Cruise Critic Community
Mahogany

Penthouse vs. Veranda suites

Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier, but I just returned from my first Crystal cruise and can now comment a bit more knowledgeably.

I was in an A1 on Deck 9. I knew it was going to be smaller than I was used to on other lines, but I was pleased enough with other aspects of Crystal that I am considering a return. Other than more space, is there any difference in PH or V? More complimentary specialty restaurant reservations? Butler service? And is the difference between  PH and Seabreeze PH just the deck location?  I travel solo so know there aren't often  solo fares for PH. Thanks for guidance.

Our PH cabin 1062 allowed us a Butler and all the specialty restaurants we wanted if available beyond the 4 that came with our 8 night cruise.  We could only pre-book 2 before the cruise, but in the suite, we were allowed to book two more without up-charge.  We ended up asking for a couple more through the butler and he said let me see what I can do.  The maitre d' called us that day and asked if a certain time would work.  The Seabreeze suites looked newer but didn't have a separate bath.  The butler was great even though we didn't use him much.  But he would bring appetizers daily of our choice and it was easy to ask him to arrange for dinner reservations and almost anything else we wanted from him.  He also replaced any liquor or wine bottles we wanted and would have served us any room service meal from any restaurant if wee wanted.  It was our only time on Crystal so I don't have a direct comparison, but the rooms weren't much larger than mini-suites on the main stream lines.  But still plenty of room.

Panoramic PH 1062.jpg

more storage/drawers. seperate shower/jetted tub. I had room service lunch and dinner when tired or  a cold. .free candy replaced daily. I mean a box of 9.

What I liked best from the Penthouse cabin (1124) in my first Crystal cruise was the comfortable, well lit, vanity.  Just in case this is important for you... 

3 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

What I liked best from the Penthouse cabin (1124) in my first Crystal cruise was the comfortable, well lit, vanity.  Just in case this is important for you... 

For anyone reading this who is not aware, the vanities on the Serenity and the Symphony are very different in both the Penthouse and Penthouse Suite cabins. Look at the layouts on the Crystal site to see all the differences in the cabins between the two ships.

Patty

52 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

For anyone reading this who is not aware, the vanities on the Serenity and the Symphony are very different in both the Penthouse and Penthouse Suite cabins. Look at the layouts on the Crystal site to see all the differences in the cabins between the two ships.

Patty

Thanks for the recommendation. I did that before posting.

The biggest difference for us besides the extra room and the walk in closet. is if there is room in the specialty restaurants you are free to dine there as many times as you like for no extra charge. Additionally if you want to dine in your cabin, you can also order off the specialty restaurant menus, which will be served course by course by your butler. 

Of course the butler can arrange reservations or a cocktail party in the room or some other amenities.

Pressing in a PH is free which is great after you first arrive. 

The butler can pack/unpack for you.

And there is always the hors d’houves each afternoon. 

The SB PH on Symphony while newer, isn’t quite as spacious as the regular PH. 

Posted (edited)

For us, the difference is the length of the cruise. Most of our early cruises were in the 10 - 12 night range, and for that a Balcony cabin was fine. We rarely spent that much time there, other than to to sleep, shower and change our clothes. In the last two years we have spent seven/six weeks on Serenity in a PS, and will be doing the full World Cruise in 2020, and have booked a PS. We have found that on these longer cruises we do tend to spend more time either in the room, or on the balcony, partly because we can spend an evening reading, or watching the ocean go by, without feeling that we are missing anything. While we certainly do not over-work our butler, he is nice to have, and because we are in a suite, when we show up at Prego or Umi Uma, because we are flexible and easy to please, they always have a spot for us.

Edited by Roland4