Reflection: need recommendations for multigenerational cruise

janmcn

We usually sail on HAL but we see an itinerary that would work for 4 families total, ages 6-76. 1 family with 3 children (7-15), other with two (17,19), other two adults only, and us, the grandparents.

i would love recommendations for a cabin for the family of 5 ( or else we can keep one in our cabin), and recommendations for the best floors/cabin locations for all of us.  Do not want to spend for Concierge Class etc. This is our present to them so we do need to control expenses a bit. Want balcony abins though for all.

thanks heaps in advance...clueless about this ship.

I'm going to start by saying I don't know much about this but I think you may be able to get a group booking as there are so many of you so i would ring celebrity first to check this.  I would choose ordinary balcony cabins 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, on decks 7,8 and 9.  decks thats have rooms above and below.  some of these rooms have obstructed views or guarantee but will keep the price down.  something else you have to consider is whether you all want to be together.  Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

First off I hope you have a wonderful trip - You may have to call celebrity (or a TA) to help with this as for example celebrity has Family Veranda Staterooms (which I think can do ) but require to be booked "manually" vs via a website system.

In regards to deck / location, I generally like a midship (vertical and front/back) cabin when possible. If you get adjoining cabins, you maybe able to have the balconies opened up / connected (if you want)

What some of done with the larger families is either do 2 adjoining cabins or a cabin across the hall. You may want to consider doing a 5th cabin with the 17, 19 year old and perhaps one of the other kids...  Just a thought..... this can also help spread the perks you might take as the 3rd & 4th in each room don't get the same perks 

Last thing is once you do book it, check back on the celebrity site as they run specials from time to time and you can get your reservation repriced at the lower price (at least in the US) - for example earlier this year Celebrity ran a kids sale free promo

Reflection is a very good ship.

For a cabin of 5 you’ll need to call Celebrity or use a TA.

Decks 7-9 mid ship r always my choice, very near the elevators if possible.

On my last Reflection cruise I’ve originally booked the cheapest balcony, but then the prices dropped considerably, and I’ve been able to upgrade for free to Concierge. I had #1132, which was an excellent location.

Other posters have mentioned the Family Verandah staterooms, group pricing and more. I just want to suggest the easiest and best thing you could do. Go find a brick and mortar travel agent in your town that you can sit down with and discuss this all. That’s what they do. And they don’t charge you a single penny for doing it. I can’t endorse anyone on these boards but you should be able to find someone nearby who can figure out if you can get group rates, if the Family Verandahs are open (there are only four on each ship but they are pretty awesome for a family of five) and just basically take care of you. I wouldn’t approach this kind of project any other way. I promise, that’s best advice you will get. 

Best of luck. We are taking our extended family (not as big as yours) to Alaska this coming Friday so we have done this. 

Jim

I don't think Celebrity will allow you to book 5 in any standard balcony cabin....you can book four but that's even pretty tight. I think with 13, you are looking at your 3 cabins with one child sleeping with you idea or booking an adjoining cabin for the 5th in that family (could be mom/dad in one room, the kids in the other.....book it as three in your cabin, but if the kids are small enough, maybe three could cuddle in the pullout bed and the family of 5 could stay together. Celebrity doesn't care where anyone actually sleeps. 

While using a local TA is a very good idea, it has a cost....you likely won't get the same perks and possibly you won't get the same rates because some TA's, generally the large on-line ones, get group rates which are lower than the published rates. (your local TA will likely tell you everyone pays the same rate...it's not true).  I'd suggest you spend a little time calling the large on-line cruise travel agencies (which we can't name here), discussing what you want to do and listening to their suggestions and deals.  At least give that a try and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help! In the end we were able to book a HAL cruise with a great itinerary and were able to get cabins for all as we wanted (yes. we have 1 grandchild with us)...

Cruise Critic folks are the best👍

Jan