especially if you transfer to something refundable.

I use a PVP not a TA. She transferred a nonrefundable deposit (FCD used) from one booking to another when I switched cruises. Stated she was able to do it because it was made with FCD. 2nd one was a refundable deposit with additional OBC + 300 air credit

Thanks all so far.  The above contain encouraging words.  I will see what CR says whenever they get back to me.  I don't plan on making another booking right now (although I suppose I could find one with a refundable deposit - otherwise I would be transferring FCD's to an existing booking and then have no additional OBC - which is better than losing them altogether).

One time our T.A. was able to change our booking with a non refundable deposit to a more favorable promo without losing the FCD's and the attached OBC. It took effort on the part of the T.A. So, it may be possible. 

Just curious why you would book a cruise and then immediately decide you don’t not want that cruise.  Faux bookings are a big problem for all cruise lines and take cabins out of inventory that might be of interest to those who really are serious about that particular cruise.   Our vote is still out on non refundable deposits.  We have also been burned when we had to cancel a booking, but if the non refundable are tied the really good deals then we support the concept.

Hank

5 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Thanks all so far.  The above contain encouraging words.  I will see what CR says whenever they get back to me.  I don't plan on making another booking right now (although I suppose I could find one with a refundable deposit - otherwise I would be transferring FCD's to an existing booking and then have no additional OBC - which is better than losing them altogether).

I don't believe you can apply a FCD to an existing booking without rebooking the cruise at the present fare and promotion. 

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't believe you can apply a FCD to an existing booking without rebooking the cruise at the present fare and promotion. 

I believe you can apply it only as money toward your fare ... but with no OBC offered