Cruise Critic Community
dancermom

Stateroom assignment

I was surprised to see that we have been assigned a stateroom less than one week after booking the Norwegian Sun for an October 5 cruise. Usually with guarantees we wait and wait and wait. Is this to encourage us to bid on an upgrade or is this typical of NCL? 

Deb

We booked a Sailaway OV on a cruise next year and got cabin assignment right then !

18 hours ago, dancermom said:

I was surprised to see that we have been assigned a stateroom less than one week after booking the Norwegian Sun for an October 5 cruise. Usually with guarantees we wait and wait and wait. Is this to encourage us to bid on an upgrade or is this typical of NCL? 

Deb

Stateroom assignments can be given right away for a number of reasons as well as being given very close to departure day for a number of reasons......  I think you answered your own question "is this typical? " based on your statement "usually..... we wait and wait and wait" 

19 hours ago, dancermom said:

Deb

I have had cabins assigned as soon as I booked when I chose gty and I have had them assigned just a week out. It can happen at any time. This isn't only on NCL but other lines as well. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, dancermom said:

Deb

There have been a few times that I have booked guarantees with NCL, and before I get off the phone we have a cabin assignment. That is just the way that NCL does business. It really has nothing to do with bidding. This was happening before the bidding process was put into place.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, dancermom said:

Deb

Are you happy with your room assignment?  We are on the same cruise.

I've experienced both.  Waiting until the last min and this time months in advance.  You never know.

Thanks for the replies. I am happy with our stateroom. I suppose if I was not, I would be grateful for the upsell bidding opportunity. 

I also just booked a gty balcony for a cruise on the Jade this October just 2 days ago.  I was surprised to already have a cabin assignment when I went online today.  Unfortunately, I think it is probably the worst balcony on the ship (8518).   Does anyone know if that could change or is it set in stone?  It is only 97 days til cruise date.  When do they send out bid invitations?  Final pay was 120 days out, so is it possible we might still get an invite?  First time I have tried a gty, but rates have gone up so much, I thought I'd give it a shot.  The good news is it's a port intensive cruise, so we won't be in the cabin much.