Cruise Critic Community

So we sailed on grand Classica 7/14-7/16 in an ocean view stateroom.  

Calling this the spirit airlines of cruising would be an insult to spirit airlines. 

The food in the dining room was not good but halfway edible. The breakfast buffet was awful. The bbq buffet on the 2nd was however the best meal I experienced over the 2 days. I was impressed. 

The last morning on the ship was about as chaotic as I have ever seen. First there was a power outage early in the morning. The electricity came back relatively quickly but the problems lingered. I jumped in the shower around 730am and when I got out, while standing in a towel the room steward just opens the door with no knock and yells that we have 30 minutes to be out. I slammed the door and tried to quickly get dressed and stuck my head in the hallway where he was apparently doing it other rooms.  I went in the hallway but he just ignored me and went the other way. We then to try and call the guest services to find out why this happened a log a complaint but that made everything worse. We were basically told it was our fault. We went to the buffet trough to get a little something before leaving.  They had no water or juices so we decided to go before things got worse.  They got worse. We asked where to go to get off the ship with US Passports and were directed to a hallway. We then stood in the line for an hour and a half with no air conditioning. So now we are crammed in a hot, dark hallway with a few hundred other people and no direction from anyone.  Finally a lady came and told us she had been making announcements about passports which was entirely untrue. The whole process is terrible and they need to do better.

i have called customer service and was simply given an I can’t help you but here’s an email address.  I sent them an email and was given a generic reply.

good luck if you go. Just because the initial fare is cheap you will end up spending what you would for a real cruise line.

We've went on this cruise a few times. While its not near the Haven suites, Star Class on Royal Caribbean or the Yacht club on MSC, we still had fun on this cruise. Its great for a weekend getaway. The food is not near as bad as you are making it out to be. We also typically eat in the admirals lounge, which is always GREAT. If you dont go again, its your loss. 

I’m not losing anything by not going. It was ABSOLUTELY terrible.  There are plenty of better options. If you like it then good luck with that. 

Also watch your charges. They have charged my CC again today for I have absolutely no idea what. 

2 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I’m not losing anything by not going. It was ABSOLUTELY terrible.  There are plenty of better options. If you like it then good luck with that. 

Also watch your charges. They have charged my CC again today for I have absolutely no idea what. 

That is not normal for them at all. I have no explanation for the terrible time you say you had. I have never experienced any of what you are saying and I hope they do correct this. We sailed only once on the Grand Classica and prefer the Grand celebration for minor reasons. As for the steward opening your door. On any cruise ship. Lock the door. They cannot open it if you do. You need to be out of your room by 8:30 am not 8:00 am. As for the food. It is average to good. If in the MDR you would like a nice 12oz NY Strip from the Admirals table, it is only $18.00 the filet is the same price. The buffet food it typical. Not a big selection as on any small cruise ship. As for breakfast. You can have eggs any way you want them including the omelets. Standard sides. There are two buffets on that ship. One on the port and one on the starboard side directly across from on another. I  would have checked the juice dispenser in the other buffet. No matter. What you experienced, there is no excuse for it.

By the way. Your account should be checked. If you had no idea what it was, simply go and ask. Normal charges are the gratuities that are automatically applied. The $1.00 for the port and anything you purchase, nothing more.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:49 PM, RaftingJeremy said:

Calling this the spirit airlines of cruising would be an insult to spirit airlines. 

The food in the dining room was not good but halfway edible. The breakfast buffet was awful. The bbq buffet on the 2nd was however the best meal I experienced over the 2 days. I was impressed. 

The last morning on the ship was about as chaotic as I have ever seen. First there was a power outage early in the morning. The electricity came back relatively quickly but the problems lingered. I jumped in the shower around 730am and when I got out, while standing in a towel the room steward just opens the door with no knock and yells that we have 30 minutes to be out. I slammed the door and tried to quickly get dressed and stuck my head in the hallway where he was apparently doing it other rooms.  I went in the hallway but he just ignored me and went the other way. We then to try and call the guest services to find out why this happened a log a complaint but that made everything worse. We were basically told it was our fault. We went to the buffet trough to get a little something before leaving.  They had no water or juices so we decided to go before things got worse.  They got worse. We asked where to go to get off the ship with US Passports and were directed to a hallway. We then stood in the line for an hour and a half with no air conditioning. So now we are crammed in a hot, dark hallway with a few hundred other people and no direction from anyone.  Finally a lady came and told us she had been making announcements about passports which was entirely untrue. The whole process is terrible and they need to do better.

i have called customer service and was simply given an I can’t help you but here’s an email address.  I sent them an email and was given a generic reply.

good luck if you go. Just because the initial fare is cheap you will end up spending what you would for a real cruise line.

So what is the date of your cruise on the Gem going to be? I’ll be interested in how your review on that ship will be.  I just got off the Norwegian Sky and had a wonderful time. I had breakfast and lunch on at Cagneys as part of my Owners Suite amenities. Their breakfast was adequate but not as good as the breakfast in Admiralty Club on the Grand Celebration.  Curious to see how you will grade the Gem. Also, it seems that all your criticisms were about the buffet and your experience on disembarkation which if you had been on any ship at this time of the cruise is always absolute crazy. It was like that on Sky but our butler walked us off the ship which is what the concierge do on the Grand Celebration and the Grand Classica. How many cruises have you’ve on?

I’m almost platinum level on Norwegian and have been on almost all of their ships at least once. I love the way things are done at NCL and if there has been any kind of issue they do something about it. All of the machines were out in all the buffers that morning. I’m well aware to lock the door, and yes they can absolutely can  open it if they want to because they did however they are not supposed to. I have never ever had that kind of experience disembarking a ship. Most call by deck or group you in a color or some sort of organization. They don’t typically just yell at you to get out and have the entire ship standing in hallways to leave. 

2 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I’m almost platinum level on Norwegian and have been on almost all of their ships at least once. I love the way things are done at NCL and if there has been any kind of issue they do something about it. All of the machines were out in all the buffers that morning. I’m well aware to lock the door, and yes they can absolutely can  open it if they want to because they did however they are not supposed to. I have never ever had that kind of experience disembarking a ship. Most call by deck or group you in a color or some sort of organization. They don’t typically just yell at you to get out and have the entire ship standing in hallways to leave. 

Sounds like you never sailed on a small ship with not many guests before. Especially if you sailed on a week days. There is no way to compare a larger ships like NCLs ships. Certainly not apples for apples at all. Totally different ships. Low number of guests are handled totally different on smaller ships.

On week days the ship is only about half full 700 guests or less and Holland Americas Veendam is about the same as the Grand Celebration, even less guests than the Grand Celebration when full and getting off the ship is about the same. The only difference is the length of the cruises. We know you hate BPCL so be it. So happy cursing on your NCL cruises.

By the way. When getting off of the Celebrity EDGE we all stood from the back of the ship to the theater in the halls till they started to leave.

So there are problems with NCL at times also.

A person just posted this returning from an NCL cruise

Plumbing issues galore, I won’t lie I have never encountered this and it was a pain, we had two toilets and midday often they wouldn’t flush for hours, I have heard this is common but it happened everyday.  Hot water was scarce.  Most mornings it would be warm, during the afternoon after days in port when we looked forward to a warm shower it was ice cold.  Also slow drains a few times, a 3 minute shower could overflow into the bathroom at times. I called the front desk 7 times regarding the hot water, asked for the hotel manager, since we were in a suite they said it had to go through the concierge and it seemed to be ignored at that point. I’m pretty easygoing so for me to call at all is a big deal, I got it pretty early on trying to get that fixed was a dead end. 

You can defend these people to me till you are blue in the face.  I have NEVER seen the issues we encountered  on another line. I have never ever in nearly 20 years had an issue that wasn’t fixed quickly at NCL. 

This board is for telling what happened and giving opinions.  I’m giving my opinion that we will not be going with BPCL ever again and that the cost while looking low, it will cost you as much as a weekend short sailing with any of the others. That’s all I’m trying to say her 

. Again, you only have NCL as your reference. Not very objective at all. Fine, never again is your choice. I strongly suggest you read some of the one and two star reviews of your loving NCL. Read and learn. ALL cruise line ships have problems now and then.

18 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

You can defend these people to me till you are blue in the face.  I have NEVER seen the issues we encountered  on another line. I have never ever in nearly 20 years had an issue that wasn’t fixed quickly at NCL. 

This board is for telling what happened and giving opinions.  I’m giving my opinion that we will not be going with BPCL ever again and that the cost while looking low, it will cost you as much as a weekend short sailing with any of the others. That’s all I’m trying to say her 

I literally just got off The Norwegian Sky. I was booked in the Owners Suite. I had a butler, concierge and a hot tub on my balcony. It was the best cruise line I’ve ever sailed on. Although I only have Carnival and BPCL to compare it to. Every time I sail I go first class. Captains Suite on Carnival and the Veranda suites on the Classica and Celebration. I’d be a fool to compare my experience with NCL and the rest.  So I believe that you’re an NCL cruiser as will I be but it will not stop me from taking a short hop across the Gulf Stream to get away from my duties as a caregiver for my husband who has Alzheimer’s. My point is this is a niche cruise line and it serves many purposes for many people. It wasn’t meant to be NCL and you went with idea it would be as good.  Maybe if you booked a Veranda suite and concierge as I do you would have had a better time.

6 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

I literally just got off The Norwegian Sky. I was booked in the Owners Suite. I had a butler, concierge and a hot tub on my balcony. It was the best cruise line I’ve ever sailed on. Although I only have Carnival and BPCL to compare it to. Every time I sail I go first class. Captains Suite on Carnival and the Veranda suites on the Classica and Celebration. I’d be a fool to compare my experience with NCL and the rest.  So I believe that you’re an NCL cruiser as will I be but it will not stop me from taking a short hop across the Gulf Stream to get away from my duties as a caregiver for my husband who has Alzheimer’s. My point is this is a niche cruise line and it serves many purposes for many people. It wasn’t meant to be NCL and you went with idea it would be as good.  Maybe if you booked a Veranda suite and concierge as I do you would have had a better time.

Did you finally get the BPCL rewards

18 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Did you finally get the BPCL rewards

Nope and not happy because they acknowledged that they owe me a free cruise. Quite frankly I’m too busy to deal with it. As I said I just spent 5 days on the Sky so I’ve had my cruise fix for now. Also, I was one of the lucky ones that was booked on the Cuba cruise and I have a good amount of credit on Norwegian  so I booked the Owners Suite for next year. I WILL go to war with BPCL over that free cruise I just don’t have the time. I’m having hurricane windows put in next week. After that I have knee surgery planned. 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:49 PM, RaftingJeremy said:

I am going to point out that other ships have power and A/C problems of which I take it you are not aware of.

Posted. How does a ship with four separate generators lose ALL power like Celebrity Solstice in Seattle?

You can check the posts on CruiseCritic for Celebrity. I suggest you do not cruise on Celebrity now.

You say. "We then stood in the line for an hour and a half with no air conditioning. So now we are crammed in a hot, dark hallway with a few hundred other people and no direction from anyone" You needed to be told where to get off of the ship. Wouldn't you think it is the same place where you got on.  Standing in line for an hour and a half was your fault. Guess you just wanted to be off fast. Well, you will wait in line like everyone else in that case. Your choice. You could have easily sat in the buffet or anywhere on the ship till it started. It moves very fast. Not that many people getting off. Once you are off there are very clear signs about which line for those with passports. You should know that. No ship has any changes to getting off with a passport or not. You should know that also. So you obviously did not know that either and you cruised on other ships? Really. The ONLY time a passport is used is at customs not on the ship. I am questioning your 20 years of cursing on NCL. So much of what you are saying would be from a first time cruiser. Not someone that has cruised for 20 years. "I have NEVER seen the issues we encountered  on another line. I have never ever in nearly 20 years had an issue that wasn’t fixed quickly at NCL. " Do not believe a word of it.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:56 PM, twodaywonder said:

I have NEVER seen the issues we encountered  on another line. I have never ever in nearly 20 years had an issue that wasn’t fixed quickly at NCL. " Do not believe a word of it.

Given the OP's history with CC, I don't believe a word of it either.