Choosing a Cruise Line for Antarctica

awestover89

4 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

This depends on the exchange rate. I booked my Hurtigruten trip in the US when the NOK suddenly weakened and saved quite a bit.

But especially for the Norwegian coastal voyages, yes, the Norwegian prices are often lower.

I'm not disagreeing. I even booked a 2023 Antarctica/South Georgia trip on the U.S. site because they were running a sale that made it less-expensive than the .no site. But right now, for example, the same Highlights of Antarctica voyage that starts at $8,981 on the U.S. site is $6,300 on the .no site, and those 66-day and 93-day voyages are more than $10,000 less-expensive on the .no site. Off topic, have you taken a look at those? They look pretty amazing.

On 6/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bella0714 said:

those 66-day and 93-day voyages are more than $10,000 less-expensive on the .no site. Off topic, have you taken a look at those? They look pretty amazing

They do look pretty cool! I think it will be a few years before I can take a trip that long! My last expedition was 30 days, and I thought that was a logistical challenge even before we tacked on an unexpected extra 10 days (due to Covid port closures).

If I ever do a repositioning expedition (intentionally), I want to do the mid-Atlantic and visit Tristan da Cunha. I’d really love to make it to Inaccessible Island. I mentioned this to an expedition staffer once, only to have him break out in a huge grin telling me proudly that he has landed on Inaccessible Island.

15 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

They do look pretty cool! I think it will be a few years before I can take a trip that long! My last expedition was 30 days, and I thought that was a logistical challenge even before we tacked on an unexpected extra 10 days (due to Covid port closures).

I could do it if not for the Hurtigruten internet issue: You can't access a VPN from their internet, and without that, I can't be away for 60-90 days. It's a real dealbreaker, and as you know, 4G and 5G are often not accessible in some of these areas.

The odd thing about the 93-day one on Roald Amundsen is that after all that travel, you spend only four days in Antarctica. The shorter one on Fram finishes with seven days in Antarctica. Also, if I'm not mistaken, both go to the less-interesting side of Greenland (the west side).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bella0714 said:

I could do it if not for the Hurtigruten internet issue: You can't access a VPN from their internet, and without that, I can't be away for 60-90 days. It's a real dealbreaker, and as you know, 4G and 5G are often not accessible in some of these areas.

The odd thing about the 93-day one on Roald Amundsen is that after all that travel, you spend only four days in Antarctica. The shorter one on Fram finishes with seven days in Antarctica. Also, if I'm not mistaken, both go to the less-interesting side of Greenland (the west side).

Are you  going to be visiting any cities on the trip.  If so, I would imagine that you could get internet there.  It wouldn't bother me to be off the grid for a week or so if I could quick check e-mails every couple of weeks especially as most of the stuff I get is just junk.  Can you imagine how big your in box would be after 93 days.

DON

Edited by donaldsc