Why such a big difference in price?

I’ve only cruised Carnival in the past but I would really like to try RC just to see how it differs. I looked at 7 day cruises from Port Canaveral during early July 2020 from both lines. I found one from Carnival on The Breeze and one from RC on Harmony of the Seas. Now I realize that Harmony is one of their largest ships with all the bells and whistles. But the RC cruise was around $1,500 more for my family of 3. I can understand a higher cost just based on the things the RC ship offers (climbing wall, flowrider, etc.)  But what could the RC cruise possibly offer that would justify a $1,500 difference? I really want to try a cruise on RC but that’s a really big difference. We could enjoy some really good shore excursions for that price difference. I guess that question could really only be answered by people that have been on both ships. But I would like some honest feedback. 

11 minutes ago, no1volman said:

I’ve only cruised Carnival in the past but I would really like to try RC just to see how it differs. I looked at 7 day cruises from Port Canaveral during early July 2020 from both lines. I found one from Carnival on The Breeze and one from RC on Harmony of the Seas. Now I realize that Harmony is one of their largest ships with all the bells and whistles. But the RC cruise was around $1,500 more for my family of 3. I can understand a higher cost just based on the things the RC ship offers (climbing wall, flowrider, etc.)  But what could the RC cruise possibly offer that would justify a $1,500 difference? I really want to try a cruise on RC but that’s a really big difference. We could enjoy some really good shore excursions for that price difference. I guess that question could really only be answered by people that have been on both ships. But I would like some honest feedback. 

Oasis Class premium, everybody wants be on one(well many do). Royal doesnt have many ships here in Summer, so ask's even more...

Edited by ONECRUISER

There is definitely a supply & demand aspect to it.

If they didn't get those prices, they wouldn't be able to charge them.

There is probably also an element of needing a 3 person cabin.  There is probably a greater cost for that category.

What date were you looking at?

31 minutes ago, no1volman said:

... But what could the RC cruise possibly offer that would justify a $1,500 difference? ...

Where does it say that prices must be justified?

All RC needs to know is that someone will pay it.

• Like 5

Basic Economics.  As Bob said, some people are willing to pay more.  Sailed Celebrity for years and they have priced me out of their market thus have been sailing Royal.  I can still live with their prices.  You get what you pay for.  I don't feel that I get the same quality with Royal but I can no longer afford Celebrity.  We have to make our own choices.

• Like 2

It’s also the premium on Oasis class ships.  Last year we priced out a Christmas cruise on Allure, Symphony, and Serenade - 7 days each on Allure and Symphony, 10 days on Serenade.  Serenade was half the price for the same cabin category (in this case as Grand Suite).  So even within the Royal family of ships, prices can vary a lot.  

To OP, if you really want to try RCI, look to see if any Freedom class or Voyager class ships are sailing out of FL over the summer - maybe not, as many ships head to Europe, but they will give you a pretty good idea what RCI offers at a more affordable price.  

Yes next summer prices on oasis class is outrageous. We always take an oasis class first week of June. I was on symphony in June and next June rates are $1500 more per cabin. There are only 2 oasis class ships next summer in Florida, Harmony and symphony. This summer 3 oasis where here. So that explains it. 

Edited by renza

I love me some Carnival but I really like Royal. If you want to try Royal you have to really work at it, but you can find pricing very close. 

I don’t think you can just pick a date and match. 

I actually found a balcony on Oasis cheaper than a balcony on Carnival for my date range. 

I have been looking and checking for months.

it can be done. It’s our first Oasis class and we are very excited 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

I love me some Carnival but I really like Royal. If you want to try Royal you have to really work at it, but you can find pricing very close. 

I actually found a balcony on Oasis cheaper than a balcony on Carnival for my date range. 

I loved the Allure. It was my first Oasis class ship. I’m excited to cruise my first Quantum class in 2021. And better yet, I get to disembark in my home city.

You cannot just compare prices. You have to compare ships as well. The Breeze is not one of Carnival newest and best ships so the price probably wouldn’t be as high as a newer ship like the Horizon. The Harmony is a one of RC’a newest ships and will cost more. This is true even when priced with older RC ships.

I went on a Vista 6 night sailing and it was more expensive than a 7 night Oasis sailing.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

You cannot just compare prices. You have to compare ships as well. The Breeze is not one of Carnival newest and best ships so the price probably wouldn’t be as high as a newer ship like the Horizon. The Harmony is a one of RC’a newest ships and will cost more. This is true even when priced with older RC ships.

I went on a Vista 6 night sailing and it was more expensive than a 7 night Oasis sailing.

I was going to say something similar. In the last year I sailed on Allure and Carnival Magic. My Magic cruise was $100 more than Allure. 

1 hour ago, RSLeesburg said:

It’s also the premium on Oasis class ships.  Last year we priced out a Christmas cruise on Allure, Symphony, and Serenade - 7 days each on Allure and Symphony, 10 days on Serenade.  Serenade was half the price for the same cabin category (in this case as Grand Suite).  So even within the Royal family of ships, prices can vary a lot.  

To OP, if you really want to try RCI, look to see if any Freedom class or Voyager class ships are sailing out of FL over the summer - maybe not, as many ships head to Europe, but they will give you a pretty good idea what RCI offers at a more affordable price.  

I don't think they have any 7 night cruises out of Florida on Freedom or Voyager class. It stinks. That's actually the reason I tried Carnival when I did.

7 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

I don't think they have any 7 night cruises out of Florida on Freedom or Voyager class. It stinks. That's actually the reason I tried Carnival when I did.

The OP could do a B2B on independence.  That is the best offer for a freedom class ship in the summer out of Florida.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

There is definitely a supply & demand aspect to it.

If they didn't get those prices, they wouldn't be able to charge them.

There is probably also an element of needing a 3 person cabin.  There is probably a greater cost for that category.

What date were you looking at?

Sailing out the weekend of July 4th or 5th. 

I was playing around with both websites this evening and discovered that I can get a balcony on the Breeze for just $300 more than an interior. So the balcony on the Breeze is roughly $1200 cheaper than an interior on RC. 

2 hours ago, Bases5 said:

↑ This! We took our one and only (so far) cruise out of PC on Oasis last summer - August 2018, in an Ocean View balcony with 3 people for $1911 total, including taxes and fees. I basically just stumbled across the date/price on one of those online TA sites where it's easy to search. I clicked all the way through to picking a room, got a price, took a screen shot and called up my regular TA, who verified she could get me that price. I think it's really hit or miss on what you can find out there for any given time

Edited by Carolina Girl 99

I've been looking at booking Carnival Mardi Gras in fall of 2020, the prices for 2 people are much closer to Harmony and Mardi Gras should be a much more comparable ship in size / features. If comparing to breeze you can look at RC ships out of Tampa to get closer pricing. I think RC tends to charge more when you go above 2 per cabin too. I saw that when I helped my coworker book a cruise for 4 (they went with carnival due to price).  

Edited by basictek

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

.... But someone has to pay for all the millions of dollars that went into Coco Cay.  😮 

I hear that another few weeks of Coco Cay cabana rentals will cover the cost of all the improvments.🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I hear that another few weeks of Coco Cay cabana rentals will cover the cost of all the improvments.🙄

LOL!!  Yeah...I can believe that!!   My sister rented a Chill Cabana for a surprise for my birthday...me I would never have paid that price for a shady spot.  🤑😬 Our cabana attendant was really lame...sure not worth the money in my eyes!  

I agree that the cabin for 3 people can also make it more expensive. We've sailed Oasis and Allure within the last year and found that booking 2 cabins for 2 people each (4 people total), was less expensive than 1 cabin for 3 people.

If you're price conscious I guess I can understand the concern. But it's like comparing the stay at a two star resort to a 4-5 star resort and expecting the price and amenities to be the same. Unfortunately price is not the one and only factor for comparison. 

• Like 2